When the Sun Comes Up

I'll Fix it

Gabe smiled as he trailed behind Claudia and Ryland. The pair argued about which one had the worse posture. Eventually they realized Gabe wasn’t voicing his opinion. Claudia stopped and turned on the spot, “Gabe tell him he’s so slouched over his nose touches his knees”

Gabe didn’t really want to get involved but he also figured if he was dragged in he shouldn’t choose a side, he shrugged “I don’t know man but if the two of you had a kid it’d probably look like a fucking candy cane.”

Claudia’s cheeks blossomed red patches but she laughed none the less and said “you’re such an ass”

She walked back to Ryland and left Gabe trailing behind again only this time Ryland and Claudia were talking about getting food and laughing about people at the party.

Gabe felt his phone rang, he dug his hand into his pocket and fished out the phone.
“Hello?”

“Hey so I know we had said I should go for New Year’s Eve but I was getting the apartment soon and I had to go back to Claudia’s and pack and ya know move and stuff so I was busy but I’m here now.”

“okay.”

“so should I meet you guys somewhere or?”

He scratched his head with his free hand, “I uh I don’t know I hadn’t actually thought about it.”

“What am I even doing here? She’s not going to want to see me.”

Gabe sighed, “gimme a sec I’m thinking”

“Gabe look!” Claudia exclaimed.

Gabe’s attention moved to Claudia laughing and Ryland attempting to do a cartwheel. That’s when it hit him, Ryland was in the happy stages of being high and Claudia was kind of buzzed, which meant greasy food would be needed soon.

“hey so I have an idea. Claud’s buzzed so this means she’s really friendly so it’s perfect that you’re here tonight. We’re-”

“What? Claudia drank enough to get buzzed?”

“Yeah she always does when Yvette’s around; actually I’m amazed she’s not completely shit faced.”

“Who?”

“Her best friend growing up, yah know the classic friendship where they met in elementary and grew up to be completely different but are still close because they’ve known each other forever. It’s funny though because they are so different it’s like night and day. Any way we’re going back to Tyler’s and I’ll text you the details.”

“Okay. I’ll be there as soon as I can”

“Alright see you.”

“Bye.”

He typed out the address and checked it to be sure it was the right information before he slid the phone into his pocket. Claudia and Ryland had started arguing again Gabe rolled his eyes but quickened his pace until he was walking beside the two. “Let’s hurry and get back so we can order a pizza.”

“Order it now so it will get there right after we do” Claudia suggested.

Ryland nodded, “good idea.” He took his phone out and stared at it.

“The number is probably in your recent calls list” she offered.

Ryland nodded and poked a few buttons before putting the phone to his ear.

Claudia moved away from him while he was on the phone. She moved over to Gabe and looped her arm through his. “Tonight was fun huh?”

“Yeah, it was nice to see you having fun.”

She smiled, “Everyone is so different though.”

“I know what you mean; they have important jobs, or families. For some of them it seems like a miracle I mean just based on how they used to be.”

She pressed closer to his side, “I feel so pathetic compared to everyone.”

“C’mon you’re not-”

“Well I’m not saying I’m completely pathetic or anything, it’s just I’m not happy. I haven’t been in a long time. I want to just pick up and leave but it didn’t really help the first time so why would it help now? Please don’t interrupt me or like say anything I just, I need to talk. Don’t try to bring it up later I’ll use the I was drunk excuse okay. It makes me sad okay that-I mean everyone seems so happy and like they have jobs they love, don’t get me wrong I love hair and all that shit but the salon thing is just so…I’m over it. All my old friends are married or living with their boyfriends and I’m in a relationship with a guy I get to see maybe a week every two months and quite frankly I don’t think I can do it anymore. I just-“

“so you don’t, you’re gonna break-”

“nope nope nope not talking about this! Yvette is great though huh? She hasn’t changed a bit.”

“Yeah, she’s exactly the same.”

“Gabe?”

