And I Know I'm Not a Memory Yet

03

I woke up this morning with dried tears, a salty smell on my pillow, and absolutely no energy. I reached over across my nightstand and grabbed a mirror, poking under my eyes where dark circles loomed. I had no recollection of last night except for the vague memory of collapsing on my bed after I found out that Cameron and I were neighbors again. I reluctantly climbed out of bed and glanced out the window at Cameron's room. I'm assuming it is because that's where his old room was. Even when he was directly across from me back then, he still didn't notice. My heart jumped when I saw a figure emerge from a corner. Cameron was shirtless and....I gulp....in his boxers. He had nothing to show off, but it was satisfying to see that he had no extra body fat. He turned around and I quickly closed the blinds, not wanting him to know that I was staring at him. I don't even care about him anyway.

I took a little extra time than usual, applying eyeliner, plucking out extra hair between arched eyebrows, and doing all I could to get rid of my the dark circles. I was such a girl now. Back in elementary and my beginning intermediate days, I could care less about being beautiful. Sure, presentable, but not beautiful. Here I was, like every other girl, fixing natural features with man-made products. When was the last time I even played outside? Ran around? Play soccer?

“Aria! Come down!” My mother boomed from downstairs.

I grabbed my purse and headed downstairs, where I was greeted by the smell of bacon, eggs, and a sickening odor of axe.

“What is he doing here.” I said flatly, glaring at Cameron who was scarfing down toast, smothered in dripping butter, topped with a mound of eggs and three bacon slices.

“I invited Cameron for breakfast, because both his parents already left for work. I thought he would want some of my homemade cooking.”

“Tsh ish gmnft.” Cameron nodded happily, his cheeks bulging.

“Cute.” I roamed the fridge for an apple.

“Don't you want to sit down and have some breakfast?”

“Thanks, but no thanks.” I replied, successfully finding an apple. “I'm heading out early.”

“An apple, that's all?”

“I don't want bacon slices stuck in my teeth.”

“C'mon,” Cameron, who already finished his toast, was reaching for another slice of bacon. “You're too scrawny. Have some eggs.” At that moment, he stabbed his fork in the pile of eggs.

“No thanks. I don't want to start gaining any fat,” I said smugly, staring as he shoved the forkful of eggs in his mouth. “Better watch it.”

Cameron shot me a smirk and I turned away.

“Oh! Take Cameron with you!” My mom called, my hand already on the door knob.

“Why?” I spat. “Can't he drive his own car?”

“Cameron doesn't have a car, so I was wondering if you two could carpool.”

“Why should I? Really why? In case you haven't figured out, Cameron and I aren't friends.” I was getting annoyed with the fact that no one knew that I hated him. “He didn't even know I existed until middle school! Why should I let him sit in my car, when he he was being a little bitch to me!”

“This again?” Cameron groaned under his breath.

“Aria, you're being ridiculous.” My mother crossed her arms, which was never a good sign.

“I”m ridiculous? You wouldn't think so if you were the girl he pushed back in sixth grade.” I scoffed, storming out the door.

“Please excuse my daughter,” I heard my mom apologize from inside the house. “She's just a little grumpy because she has no drama club today.”

I was in the moment of putting my key through the keyhole of my car, when Cameron jogged up to me. “Hey there. You giving me a ride?”

“Why should I?”

“Because you're a nice and considerate person? And because your mom said so?”

“I don't have to listen to my mom. I'm turning 18 in like two months.” I turned and stared icily at him. “I'm not nice and considerate, especially for someone like you.”

“You used to be nice to me.” He commented. “Back when you liked me.”

“Are you really bringing that up? Really?” I was just about ready to punch him in the face. “Because if you haven't figured it out yet, I don't like you anymore!” I shook my head. “Why even bother? You never liked me anyway.”

“Who told you that?”

“Look next time when you decide to talk shit about someone, don't tell your loud and obnoxious friends, okay?” I sneered. “I bet you regret it now.” I grabbed his hands and placed them on my waist. “I thought you liked scrawny? Because you sure like the new me, better than the old one.”

