When the Sun Comes Up

I'll Be Worried

The loud ringing forced Gabe to reach around in the dark his hand finally closed around his phone. He fumbled with it until he found the right button.

"hello?" he answered his voice thick with sleep.

"Um Gabe someone just tried to break in and I'm freaking out. I-"

Gabe sat up, he was no longer tired "I'll be right there."

He hung up and grabbed his wallet and keys, he rushed to Ryland's room and shook him awake. He was sure he wasn't making any sense, he was so worried his brain wasn't letting him form complete sentences. Ryland however seemed to get what Gabe was saying and took the keys from him and calmly informed Gabe that he would be driving.

Gabe felt useless as he sat in the passenger seat, he wasn't doing anything useful he was sitting there freaking out, while Ryland was handling this all perfectly. Ryland was even talking to him softly asurring him that everything was fine and that he should try and stay calm because if he seemed panicked Claudia might freak out more. He nodded and didn't repsond with words he simply nodded and wrung his hands. He thought of calling her back to see how she was but he forgot his phone back at the apartment. When the car finally pulled up, he raced out of the car and found her standing on the porch talking on the phone.

"no it's fine you don't have to come back, I mean stay with your family, besides Gabe just showed up. No I'll be fine, I'm serious you don't have to come home. Trust me, yes listen to my voice don't I sound fine? See well try to go to sleep I'll call you tomorrow. okay I miss you too bye."

As soon as she hung up the phone her compsure changed she was shaking, her eyes were watering and she hugged Gabe.

"Was that Kaitlin?"

"no, I tried calling her I think she's asleep, uh this was the guy I've been umm. . . yeah he's visiting family too."

Gabe nodded, "did the police come?"

"yeah I filed a report but since I didn't actually see anything. . ."

He let go of her for a second and Ryland swooped in and embraced her. He led her back inside and sat her down on the couch. Gabe followed after locking the door and then making sure it was properly locked.

He stared at the broken window and the shattered glass glistening on the carpet. Gabe sat down beside her, "do you want some coffee? or sugar? mom used to give me a spoonful of sugar when I was scared, said something about how her mom used to do it. I guess the sugar calms your nerves or something, it used to work for me I was scared alot."

Ryland chuckled, "that's why you were a pudgy kid."

Claudia gave a small smile, "no thanks, and hey he was cute and atleast he didn't have huge ears."

Ryland gave a small laugh, "touche. So you should probabaly try and get some sleep."

She shook her head, "I don't think I can I mean I'm not really scared anymore but my head just feels like it's going to explode."

"Gabe why don't you go upstairs and stay with her for a while, I'll clean the glass up."

Gabe nodded and took her by the arm, "alright so. . .work in the morning?"

She nodded, "yeah but I don't think I'm going to go, I'll just take a sick day or something."

He got to her room, she shook her head, "this is going to sound stupid but I want to sleep in Kait's room it's less creepy at night."

Gabe shook his head, "no it's fine", He followed her the few feet to the other room, She flipped the light switch on and stared into the room for a little while before walking in and climbing into the bed.

He turned the light off and walked over to the bed, he sat on the edge, "Gabe will you lie down? you look scary just sitting there."

He lied down and breathed in the scent from the pillow, as bad as he felt that Claudia was alone when this happened, he was really glad that Kaitlin wasn't here, if he was this worried about Claudia who knows how he would have been if Kaitlin was here.

"so when do I get to meet your boyfriend?"

She gave a small laugh, "he's not my boyfriend, we've only been on a few dates."

"well you sounded like a couple on the phone, can I at least know his name?"

She shook her head and gave a small yawn, "not until I'm sure we're official or whatever."

"get some sleep," he whispered.

"I'm not tired though," she replied shifting around a little.

Gabe silently counted backwards from a hundred and before he got to thirty, Claudia had fallen asleep. He could hear the vaccuum going down stairs, He didn't want to leave her alone but he felt he should help Ryland. He carefully got off the bed, but paused when Claudia's phone lit up, it was on silent but she was recieving a call. He reached for it and upon seeing the caller id he answered it.

"hello"

"Claudia?"

"no Gabe, she's asleep."

"oh is she okay? I feel so bad for not being there, i mean if it was me I don't know what I
would have-"

"Calm down Kaitlin, it's fine. She's fine just a little scared. I'll have her call you when she gets up."

"The sun is going to come up in a few hours but I'm still a little scared, my dad went out and I'm home alone and. . .I just I don't know I mean if it can happen in a semi-well lit area in the city whose to say it can't happen in this dark suburb. . .I'm probably over thi-"

"shhh. . .if you want we can talk until you fall asleep or until the sun come up, just turn the lights on and I'll stay up with you."

"you promise?"

"yeah," He smiled feeling useful, "I promise."

He lied back down on her bed and tried to keep his voice down to not wake Claudia but
keep it loud enough so that Kaitlin could hear him.

"So what's your dad like?"

"I think you'd like him, he'll randomly burst into song or point out things that remind him of bands or songs I like, he's still my favorite person to take to concerts."

Gabe smiled, "that sounds awesome, so what about your mom?"

"I don't talk to her, or my sister unless I'm forced to. I don't really want to talk about it."

"Fair enough so have I ever told you about how my other step-sister got me kicked off a field trip?"

"well we went on this trip and I. . ."

"wait no I want to hear this one in person because your facial expressions are the best. tell me something different, tell me about your dad."

"Well I love both my parents but if I had to chose a favorite it'd be my dad. You know I lived with him, I just stayed weekends at my mom's house. He always supported whatever I wanted to do, like I remember my band Midtown was in a battle of the bands contest. And like he put speakers on his car and drove around telling people to go cheer for my band."

"he sounds amazing, I'd like to meet him someday, your mom too. I was talking about her to Claud and she just said the most amazing things about your mom. She seems like a wonderful woman."

He smiled and gave a small sidways glance at the sleeping girl beside him, "yeah my mom's amazing I bet she'd like you."

"Really? I'm always nervous when friends want me to meet thier parents, I don't think i make a good first impression."

Gabe chuckled at how worried she sounded, "trust me, if you're acting like yourself you'll be fine."

She yawned, "you're sweet."