Status: Active

Forever's Not Supposed to End

First Date

Matthew's point of view - SIX WEEKS LATER

"And then you walk her home, give her your jacket if she's cold. Kiss on the cheek, no more than that, and then you come back here and tell us all about it!" said Nathan, practically jumping up and down with excitement.

"I know how a first date works," I sighed, fixing my hair. It was growing back nicely and the ugly scar covering half of my head was now barely visible, unless you really knew where to look.

"Yeah but it's been forever since you had a first date, and we don't want you to fuck it up!" laughed Dan, helping my to tie my tie.

"Do I look like a douche?" I asked my brother and band-mates.

"Absolutely not, you look very pretty," said Mateo, smiling and ruffling my hair.

I glanced in the mirror. I didn't look terrible. My blue jeans were baggier than I would have liked, but I couldn't instantly put on ten pounds to fix that problem. I was wearing a white shirt, with a skinny black tie, just to smarten it up a little bit.

"Which shoes?" I asked, walking into the hallway.

"Black Converse!" yelled Nathan and Dan in unison.

I pulled on the required shoes then sat on the couch nervously and waited for the knock on the door.

I hadn't seen Hayley for five long weeks. Her band had been offered shows, and they had taken the opportunity, touring the US as a support band and playing material from their first two albums, which were still pretty much unknown. We'd been texting each other the entire time, until I finally grew a pair of balls and decided to ask her on a real date.

Tonight we were going out for dinner, followed by possibly a movie, if I had enough energy. I'd been resting all week and doing as little as possible, in the hope of charging up my batteries enough to spend the entire evening with her.

There was a knock on the door of my apartment and the three guys raced to answer it. Mateo got there first and poked his tongue out at Nathan and Dan, then opened the door.

"Well hello there," he said, using his best sexy voice. Hayley hadn't met Dan and Mateo yet, and I wasn't sure what she'd make of them, or what they'd make of her.

"Uh.. hi?" I heard her giggle nervously, unsure of who the strange man answering my door was. Nathan and Dan were shaking with silent giggles as they hid by the door.

"Hayley, right?" he asked I saw him lean on the door.

"Yeah. You must be... Mateo?" she guessed. I got my first glimpse at her and did my best to stop myself gawking like an idiot. She was wearing a fairly plain black dress, with black tights and bright purple shoes, that matched with a tiny amount of eye-shadow of the same colour. It was simple, but it worked.

"Oh Matthew, she already knows my name! She's a keeper!" he cried, throwing the door wide open and grabbing Hayley in a hug.

She looked utterly terrified. I stood up and walked over.

"Nice to meet you," she giggled nervously. I noticed she did that a lot.

Mateo finally let her go then Nathan grabbed her in a massive hug, which she returned.

"How was the road?" he asked.

"Incredible. But. I've never gone so long without a shower in my life," she laughed.

"And you must be... Dan?"

"Or Jeezi, or Chizel, or Jon, or Jeezbot, or-" he listed, until Nathan slapped him in the chest to shut him up.

"Well... shall we go?" I asked, twisting my hands together nervously. Mateo shot me a warning look. He'd told me specifically not to do that.

"Yeah, I'll see you guys later," said Hayley with a big smile as the two of us left the apartment.

"I want you home by ten mister!" yelled Nathan down the hallway after me.

"I promise nothing!" I yelled back in response.

I heard the door close and turned to Hayley, grabbing her in a hug, I even got so excited I actually lifted her up off the ground a little bit.

"I'm so happy to see you," I admitted.

"Me too, and you look just... amazing," she beamed as I put her down.

"You look pretty great yourself, I love your new haircut, it's cute," I said, blushing slightly as I complimented her. She grinned at me and mumbled a thank you as we got into the elevator.

Her hair was much less red now, more a light ginger, with a large blonde section added in the front. It was cut into shorter layers and was much messier than she used to wear it. But it suited her and it looked damn cute.

"So, you've been super mysterious about this date... where are you taking me?" she asked as we walked outside into the chilly autumn evening.

"Somewhere special," I said carefully, trying to keep the secret for as long as I could.

"I don't know how I feel about that," she said, narrowing her eyes at me as we got into my car.

