When the Sun Comes Up

I'll Be Confused

It had been two weeks since Gabe had seen Kaitlin or Claudia so he was pretty excited when he found out Claudia had invited had invited Ryland and Alex to dinner, he decided to tag along. He took his time getting ready making sure everything was perfect, he struggled to pull on his tightest jeans.

“Hurry the fuck up” Alex said barging into the room; “we were supposed to be there ten minutes ago.”

Gabe rolled his eyes at Alex before shoving his feet into his lime green sneakers and
pulling on a hoodie, “alright let’s go.”

“Finally, you know I hate being late.”

“Don’t hassle him, he has to look good for Kaitie!” Ryland batted his eyelashes at Gabe.

Gabe was annoyed; he playfully punched Ryland and attempted to dissuade the accusation on the way to the girl’s town house. He also tried to think of a way to get her alone for a second to see if she wanted to go on a date or something. He didn’t even know why he cared so much; maybe it was because he enjoyed annoying the fuck out of Claudia? It could just be that fact that Kait just hooked up with him then acted like nothing had happened?

Halfway there It hit him that his friends were hanging out with his stepsister, what was up with that? He loved her but she was shy, quiet, and awkward; his friends were outgoing, loud, and reckless, the combination made no sense. There had to be something to this but nothing came to mind, was it possible that they could actually be friends?

He shook the thought off, “hey why are you guys hanging with Claud?”

Ryland looked back at Gabe, “because it irks you!”

Alex rolled his eyes, “She and Kate have been showing Ryland around and I’ve been tagging along cuz I’m bored.”

“So you guys aren’t friends right?” Gabe asked wondering why Ryland hadn’t invited him to see LA; He didn’t know were anything was either.

“Yeah, well I don’t know if they consider us friends but I like them. Kate and I like to cook and Claudia and I just talk about random stuff.” Alex replied parking in front of the house and cutting the engine, “why does it bother you?”

Gabe gave a small shrug, “nah, why would it?”

They left it at that and Gabe followed Ryland and Alex to the front door, He wondered if they’d be okay with him showing up. Had anyone bothered to let the girls know he was coming?

The door swung open, “hey guys! Gabe? What are you doing here, I though you took your exotic dancing classes on Tuesday?”

Gabe gave a small wave but then realized what Claudia had said and punched Ryland in the arm, “What the fuck did you tell her? I don’t do that I have my own sweet ass moves!”

She laughed, “I know I just love messing with you, plus it’s good you came; Kait made way too much food.”

She stepped aside allowing them all inside. The house smelled amazing Gabe breathed in the scent and smiled a girl that could cook was the best kind of girl.

“I’ll go see if Kaitlin needs any help in the kitchen” Gabe said slinking off to see her alone.
Kaitlin carefully too the tray of pumpkin chocolate chip squares out of the oven, before turning around and rolling her eyes at Gabe leaning against the door frame.

“Looks as good as it smells”

“Thanks, they’re my specialty.”
“So uh do you want to go out some time?”

She stirred the tomato sauce, “yeah I don’t think so.”

He stared at her wondering if he had said something wrong.

“You know just because a girl hooks up with you doesn’t mean you have to date them. Besides I’m past that whole oh I need a boyfriend to validate me phase, so yeah let’s go back to you being my friend’s stepbrother or whatever. Oh and can you ask Alex if he’ll give me a hand? I could use a fellow cook’s opinion.”

Gabe walked out of the kitchen, his ego bruised. What confused him most about the situation was that he could have sworn he and Kaitlin were clicking, they just had this connection but apparently she didn’t feel it, apparently she just used him and was done. He made his way back to the living room.

“Suarez she wants you in there.”

Alex excused himself and walked away; Gabe plopped down in the now vacant seat and rested his legs across Claudia’s lap. He wondered if Kaitlin was trying to use Alex for sex too.

“Hello dumb ass I’m talking to you!” Claudia exclaimed tossing a throw pillow at his head. He scowled at her.

She giggled, “I was just telling Ryland that you guys should come buy the salon, I’ll cut your hair for like. . . I don’t know but it’ll be at like a discount. Besides you could really use a trim. So I know Ryland got a job Starbucks what are you doing?”

Gabe gave a small shrug he found it funny that Ryland had readily admitted that since he usually told girls he was in a band and that that’s how he made money. Since the band angle was shot he’d have to tell the truth, “I work at Dominoes I deliver pizza”

She nodded, “oh. So how’s your mom I haven’t talked to her in a couple months.”

He shrugged, “same as always. So uh can I talk to you alone?”

“Can I use your bathroom?” Ryland asked standing up, Gabe smiled at him for leaving them alone.

“yeah, you remember which door it is right?”

He nodded and walked away.

“so uh what did you mean when you said Kaitlin and I wouldn’t be a problem?”

She shrugged, “Kaitlin isn’t into the whole dating thing. She was with this one guy Ian for almost a year, and then his band started getting noticed by record companies and well it ended. It was pretty lame because I really liked him he was a sweet guy. I don’t know I guess after that she just didn’t want to go through that again, or maybe there’s more to it or something and I probably shouldn’t have said all of that. . .I hate that I always have to explain everything.”

“Dinner’s ready” Kaitlin called from the kitchen.

Gabe frowned he obviously couldn’t win her over if she didn’t want to be won over maybe he should just forget about it and move on? Maybe he should just persist?
♠ ♠ ♠
slightly fillerish, next one will be better