Status: Active

Forever's Not Supposed to End

Forever's Not Supposed To End

Matthew's point of view

*THREE WEEKS LATER*

I could hear something. A sound, piercing the silent darkness of my world.

It was Nathan crying. Short, rough sobs that I could just imagine causing his entire body to jolt violently.

All I could see was blackness. I could hear him, but I couldn't see him. I couldn't open my eyes, or wiggle my fingers or toes. I was just... existing in this black abyss.

"Matthew please," he whispered.

Please what? What's going on?

"There's no me without us Matthew. I can't... I don't know what I'll do Matthew... please, just please," he sobbed.

I could feel him gripping my hand, but I couldn't move a millimetre. I was completely paralysed.

I racked my brain for my last memory. It was Nathan's face, smiling but crying, as I was sedated for my surgery to re-attach the section of my skull.

A horrible thought struck me.

What if I was dead?

What if this is what dead feels like?

What if I died on that table?

Maybe this is Nathan, at my funeral, begging me to come back to life so he didn't have to be alone.

It took me a few moments to dismiss this theory, as I could feel myself breathing slowly and my heart beating almost as slowly.

"Please," he whispered. His voice was desperate.

I wanted to jump up and grab him in a massive hug, and tell him I was OK. But I couldn't. My body wouldn't move and my words wouldn't come out.

Nathan, I'm OK. If you're getting this, please know I'm OK. I thought as hard as I could, praying he'd somehow read my mind and get the message.

"Oh god Matthew... " his voice collapsed into uncontrollable sobs and I could hear a familiar female voice trying to soothe him.

Hayley. Doing her best to be as positive as ever.

Please Nathan, don't cry. I'll be OK.

"You promised me forever Matthew! You promised! We're gonna race up the Willis tower when we're a hundred! Remember? You promised me a race, on our hundredth birthday. A hundred and eight storeys up, the best view of Chicago you can get. You promised. Do you remember?" He asked, an eerie calmness creeping into his voice.

Yes Nate, I remember that promise. I also told you if you beat me I'd throw you off the top then jump after you because I could never live without you. That was the day I said it. Those words you'll never let me forget. "There's no me, without us." I'm not even sure where they came from, but it was true. I couldn't be me without you, and you couldn't be you without me. I promised forever. I remember.

I heard Nathan sigh.

"He just isn't ready today. Maybe tomorrow," said Hayley, her beautiful accent was so clear today. I need to ask her where she's originally from.

"But, you've been saying that for five days. Either he's going to come out of the coma, or he isn't. Just be honest with me," sighed Nathan.

Coma?

Five days?

"There's nothing medically keeping him there. It's all up to him now, when he's ready, he'll wake up."

I was screaming inside my own head. I could practically see my fists hammering on the wall keeping me here.

Nathan. I'm here.

"I miss you bad, I need you back," said Nathan quietly, holding my hand so tightly.

I screamed louder.

LET ME OUT!

I fought harder.

NATHAN, I'M HERE.

I used every ounce of strength I had to force my eyes to open.

Nathan cried out and leaped onto me, hugging me tightly.

It took me a few seconds to realize I was actually awake.

"Matthew we lost you twice, I was so scared," he whispered into my neck as he hugged me so tightly I couldn't breathe. His warm tears were soaking through my thing hospital gown.

I raised my arm, fighting its extreme heaviness, and wrapped it around my brother's back.

"I'm here," I said weakly. I had used all my strength to open my eyes, I had nothing left to give.

"I thought you.. I thought you weren't gonna... I thought I... Forever right?" he rambled, letting go of me and sitting back in his chair, but still gripping my hand.

"Forever's not supposed to end. I promised you forever, so that's what you get." My voice didn't sound like mine. The entire left side of my face was numb. The pain in my head was so intense I thought I might puke.

But It didn't matter.

Because I had Nathan, and that was all I needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments and new subscribers <3 Keep 'em coming =D

I understand this story is jumping around quite a bit, and that this was quite a step from the previous chapter.
However, I didn't want to write chapter after chapter of Matthew resting with Nathan talking to him and Hayley keeping him sane. So, I moved it on quickly, so I can get to some good stuff. I was also sick of writing negatively about Matthew, I want to write about his recovery, not the part where he so nearly died.... but anyway... [/rant]