"Just trust me OK?" I grinned as I pulled the car out of the parking spot and drove towards where we were going. I'd gone there earlier, to set everything up.

***

"Matthew!" giggled Hayley, as we reached the edge of the woodland and she saw what I had spent my afternoon setting up.

"What?" I laughed as she playfully shoved me a little bit.

"I wasn't expecting a candlelit picnic in the park," she said, smiling.

"But you love it," I smirked as I lit up all the tiny candles with the lighter I had swiped from Nathan. He'd probably curse me later when he was desperate for a smoke and couldn't find his light.

The conversation flowed easily as we sat and enjoyed our picnic, and it wasn't long before I was laying on my back on the blanket, staring up at the stars, Hayley's head on my chest.

"So, this was way more fun than a traditional first date," she said, finding my hand and lacing our fingers together.

"I'm just too awesome for a normal first date," I laughed.

"Maybe you're right. But seriously, thank you, this was a lot of fun," she said, looking up at me and smiling.

I loved the way her green eyes glistened in the flickering light from the candles.

"You should see what I've got lined up for the second date," I smirked, squeezing her hand gently.

"You've already got it planned huh? Well maybe I had something in mind," she said, poking me in the chest.

"Well maybe that can be our third date," I said, unable to keep the grin off my face.

"But aren't you supposed to try and get into my pants on the third date? Isn't that how guys work? Three dates then sex?" she questioned.

"I'm not your average guy, I have a little more respect than that," I said, shaking my head.

"Well you tried to seduce me in Nashville..." she said, trailing her fingers down my arm and settling her hand on my chest now.

"I did not. You totally tried to seduce me, don't try and turn it around missy!" I said, mock indignantly, then starting to tickle her.

She stated to giggle wildly and try to get away from me.

"Uh oh, somebody's ticklish," I laughed, tickling her more and making her wriggle and laugh.

"Matthew - stop it!" she gasped.

I grinned and sat up, pulling her onto my lap and stopping my tickling.

It took a moment for her giggles to subside.

"You look really beautiful tonight," I told her, pushing her ginger and blonde hair off her face.

She mumbled a thank you and looked away.

"Hey, I'm serious," I told her, gently brushing my thumb over her cheek.

"You're sweet," she smiled nervously.

I awkwardly closed the gap between us, gently pressing my lips to hers.

I pulled back after a few seconds and looked at her face.

Her eyes were still closed, her lips slightly parted. I couldn't resist. I kissed her again, more firmly this time and she wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me closer.

"I knew you had a secret agenda," she smirked, pulling away slightly and resting her forehead against mine, eyes locked on mine.

"No agenda, just wanted to kiss you," I said, doing my best to look innocent.

"You're adorable," she grinned.

"Nope. You're adorable," I grinned back.

She shivered slightly.

"You cold?" I asked quickly.

"A little bit."

I pulled off my black leather jacket and draped it around her shoulders, then held her close, trying to keep her warm.

"Perfect gentleman," she smirked.

"Well... I do try," I said, resting my chin on her shoulder and staring out over the city.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and made me jump a mile.

Trying to touch her butt the least I possibly could, I fished my cellphone out of my pocket and looked at it.

1 New Message.

Nathan.

Dude? Like wtf?! You getting laid or something? Hurry your punk ass up xxx.


I laughed at his ridiculous message and showed it to Hayley.

"Damn it's really midnight?" I questioned, noticing the time in the corner of the screen of the phone.

"Uh... yeah? Didn't you now how late it was getting?"

"I had no idea. I'd better get back, or have to face the wrath of Nathan," I giggled slightly. Hayley climbed off my lap and stood up, straightening her dress. I scrambled to my feet clumsily and we started to walk back to the car.

"I'm scared," whispered Hayley as we walked along the trail through the dark forest.

"I would say I'll protect you, but you're probably stronger than me," I laughed, taking her hand in mine.

It fit so perfectly.

We got back to the car and I paused for a second, my left hand going up to my head and rubbing it, barely even consciously, just a natural response.

"Head hurting?" asked Hayley, pulling me into a hug.

"Mhm, a little, I think I'm just tired," I mumbled into her shoulder. I could feel myself falling asleep but I was trying desperately to act like I was still full of energy.

