When the Sun Comes Up

I'll be put in my place.

“Success has its price, can you hear me now? That I’m dumbing myself down is it filling you with doubt that I am who you thought. I know it’s just a game but I’m playing it to win. I won’t forget from where I came but it’s time to take over,” Gabe stopped singing and signaled for the others to stop playing.

He scratched his chin before stating what was on his mind, “Why can’t we get this damn song right?”

“Maybe you should try it a different way, like maybe make it a slower song or make the music softer so you can hear your voice more? It seems like it’d sound better if you weren’t forcing it to be a dance song.”

“I’ve got to piss” Nate shouted before rushing to the door connecting the garage to the town house.

Gabe rolled his eyes at Claudia’s suggestion, “the whole point of this band is to not take yourself too seriously and you’re gonna tell me to make this a serious song?”

She shrugged, “just an idea gosh, ya don’t have to get all pissy about it. Oh my pocket is vibrating!” She declared pulling her phone out. “Hello? Oh really? Umm yeah sure, no it’s no problem yeah give me a few minutes kay. Alright see you there, bye.”

“I have to go to work do you think you guys can keep from destroying the place till Kait gets back?”

“I thought it was your day off?” Ryland asked setting his guitar down.

“I thought every day was your day off,” Gabe mumbled.

She ignored Gabe’s comment, “yeah but apparently some semi-important person called and wanted an appointment with me. I think it’s just a joke cuz the appointment is under Joe Mama. I mean come on?”

Nate bounced back into the garage and took a sit behind his drum kit. And looked around at everyone probably trying to figure out what they were talking about.

Ryland chuckled, “Joe Mama ha I get it now”

Alex rolled his eyes and moved towards the door, “I’m thirsty anyone else want something?”

“Yeah hold on I’ll come with you” Ryland replied following after Alex.

“Gabe why do you look like someone pissed in your cereal this morning?”

Gabe gave a small shrug and mumbled, “It’s not fair.”

“What’s not fair?” Claudia asked looking through her purse for her car keys.

“It’s just. . .I’ve been here for five months and am nowhere near where I thought I’d be. This is LA things are just supposed to happen. The way they did for you, what did I do wrong why hasn’t it come together.”

She stopped looking through her purse and glared at him, “is that what you think? That I just
moved out here got a job I love and a nice home because I got lucky?”

“Yeah, well that’s the way it sounds, you never asked mom for help or even called us so obviously you were busy living comfortably here.”

Claudia’s face turned a slight shade of pink and her voice rose, “What the fuck do you think you fucking jackass I worked my ass off in Jersey trying to save up enough to move out here. Then when I finally fucking did I had to go to school full time and work full time just so I could afford a crappy roach infested apartment, sometimes I didn’t have enough fucking eat. Did it ever fucking cross your mind that I didn’t want to call because I didn’t want it rubbed in my face that I had made a mistake? No obviously not because you don’t think of anything that isn’t you or your dream right? Well fuck you because I worked my ass off and I met Kaitlin when we were waitressing and she was going through the exact same shit so we moved in to together and you know what even splitting the bills we were just barely making it. Two and a half fucking years after I moved here we finally had enough for a nice place, and I finally had a job that I loved and you’re gonna stand there and tell me I didn’t work for what I have that it all just fell into my fucking lap, because ‘that’s how it’s supposed to happen’. Well fuck you! Eres un pendejo pero tan pendejo; Que es lo que piensas de mí, que?”

She stopped shouting and shut her purse, “ugh Nate will you please give me a ride I can’t find my keys.”

Nate Looked between Gabe and Claudia and finally just stood up and followed her out. Gabe huffed at her and decided his microphone stand wasn’t set up properly. He fumbled with it to keep busy.

“Uh is it safe to come in now?” Ryland asked poking his head into the garage.

Gabe shrugged but didn’t look up, “you should watch TV or go home, Nate left and there’s no point in practicing without a drummer.”

Alex whispered something to Ryland and Ryland left, leaving Alex to poke his head in he studied Gabe for a second.

“Gabe are you okay?

“I’m fine.”

“Okay, well we’re going to hang out in the living room okay.”

“Yeah sure.”

Gabe looked up to make sure Alex had left before sitting on the nearest chair. He ran a hand through his hair, he wasn't quite sure what to think or what to feel. He had just made Claudia angry, and his friends all witnessed it. He couldn't talk about it with any of them because they would judge him or take her side, and the only other person he could talk to hate him and it was all kaitlin's fault. He missed being able to talk to Bianca, having someone who wasn't so involved with all his friends that she could just listen and not take a side. He needed more friends, and he had to keep them away from his current friends.

"hey."

He looked up and lat out a small sigh, Kaitlin was standing in the doorway, and he sure as hell didn't need another problem.

"no offense but I'd rather be alone right now."

"Yeah I understand," She walked into the garage and sat in the chair beside Gabe's, "But this is my place and I say I should keep you company."

He rolled his eyes, "whatever."

"So umm, the guys told me what happened. You shouldn't have belittled her work. You know
she didn't want to seem like a failure so she never called home. She helped me out and you know she knew you were out here before you know she knew."

He gave her a strange look, "what are you talking about?"

"She ran into Ryland a few days before the day you know, you and I met. . ." She trailed off.

Gabe nodded letting her know she didn't have to mention the sex.

"The only reason we know eachother now is because she wanted to see you. I mean I get that she doesn't call you her brother or whatever, but she obviously cares. I mean she's letting you practice here, lent you money for the microphone and the new amps, and does things to annoy you. If that's not family well then I'm not sure what is."

He nodded her words comforted him a bit but it unsetteled him too, "how do you do that?"

"do what?" she asked playing with a strand of her hair.

"one day you're all over me the next you won't talk to me. Then you fuck up my relationship
and don't care, and now you're over here being well like a friend. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

She shrugged and got up, "I'm going to go order a few pizzas you want veggie right?"

He scrathed the back of his neck this girl just enjoyed fucking with him, unless she was really just this complex either way he was in far too deep, "yeah."

His phone rang as she walked away. he picked it up.

"hello?"

"Gabe, I know you're probably still mad but I called Alex and his phone was off, my phone is about to die and I need a ride, Nate ditched me for a date or something, can you or someone else-"

the call ended and Gabe shook his head and got his keys out of his pocket.