Status: Active

Forever's Not Supposed to End

Oliver.

Nathan's Point of View

*Two days later*

I rubbed my eyes. They were sore from extreme lack of sleep, and five days of near constant crying.

To be honest, I was amazed I had any tears left.

Every now and then Matthew would come around for a few seconds and stare blankly at me, then go back under. I couldn't take it.

I couldn't take him not knowing who I was, it was killing me.

I sighed deeply and glanced at the clock on the wall. It was almost noon. I wondered where Hayley was... she told me she worked eight until eight... and today wasn't her day off.

A different nurse came in to check on Matthew and I just had to ask.

"Have you seen Hayley today? Hayley Williams?"

"Uh.. she didn't show up this morning, nobody heard from her today," the nurse told me, writing something on some notes about Matthew.

"Thanks," I said, slumping down lower into my chair.

Weird. Why would she just not show up for work?

I spaced out, trying to get some peace from the constant negative energy of the hospital. It was useless. I couldn't escape it. Hayley brought a positive energy to the room when she was here, and I was sure that Matthew took benefit from that. I started at a spot on the plain white wall until a voice dragged me from my thoughts.

"Nathan."

My heart skipped a beat.

I looked down at Matthew, he was wide awake, eyes focused on my face.

"Hey there sleepy head," I said, choking back the tears that threatened to spill. I almost couldn't believe he recognized me.

"Nathan what's going on?"

"What do you mean? You fell down my stairs and bumped your nugget, just getting some tests is all," I told him.

The doctors had told me it was important to keep Matthew calm and at ease if he woke up, and not to tell him the real situation because the shock could be enough to finish him off.

"I fell?" he asked, screwing up his face as he tried to remember.

"Hey. Don't try and think about it too much OK? You're fine, just a little scratch."

Yeah Nathan, the 20 inch surgical incision in his head is just a scratch.

"Hmm," he said quietly.

"Does it hurt at all?" I asked softly.

"A little. My whole body is kinda... tingling. My face hurts," he said, voice slightly slurred.

I couldn't believe how well he was talking. Up until now we'd got broken sentences, and random words, but this was a real conversation.

"That's gotta be normal right? I mean... you fell like... 3 floors..." I lied easily.

"I did?" he said, a small grin on his face.

"You sure did." I forced back more tears. I couldn't let him see me cry.

Seeing him smile was like the whole thing never even happened, it was like the lead weight in my heart had been lifted.

"Was it awesome?"

"No. You falling down is never awesome. I don't want you to get hurt."

Damn. That didn't sound like me.

He looked at me strangely.

"But you love when I get hurt. Payback. For the shopping cart," he said, words so slurred I could hardly understand them, eyes slipping closed again.

"Go back to sleep Matt, its really late, I'll talk to you in the morning," I lied again. Having been in and out for five days he had no idea what time of day it was.

"Mmmnight," he mumbled, drifting back into his unconscious state.

I held onto his hand and leaned back in the chair, closing my eyes, trying to calm myself.

Maybe Matthew would be OK.

Maybe one day he would be back to normal.

Hayley's point of view

I tried to move again, but I couldn't. My legs wouldn't let me.

Pain like I had never felt before was surging through my body.

I knew I had to get up. I had to go to work. I couldn't.

I wedged my feet against the other side of the shower cubicle, bracing them. I grabbed the shower control dial and attempted to heave myself up.

Fresh tears poured down my face, mixing with the icy cold water pouring from the showerhead. It turned cold a long time ago.

The pain was unbearable.

I clutched at my side with one hand.

He'd never hit me where anyone could see. Never leave a mark on my face. He was too smart for that.

Oliver. My boyfriend of three years.

The man I used to love with all my heart, and the man I wished I could run fast enough to stay away from.

We met during my training. He was on the accelerated programme too, he dropped out, just six months before graduation.. he found a certain white powder.

I clung to my side, panting heavily as I shut off the icy flow of water.

My breath was catching in my throat, something in my chest stopping me inhaling all the way.

Those will be your broken ribs, Hayley.

I inched my way to the bedroom, shivering uncontrollably, snatching a towel on the way past.

I dried off tentatively, trying to move as little as possible.

The alarm clock at the side of the bed told me I was over four hours late for work now. I dressed as quickly as I could, scraping my wet hair back and tying it at the back of my head.

***

Twenty minutes later I clocked in. My supervisor glared at me. I explained I would make up the hours, that my boyfriend was sick, that I was making sure he was OK. He didn't question it.

I did my best to stand up straight, biting my tongue to hold back the pain from my ribs and everywhere else.

I clutched at my side again, it was swelling up and extremely tender. My head was starting to spin.

Matthew.

I have to check in on Matthew.

I made my way down the hallway as fast as I could, wincing with every step as pain coursed through my system.

I just about made it to Matthew's room and slipped inside, closing the door behind myself and leaning against the back of it, closing my eyes and breathing heavily, clutching my ribs with both hands now.

"What happened?" Nathan's voice said quietly.

"Nothing. I tripped."

"You tripped?"

"Mhm."

"Over what?" his voice was closer. I couldn't open my eyes. The pain was too much.

"Down.. down the stairs at my apartment."

"Who hurt you?" he asked quietly.

"N-nobody," I whimpered. I opened my eyes, a tear slipped before I could stop it.

Nathan wiped it away with his calloused thumb, tired eyes full of concern.

"You shouldn't be working in this state. Let's get you patched up and home to bed," he said sadly.

The way he said it like he really cared was all too much for me, mixed with the intensity of the pain in my ribs.

As if in slow motion I started to fall forwards, towards him, conciousness leaving my body.

I was vaguely aware of him catching me gently.

I was even less aware of him lifting me easily and starting to carry me down the hallway.

The last thing I knew was the stale cigarette and faint aftershave aroma of Nathan's worn out black tee-shirt as he carried me, then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, isn't Hayley's boyfriend just an all out nasty fucker?

But.... Matthew knows who Nathan is again... so not all bad in story land.

Thank you so much for the comments so far. It makes me grin like an idiot when I see I have a new comment!