"Let's get you home," she said with a kind smile, and I climbed into the passenger seat of my car, handing her the keys from my pocket.

The next thing I knew was Hayley's lips on my neck, kissing gently. I gasped slightly as I woke up.

"Sorry, but I wanted to wake you up nicely," she said softly, leaning back into the drivers seat.

We were outside my apartment.

"I fell asleep? God damn it!" I said, frustratedly hitting my head with my hand.

"Hey, it's OK, I don't mind. I kinda like watching you sleep..." she trailed off.

"Well... want to come inside and watch me sleep some more?" I asked, I knew I was pushing my luck and being very forward, but we'd shared a bed plenty of times before, just not after a date.

"I'd like that," she said, with yet another big smile.

We reached my apartment, hand in hand, and I opened the door. Nathan, Dan and Mateo were sat around, watching TV. I pulled Hayley into the room and protectively put an arm around her shoulders.

"Oh. My. God. He's brought her home! Dun dun duuuun!" cried Dan dramatically.

"Shut up you guys, and get the hell out," I said, pointing to the door but half laughing at them.

"Can't we watch?" smirked Mateo.

"Nothing's gonna happen, we just came back to hangout," I sighed at their jokes.

"Hangout naked?" added Nathan.

"Out," I said, pointing to the door again. Hayley was shaking with silent giggles as the three guys groaned and got up from where they were sitting in my living room.

"Don't forget to use protection," winked Mateo as he passed me. I felt myself turn slightly pink in the face as I blushed with embarrassment.

I shoved him and waited for Nathan and Dan to leave.

"Yeah Matthew, pro-tec-tion," enunciated Dan as he walked past me, a wide smirk on his face.

"And don't forget to call me afterwards and tell me about every little gory detail," said Nathan, walking past me, the last to leave the apartment.

"You guys are so horrible to me," I said, shaking my head as I closed the door in Nathan's face.

I locked it, just because the last thing I wanted was them coming back in and doing something stupid and embarrassing me.

"I'm sorry about them, they love to be inappropriate and-" I started to apologise, turning back to face Hayley again, but being cut off by her finger pressing to my lips, silencing me.

"I think they're hilarious, don't worry about it. Let's go to bed OK? I'm beat," she said, yawning widely and stretching.

"That sounds like a plan," I said, walking into the bathroom and brushing my teeth. I pulled off my shoes, tie and belt, then undid the top two buttons of my shirt, trying to get more comfortable.

Once I reached my bedroom I found Hayley laying on the bed, wearing my pyjamas, her dress and shoes in a neat little pile on the floor.

"I love how you just wear my clothes without even asking," I grinned, laying down next to her on the bed.

"I just love how your clothes are the right size."

"Are you making fun of me being a midget?" I said, pretending to be upset.

"Not at all. And you aren't a midget, you're just vertically challenged."

"Vertically challenged huh? I like that. But there's one flaw with your stealing of my pyjamas plan," I told her, rolling onto my side to face her and propping myself up on my elbow.

"And what's that?" she said, a flirtatious smirk creeping onto her lips.

"What am I supposed to wear to sleep now?"

She glanced down my body and back up to my eyes, running her finger slowly up and down my chest.

"Nothing?" she whispered suggestively.

"You'd like that, you pervert," I chuckled, getting up to find some extra pyjamas in my cupboard. She faced the other way whilst I quickly changed, then climbed back into the bed, flicking off the light on my way.

"I am so tired," I yawned as she snaked her arm around my waist. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, and rested my other hand on her upper arm, holding her close as she nuzzled her face into my neck.

I loved the affection. I'd missed this.

"You get some sleep, need to recharge so we can do this again sometime while I'm in town," she said, then gently kissed my cheek, so softly it was barely there, but that just made me feel it all the more.

I didn't want to ask how long she was in town for, or how long it would be until she left to tour again.

I just wanted to enjoy every moment as it came.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well what do you know guys, I'm feeling much better! Got my lung infection mostly all cleared up, but I'm still off work, so got to write a lovely fluffy chapter for you all.

Please let me know what you think =D

Thanks for the lovely comments, they make my day everytime.