“hmm”

She detached herself from Gabe’s side “I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, I-”

“Hey Ry I’ll race you to the next light.” She ran away from Gabe, with Ryland very close behind.

He watched them run across the street and they were probably almost in the apartment by now which is fine because he still had to wait for Kaitlin.

He walked slowly trying to remember everything Claudia had said. He was pretty sure she had tried to tell him she had quit, it’d been almost two weeks since he found out she didn’t have a job and yet she still hadn’t told him. What was that stuff about Pete? Is she upset that they don’t see each other or was she just over the relationship in general. They seemed pretty happy those three days he was in New York for New Year’s Eve. He didn’t get to wonder for too long because a taxi pulled up in front of the building as he got to it.

When the familiar blonde stepped out he ran to the cab, “Hey, no don’t worry I’ve got this.”

He walked around to the driver’s side and paid the fare.

Kaitlin smiled, “you didn’t have to do that.”

Gabe waved it off, “so how do you like the city?”

She shrugged, “I haven’t decided yet but from what I’ve seen its cold and people are rude.”

He laughed, “yeah its home.”

“heh yeah I guess so.”

“How long are you staying?” He asked leading her to the building.

“Just until Monday I can’t stay away from work for too long.”

He pressed the buzzer and heard Nate’s voice “yeah?”

“Lemme in”

The door clicked. Gabe pulled it open and let Kaitlin in before him, “oh hey I forgot to ask, how the new apartment is.”

She pushed the elevator button and smiled, “I’m mostly unpacked. I mean it’s smaller than Claudia’s, what floor?”

He followed her into the elevator, “four.”

She pressed the button, “But I mean it’s in a nice area and I can afford to furnish it the way I want. I dunno I’m just really excited to finally be on my own you know?”

“I thought you lived on your own before you and Claud moved in together.”

She shook her head “no I lived with my dad then I lived in my dorm then I hated the dorms and had started dating Ian and we were like hey let’s move in together and then we broke up I left him the place and I moved in with Claudia and yeah I’ve never really been on my own before.”

He nodded, “it’s a big step, I’ll have to remember to get you a house plant when we go back.”

She rolled her eyes, “oh god not another plant everyone keeps giving me plants, I don’t want to be responsible for them, just buy me some fancy cheese or even a cheap bottle of wine.”

He laughed, “alright no houseplants for you.”

The elevator doors opened and they stepped out and walked down the hall to Tyler’s apartment. Gabe held a finger up to her as he turned the door knob. He looked around Nate, Claudia, Alex and Ryland were on the floor watching TV. He motioned for Kaitlin to follow him in. She shut the door behind her and waited for Gabe to do or say something.

“Hey guys guess who's here.”

Four heads turned simultaneously turned.

“I thought it was the pizza,” Nate said a slight note of disappointment in his voice, “but hey Kait.”

Alex smiled, “hey Kait, Come sit down. Nate and I have been watching this reality show all day, I don’t know why these people are famous but I’m completely invested in their lives.

Ryland glanced at Claudia before saying anything. Gabe thought maybe Claudia did say something about the fight just not to him. It would make sense that he's not the only person she randomly throws her emotions at and then denies it.

Ryland didn’t seem to get anything from Claudia’s expression so he settled for giving a little nod in Kaitlin’s direction.

Kaitlin stepped forward a little.

Finally Claudia said, “Hi.”

Kait gave a weary smile, “hi.”

She sat down near Claudia.

In a whisper Claudia said “I’m sorry.”

Kait shook her head and whispered, “no I shouldn’t have said-“

“Don’t worry about it it’s true.”

“No I don’t really think that”

“no but I do and I mean I’ve always thought it but…yeah I’m sorry.”

Kait smiled and inched closer to Claudia and rested her head on Claudia’s shoulder.

“I should show you around before you leave.”

“I’d like that.”

They left it at that and focused on the TV.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kait,

I'm sorry I never update and that the whole thing has basically just become filler. I mean I'd have important chapters but I change my mind as to what should happen on a daily basis. Also happy three year friendship anniversary!