Oh Captain

kiss him

The house is so close to Sebastian’s that he could walk, so Robert pulls into his driveway and Sebastian’s waiting on the porch. Robert doesn’t really say anything on the way to the house, he keeps his mouth in a hard line and Sebastian has to walk fast to keep up with Robert’s long, overly confident strides. He wants to laugh at how straight his back is, that and how the collar of his black polo shirt is popped.

Sebastian doesn’t think that Robert is going to abandon him as soon as they enter, but as he stays close to the wall, and thinks of the walk here, it was pretty obvious. He keeps a cup in his hand just so he doesn’t look so awkward and alone in the crowd. It’s his only company until some kid randomly appears next to him. He looks over at him and the kid nods in greeting.

“My mom listens to your dad’s band,” he says and shrugs, “I think they tried too hard to be Queen in the beginning to really be good but…you know.”

Sebastian looks a bit taken aback, “Um. Okay…” And he starts looking for an escape route.

“I mean. I think she’s just obsessed with your dad really, and the guys he used to kiss on stage,” he furrows his brows for a moment and takes a sip of his drink. Sebastian doesn’t see anyone he really recognizes. But then the boy’s hazel eyes light up and he looks at Sebastian like he just realized who he was, “You know what would fucking kill her? Tell me, is that all for show? Or is your dad really gay? Oh man, she wants to know so fucking bad.”

It’s a bad time to take a sip of the clear liquid in the solo cup and it goes down rough and he chokes a bit and pulls more of a face than usual, the guy chuckles. He holds out his cup and Sebastian just raises an eyebrow though he wants to instinctively take a step back, so his weight shifts a bit to his heel.

“Coke,” the guy nods at the cup and Sebastian just takes it because he doesn’t know what else to do. He only was two cups for a second before the guy takes Sebastian’s original and downs it, he scowls a little. “I’m not a big drinker.”

Sebastian doesn’t even have time to look even more creeped out before the guy starts talking again, “So does he just like fuck around with guys or-“ Sebastian really wishes he’d stop talking to him about his dad, at least, if not in general.

“The more important question is, do you?” A girl giggles and joins them, tugging another girl by the wrist. She smirks, “I’ve seen your dad. It’s fucking hot.”

“Can we stop talking about my dad?” Sebastian mutters into the cup and takes a sip, hoping it’s not spiked or something just so he can seem not so awkward.

The guy grimaces, “Oh yeah, man, totally. Sorry, that must be gross as fuck to think about.”
“Mm,” the girl hums and she stands up a little straighter and looks Sebastian in the eye and suddenly he realizes how pretty she is. She’s soft lines, and big, dark eyes, and long, black hair. And she takes a step forward and leans up on her toes a little like she’s going to kiss him and Sebastian goes a bit cross-eyed unattractively, but she just takes the drink out of his hand. She bits down on the rim a little and smiles over it; the guy snorts to his right and Sebastian just wants him to shut the fuck up.

She takes a small sip before looking down in the cup, questionably and rolling her eyes a little. “How about you kiss Cash here, and then we’ll…”

The guy throws his head back a little as the girl takes a step back and hands Sebastian his cup back. “What is this, sixth grade?” the guy rolls his eyes, “I need another fucking beer for this.”

“Oh Cash, come on.” Sebastian notices a cross around the girl’s neck.

The guy- Cash- rolls his eyes, “You kiss Madison.”

And in one swift motion she turns and does it. When she turns back, she looks at the two boys pointedly. Sebastian just doesn’t get it. It’s not even that he’s against it and she’s so pretty. He just doesn’t get why.

“I was kidding,” Cash says softly but laughs a little.

Sebastian taps against his cup absentmindedly and there’s a moment of silence between the four of them. Just a moment before Cash is in front of him, giving a short nod like a question but Sebastian can’t answer before Cash is tilting his had a little and kissing him.

And he opens his mouth hesitantly and he can’t help but think how fucking weird it is. Not just Cash’s tongue pushing against his, or feeling the cool hardness of the metal in the middle of his tongue, or having a flat chest right against his, but how it’s different but the same.

Cash pulls away and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. Sebastian almost drops his cup. His hands are sweaty. Cash doesn’t meet his eyes not because he’s avoiding them but because he’s throwing an arm around that Madison girl and leading her off somewhere. He almost forgets that the other girl is in front of him.

She has a tongue piercing too.

They make out for a while in this corner of the living room and when they break for air every now and then, Sebastian can only see the legs of other party-goers. He’s not sure how much time they spend in that corner, but they finally break away for good when people start talking about the cops coming. The girl jumps up, saying something about finding Madison and waves before just leaving Sebastian in the corner by himself, flushed and panting.

“The cops are coming,” this time it’s directed at him and he looks up to see Cash looking down at him, a wasted Robert around his neck. “Need a ride?” he asks.

“You were fucking getting it, Seb. I saw that,” Robert slurs.

“Actually. I mean more like need a car, because you’d have to drive.” Cash shrugs and looks at the retreating partiers before looking back down at Sebastian as if he didn’t just say that they should be leaving immediately. “I was planning to crash here but, can’t now. Obviously.”

Sebastian stands and just nods, taking half of Robert’s weight. Cash leads behind crowd of other kids and talks. “I don’t think we ever formally met, man, I’m Cash Caldwell. I’ve known Robert for a long fucking time, he’s annoying as fuck though.”

“Fuck you, you’re annoying as fuck, fucking Cash,” Robert mutters, but he’s talked over.

“He talked about you a lot and like your dad and stuff. That’s pretty fucking sweet, right? Having a rock star for a dad, hmm?” Sebastian doesn’t have to answer most of the questions with shrugs because Cash just keeps going, as if they’re all rhetorical. And he keeps talking as they walk together to the end of the block where his car is. They push Robert into the backseat and Cash waits until Sebastian is about to open the driver’s door to toss the keys over the car. Sebastian doesn’t catch them, but Cash doesn’t see that because he’s already slid into the passenger seat.

He turns the radio up really loud and Sebastian doesn’t say anything because it is his car. Cash screams the lyrics to pop music and Sebastian holds in a wince all the way to his house.

To fill the silence once Sebastian’s pulls into his driveway behind Robert’s car, Cash starts talking again.

“This isn’t even stealthy. You need a sweet way to sneak in- how do you have a rock star dad and are coming in after a party through the front door. This is a disgrace to all clichés,” Cash rambles in a whisper. He takes Sebastian’s keys and unlocks the door, slowly. No light emits from the cracked door and he walks in first, only to also be the first to scream as a voice says “hey, what’s up?” through the darkness.

Sebastian fumbles to find the light by the door and Captain blinks a little rapidly, facing the three teenagers. Cash has his hand tight over his heart, breathing in deeply. He slides to the floor, “Thank you for that.”

Captain scoffs at his sarcasm, “This is my house.”

“I feel old. I almost called the police on this party I could hear from here. Someone beat me to it, though,” Captain feigns a look of disappointment and rolls his eyes as Robert busts out laughing. He meets Sebastian’s eyes and nods at his visible sobriety, “This parenting thing is easier than I thought.”

Sebastian just stands in the foyer for a moment longer thinking about the statement before Robert groans and Cash slaps at his leg and snaps him out of it.