And I Know I'm Not a Memory Yet

02

Drama club wasn't enjoyable as it usually was, if you got a pair of Cameron Hurley eyes and a smirk staring at you the entire time. Mike, who luckily noticed my sudden discomfort, did me the favor of talking during most of the meeting, while I sat in awkward silence avoiding a glance in Cameron's direction.

The hour passed quicker than usual and I hurried into my Silver Cobalt, after saying my goodbyes. All I thought about the whole drive was that Cameron moving back to New York was one in a million. Maybe some higher power wanted me to repair whatever happened in the past, which was very unlikely because I would never forgive that swine.

Not wanting to go home straight away, I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick snack of four crunch tacos, then headed home with a satisfied belly, all the thoughts of Cameron washed away by the thought of food. I pulled into my driveway and saw a small crowd of my neighbors gathered around the house next to mine.

“Aria!” My mom called as I stepped out of my car, staring curiously at the crowd. “Guess who came back!”

“Wait, what?”

“You remember the Hurley's right? Cameron Hurley?”

Don't fucking tell me...

“Cameron!” My mother called, pushing me into the crowd. “Cameron! You remember Aria right?”

My neighbors moved away and I was once again sadly gifted with Cameron's presence. He was doing that same signature smirk, that I was getting tired of seeing.

“Is that the only expression you know how to make?” I mocked.

“It just happens whenever I'm around you.” He gleamed.

The adults began to talk among themselves and my neighbors, who happened to range from freshman to junior girls, surrounded Cameron and I like birds around a crumb.

“Do you remember me Cameron?” A sophomore name Alexa piped up. “I was the one who bought that big banner to your soccer game, five years ago!”

“Yeah I remember!” He obviously lied. “You've gotten more prettier than I last saw you.”

I rolled my eyes after Alexa let out a smitten squeal. If you were as smart as I were, you'd know that everything Cameron said was an act. An act to most likely sleep as many girls as he can.

“What's your name?” He asked the blonde girl next to me.

“Stephanie.”

“Well Stephanie, how would you like to go on a date with me this Saturday?” He received a yes in a heartbeat. “Alexa, are you free on Sunday?” With that, he asked out every girl around us on a date, except for me, and they all without a thought, said yes. The thought that Cameron were rotating the girls did not occur to their little impulsive minds.

“Jealous?” He whispered, leaning over to me.

“Not a bit.” I scoffed.

I honestly wasn't.

Xxx

If you saw me in 7th grade at the time, you would've titled me as the happiest little 12 year old you've ever seen.

At the dance, Cameron pulled me aside and asked me out, without a single explanation. Being young and naïve, I didn't question his sudden actions and said yes.

A day after, I began to hang out with him quite often, like a flea attached to a dog. I've never met his friends, which was fine by me because they were cruel people. We held hands for the first time and as cliché as it sounds, it send an electro shock through my body. If touching someone felt this sparky, then he must've been right.

We did all the stuff that couples did. One day, he even gave me a real kiss on the lips and I swore I had no idea what reality even was anymore.

It made me wonder how fast life was changing. To think that he was once an enemy against girls and I hated him for it. He was arrogant and cocky, and everyday I swore I would defeat him at his own game. He would be the one to kiss my toes for once. He would have to acknowledge me, instead of not noticing who I was, when he passed me eying him down from my front porch.

Eventually, I was smitten with what I foolishly called, “love”. All my hatred went away when I began to notice Cameron changing. He grew cuter and his attitude towards girls went down. I couldn't explain how bad I wanted him to notice me, so I began changing as well. I did all I could to make myself prettier, talk louder so he would glance in my direction, and stand in his general view. Anything for him to look at me. I spent nights thinking about him and what our relationship could've been.

Now, I'm here giving kisses and hugs like we were never enemies in the first place. Life was perfect. It really was.

However, it only lasted for a brief amount of time when I soon discovered the type of person Cameron Hurley really was.

Xxx

I was happy in my relationship, so I could care less what people thought about us. Rumors and lies were spread that I was being a bad girlfriend and how Cameron could “do so much better.” Everyone became jealous and I was loving every minute of it. I was infatuated with the fact that I could tell everyone that I was in a relationship, with a hot guy too. There was a particular fabrication going around, not around the student body, but to his friends. I didn't know what it was because they all had their heads huddled whenever I walked by.

Wanna know the sad truth about this whole ordeal? I overheard Cameron telling his friends that he could “do it” and “I win the bet.” The bet? That he could get a girlfriend by the end of the dance. I watched in horror as his friends paid up and he got pats on the back.

That day, I've never cried so hard. He was only using me for that stupid little ass bet to his stupid little ass friends. He could've picked any girl. He literally could've picked anyone. He was popular and cute, they would've said yes. But no, he picked me instead. I thought as hard as I could, wondering why he picked me in the first place. It wasn't because I was easy to get apparently.

It was because he still hated me.

What's a better way to get back at someone than to pretend to like them then break their heart? I was positive that Cameron knew my feelings towards him, I told him that I loved him one night on my porch and he said the same thing. This wasn't love. It was just a damn lie. Love doesn't exist, only stupid people.

So I wouldn't trust Cameron if I were you, because he was nothing but a bag of bullshit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm on a roll with this story. It's also my favorite to write, along with my Connor McDonough story :)

Thanks for the comment ThatGirlRosie. for the 2nd comment bwahaha!

Please comment and tell me what you think. Thank you!