The World Spins Madly On

Mike’s gotten better at telling when it’s going to happen, over the years. He doesn’t know how it happens and he sure as fuck doesn’t have a clue why but he knows that before he fades out of time and fades back in to a whole other place entirely, his skin will prickle and his stomach will churn and his brain will try and somersault out of his head like there’s somewhere else it has to be.

He barely has enough time to mutter a quiet fuck and flee if there’s anyone else around before he’s pulled from the present, his present, divested of anything he has on him, including his clothes, and deposited somewhere else along his timeline.

(That’s the only thing he’s managed to work out in twenty six years of hopping through time; wherever he ends up, it always has some kind of connection to his future or his past.)

It’s happened enough times that he’s figured out a routine: find clothes, establish location, find somewhere to stay to keep safe until the fade out. Mostly, he tries to stay away from people he knows because even though it’s easier when there’re people around to help him, it’s not worth the hassle of trying to explain that he isn’t the Mike they know.

Mostly.

Kevin is the exception.

Mike/Kevin. Loosely based on The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger. Title taken from World Spins Madly On by The Weepies. For this. ~2600 words.