Who We Are

Skipping School.

"I'm not allowed to see you anymore," I said softly when Ronnie walked up to me at school. I was leaning against the wall of the building, waiting for the bell to ring just like the rest of the students.

Ronnie's hands were shoved in his pockets. "Do you really care what your dad says?" he questioned, "What everyone else says?"

"He's my dad..." I trailed off, remembering the warning he called back at me before he left for work this morning.

Ronnie glanced to his left, where a group of students stood in a semi-circle, each other them glancing to us, wondering what we were talking about, why things were so tense. Ronnie rolled his eyes at one of the girls and grabbed my wrist.

"Where are we going?" I asked bluntly as he dragged me away from the front doors of the school.

"My house," he replied, "We need to talk."

I pulled my arm from him roughly. Ronnie turned back to look at me with furrowed eyebrows. I crossed my arms over my chest and shook my head. We were standing on the edge of the school grounds, Ronnie just one step away from standing in the road.

"I can't go to your house," I said softly, "I have to go to class or they'll call my dad and he'll know we're together." I bit my lip and watched his expression change to one of understanding.

He stepped towards me anyways and wrapped his arms around my waist, so that our hips were pressed together. He smiled down at me and shrugged his shoulders. "Just come over for a little while," he asked softly, "We can go next door and erase the message before your dad even gets home," he promised.

I rested my hands on his shoulders. "How do you know they won't call his cell phone?"

"They always call the home phone," he stated, "They don't bother parents at work."

I nodded, my thoughts moving on to the next problem with his plan. The bell rang behind us and Ronnie looked over my shoulder at the amount of students making their way into the building.

"Isn't your dad there?" I questioned, becoming antsy as I realized I was running out of time to make up my mind.

Ronnie licked his lips and smiled before he simply shook his head. "He left before we did," he told me, "Won't be back until after school, at least."

"Are you sure?" I asked quickly, hearing the warning bell ring, signaling we had just one more minute until everyone had to be in class.

Ronnie nodded just as quickly and took my hand. "Lets go," he encouraged, pulling me into the street.

I let out an anxious breath and ran with him across the street before any of the school hall aids could check for latecomers. I laughed as Ronnie tugged me down our street, leading me to his house with a gorgeous grin on his face. Our fathers were gone and the day was ours. There was nothing for us to worry about as Ronnie pushed his front door open and yanked me into the building.

He lead me up the stairs and down the hall to the extra door that I didn't have in my house. Ronnie pushed it open and led me inside. I had only been in here once before, when my youngest sister was crying over the death of our mother.

In front of us was a lone window, large and dark from the black curtains shielding the light from his room. On the right wall was a small shelf holding a bunch of DVDs and a nice TV sitting on top. Across from that, against two walls, was Ronnie's bed, perpetually unmade.

"Do you want to watch a movie or something?" Ronnie questioned, taking my backpack from me and dropping it down on the beanbag chair that sat under his window. He kicked his shoes off and then looked back to me, waiting for my answer.

I shrugged my shoulders and slid my shoes off. "Sure," I replied, "What one are you thinking?"

Ronnie shrugged and crouched down in front of his shelf of movies. I climbed onto his bed and laid on my stomach, my face pressed into his pillow. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. My father had been awake all night and I could hear his footsteps as he paced in his room. I'd been awake, constantly wondering what he was thinking so hard on.

"Don't fall asleep on me," Ronnie laughed.

I groaned. "But your bed is so comfortable and I would really like a nap," I replied, reaching blindly for his blanket and pulling it over myself, instantly being surrounded by the smell of him.

Ronnie chuckled and I felt him drop a DVD down on my leg before he climbed from the foot of his bed and laid down next to me. I tried to pull the blanket out from under him, and he quickly got the message, crawling underneath. I strewn my arm across his flat stomach and pressed my face into his shoulder.

"Are you really that tired?" he questioned quietly.

I nodded against him.

"Well wake up and watch a movie with me," he replied, pressing his fingers against my side.

I smacked his chest before I rolled over on my back. I turned my head to the side to look at him. He smiled back at me and rolled over on his stomach. His elbow rested on the other side of me as he leaned on me, looking down at my face.

"I'm glad you came over," he said softly.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Did I really have any choice?"

Ronnie chuckled and shook his head. "Not really."