He looked at his hands and let out a low whistle. “Are you trying to seduce me?”

“I knew it!” I shoved his hands away. “You really are as stupid as you look!”

I hastily threw open the car door and got in, purposely hitting Cameron's knee with the car door and slamming it with a satisfying shut. I backed up and flipped him off. I drove away and laughed to myself, seeing Cameron stand there dumbfound in my rear view mirror.

Xxx

“Name?” For the first time today, Mr. Brotch, my graphic design teacher, actually spoke. It was a rare occurrence, because everyone just about knew what they were doing and worked their own pace.

“Cameron Hurley.”

I looked up from my computer and saw a sweat drenched Cameron standing at his desk. I groaned under my breath, which I realized I've been doing a lot of recently.

“Why are you late Mr. Hurley?”

“I had to walk to school.” I felt Cameron's eyes burning into me.

“Next time, take a bus.” I heard the sound of scribbling. “Take a seat at any computer that's not taken.”

I stared into my purse as I felt Cameron grab the seat to the right of me. “Hey there.”

“Why do you keep stalking me?”

“It's called fate.” He answered in a mater-of-factually voice, which he had no right to use at all. “We were obviously meant to be.”

“Ha! If only you thought that back in elementary.”

“Why are you so hung up on elementary? Seriously.”

“I don't want to talk about that. I don't even want to talk to you anymore, so leave me the hell alone. There's someone who sits here anyway.”

“Are you just saying that to make me go away?” I didn't respond. “Okay fine, let's talk about something else okay? No wait. I'll just stop talking. You talk to me, ask me questions whatever. You're not allowed to call me names or tell me to go away, okay?”

“Calling off the shots like you always do?”

“C'mon Aria, maybe we can be friends.”

“Fine, whatever. Do you still play soccer?”

“Nope!” He grinned.

“That's a surprise.” I answered in a monotone voice, continuing to stare blankly at my photoshop. “Really.”

“Sure, I appreciate a few games now and then, but I picked up a new hobby. Wanna guess?”

“Not really.”

“Guitar!” He waited a few seconds. “Are you impressed?”

“My mood remains unchanged.”

“You need to lighten up.”

“I'll lighten up with someone else.”

“But don't you think it's cool though? Maybe I can serenade you one day.” He made a little clicking sound with his tongue and I rolled my eyes.

“Gross.”

“You won't be saying that, when I become a famous rockstar. You like rockstars right?”

“What's up with you and your motives to try and impress me? Get this through your head. I don’t give a fuck and I don't want you sitting next to me.”

“You're the only one I know in this class.”

“That girl over there who wants to know you. Sarah McPherson has been making googly eyes at you.” I pointed out. Cameron looked over his computer and gave the cute brunette a wink.

“Unbelievable. Are you always gonna be such a big flirt?”

“If there are hott ones around, then yeah.”

“I recalled that you hated girls, during a certain time period. I'm pretty sure you remember?”

“Aria, seriously. Get out of the past. I've changed my ways.” His thick eyebrows furrowed together.

“Yeah. I totally believe that. You've changed from arrogant sexist, to an arrogant pig! Congratulations! Want a medal?”

“Sorry I'm late!” A new voice bursted into the room, before Cameron could respond. “I got a pass!”

“Just sit down Casey.”

The boy wit the dark tousled hair, dressed up in black skines and a plaid shirt approached Cameron's seat with a frown.

“You're in my seat bro.”

Cameron took one look at me and I shot him a smug smile. With a sigh, he quickly picked up his backpack and stood up. “Sorry man.”

“Told you.” I whispered, when Cameron walked past me down the aisle. However, he didn't seem to hear me, because he quickly shuffled over to to the empty seat next to Sarah, with that stupid smirk planted on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, my new character, Casey is introduced! More on him later.

Well thank you guys for the feedback :) I hope you guys can continue to tell me more on what you think :D