"I thought so." I reached up and touched the ends of his hair. It had gotten so long and he'd taken to keeping it that way, even though it had been much shorter when he was younger. His long hair looked even better than having it short.

Ronnie licked his lips and for a moment I thought he was going to kiss me, but instead he pushed himself and grabbed the DVD. "I'll put it in."

I sat up and nodded. "Okay, what is it?"

"Just wait," he replied, crouched down in front of his shelf, "You'll see." He closed the DVD player and climbed back up on his bed. We leaned against the wall and I rested my head on his shoulder.

I smiled to myself as he slipped his fingers between mine. Ronnie glanced down and smiled at my smile and I bit my lip so that he wouldn't realize I was smiling much more than usual.

"Oh, Ronnie, come on," I whined, rolling my eyes as the main screen showed up.

"Oh, come on, Kat," he mimicked, "It's a good movie."

"You chose the scariest movie you had in hopes of scaring me so that I would cuddle up to your side and be typical teenage girl," I replied, scooting away from him to make my point.

"But you were already sitting right next to me," he stated cockily, grinning at me. He tried to pull me back to him but I shook my head.

"I'm going to get through this movie just to prove to you that I am not like other girls you've dated," I told him, pulling my knees up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them.

"Kat, come on." He rolled his eyes. "I just really like this movie." He grabbed the remote from the table next to his bed and hit PLAY. "Now come on." He motioned for me to move back to him.

"Nope," I replied, "I'm good right here."

"I'm not." He grinned and scooted to sit right next to me in the same way, the tight black fabric covered his knee touching the blue fabric of my own jeans.

"Ronnie..." I said softly as we watched the movie, just our knees touching.

"What?" he questioned, turning to look at me.

"How come," I started, "How come you didn't kiss me earlier?" I asked slightly timidly, nervous about his answer. I knew that he liked me, hell, he'd tried to make that as obvious as possible, but I didn't know how much or even why.

Ronnie's face fell at my question so I continued.

"I mean, if you don't want to do... things like that, I understand. I just thought that you were interested in-"

"Kat," Ronnie stopped me, shaking his head, "No, no. Don't even go there. I am interested in kissing you but the reason I didn't was because I," he sighed, "I didn't want you to think that the only reason I wanted you to come over was because I wanted to fuck you or anything."

My eyes widened at his blunt words. "Well, I- I don't know." I blushed deeply and turned my face away from him, suddenly embarrassed by what I thought and the absolutely opposite reality. "Oh gosh," I mumbled, causing Ronnie to laugh.

Ronnie pulled my hands away from my face as I tried to shield my eyes from him. "Don't hide," he encouraged, causing me to look at him, "It's no big deal."

"You're insane," I replied, shaking my head.

Ronnie scoffed. "How am I insane?" he questioned.

"Because!" I sputtered, "Here I am thinking you want nothing to do with me and you're trying to be a complete gentleman." I shook my head in disbelief.

Ronnie grinned widely and moved closer to me. He rested his hand on my side and replied, "Maybe I should stop being so polite so that you aren't thinking like that," he suggested.

"Or just tone it down a little bit."

Ronnie nodded, his brown eyes staring into my blue eyes. I bit my lip before he leaned forward and captured both of mine. His palm slid up my side and stopped when I could feel the heat of his skin pressing against my cheek. I rested my own hand on his knee, slightly nervous, and let myself kiss his back without over analyzing it.

Ronnie leaned back just a few moments later and smiled at me. "Now," he stated, "Watch the movie."

I rolled my eyes at him, but cracked a smile when he looked away. Ronnie was one of the most confusing people I'd ever met, but he'd told me how he was feeling and shoved all my worries away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! (:
I finally updated this story!
There are two things I want to tell you...

First: I got my hair cut!
Image

Do you like it?

And the second thing is:

I started a sequel to Trouble-Maker! It's called Infinite!! I hope you'll read it and let me know what you think about it. (: It hasn't gotten nearly the amount of attention that its prequel did, so I don't think very many of my readers have discovered it yet.

There are only seven chapters, but a lot has happened already. This continues Ronnie and Atticus' relationship but it's changed like any normal relationship. They're still in love, but now they're facing the reality that they're going to spend the rest of their lives living the way they are now. (: In love and together forever.

Please read it!
Let me know what you think of it!