‹ Prequel: The Paris Escapade
Sequel: Hunter's Strike

Nightmare City

Chapter 14 - Reaching Out, Fingers Grasping

I walked back to my room alone. Ciel and Anais had other things to discuss, work to be done. I had little to do, or to look forward to, I couldn’t even protect myself against an attack.

I dragged my feet as I walked down the hallway, my head bowed. Twice in one day my old life had seeped through the cracks of my mind. I had seen a girl that I was certain I recognized, and encountered a woman who I didn’t, but who was likely after my head.

So engrossed was I in my own thoughts I didn’t notice Dr. Smythe until I bumped right into him.

I looked all the way up at him, and he glared down at me in mild disapproval. He didn’t say a word, and instead walked past me.

“Oh, Doctor Smythe, there was a woman looking for you earlier today.” I reached into my pocket and pulled out the slip of paper Anais had handed to me earlier. “It looked like she’d been here a few times.” I held the paper out to him.

Dr. Smythe took the paper and glanced at it. “Angie Statton? I don’t know that name.” He handed the paper back to me. “Just discard that.”

“Are you sure you haven’t heard of her before?” I asked, halfheartedly hoping for some small grain of information about the girl I had recognized, but could not place.

“She’s probably a reporter, or worse, a protester.” he answered.

“Protester?” I asked. “She did look particularly disagreeable. But, why would there be protesters for a birthing clinic?”

“No one is protesting the birthing clinic. It’s about another of my businesses. I provide free abortions to women who have low income.”

“They ask you for this?” I asked, slightly confused.

“Of course.”

“Then why would someone object?”

Doctor Smythe shrugged one shoulder dismissively. “It’s not for me to guess the human mind’s secrets. There are those that simply feel that a fetus is a living thing that deserves life at all costs. Some are very vocal about it. It doesn’t worry me, as long as they stay outside.” He continued walking down the hallway.

“Oh. Well, good night.” I called after him half-heartedly. He didn’t answer.

I went into my room and the first thing my eyes fell on was the telephone next to the bed. It was a beige, wired contraption that belonged two decades ago. I looked down at the paper in my hand, then back to the phone. The next second I was sitting on the bed, receiver in hand.

I dialed the number quickly, excitement building in my chest. It picked up on the second ring and my heart shot up into my throat. “Sorry, Evangeline’s phone is off right now, or she forgot to change the battery.” a prerecorded message answered. “Don’t leave a message, she never checks them. Call back never.”

A beep followed the message, but I sat unmoving on the bed, clutching the receiver tightly. That voice, that was my voice, before I shrank! I recognized my voice on this girl’s phone! It was true, she did know me!

She just hadn’t recognized me... and she probably wasn’t going to while I looked like this.

My heart sank. How long was it going take to grow back to an adult? I couldn’t starve myself completely, it was too dangerous. I was still too weak to survive without food for very long.

Just thinking about food made my stomach ache. I slid off the bed and exited the room. There was a kitchen on this floor that Ceil and Anais used to store their fluids, but I passed it. Dr. Smythe kept his pig’s blood in a small refrigerator in his office.

By the time I reached the refrigerator, I had my hand on my stomach and I was moving slowly. My encounter on the roof had taken more out of me, emotionally as well as physically, than I had thought.

I opened the refrigerator, which was full of unlabeled white bottles. I was so hungry I drank the first one cold. Cold pig’s blood is awful stuff, gelatinous and sticky. It doesn’t so much as slide down your throat as much as it slithers.

The next two I tried to microwave. I put them in the box above the refrigerator and contemplated the button pad for a moment. I knew how to do this, I just had to remember.

‘It’s three minutes on half heat, how many times do I have to tell you?’

I pressed the buttons and the microwave hummed to life. There, I knew I would remember.

Before the microwave finished beeping I had pulled out both bottles and was draining one, then the other. Finally satisfied, I tossed the empty bottles out and headed for the door.

As I drew near, I could hear footsteps in the hallway. Two distinct sets, both trying to move silently. I paused, listening.

“Are you really sure you want to do this?” a male voice whispered. “If you get caught you’re looking at jail time.”

“The most they’ll do is throw us out.” a female voice answered dismissively. “There’s no guards here, and I haven’t seen one camera.” The footsteps stopped right outside of the office. As I watched the door, the knob turned. “We’re not going to get caught.” And then, Angie Statton stepped into the room. She froze when she saw me, her hand still on the knob.

A jumble of emotions filled my chest like a balloon. Surprise,confusion, and joy surged inside of me. “You’re back!” I cried happily.

A blonde man towered behind the girl. “Who’s the runt?” he asked in mild surprise.

“I have no idea.” She kept her eyes on me, a look of frustration on her face. “Well, this is just great.”

I reached out quickly and took her hand in mine. “You know who I am, don’t you?” I asked fervently. “You know my name?”

“It seems like he knows you.” the man observed.

She pulled her hand from mine, her expression pained. “I met him today in the lobby. This is what Smythe has instead of security guards.”

“Adorable children? Not an oft used tactic, but effective in certain situations I will grant you.”

“No!” I exclaimed. “You know me.” I placed both hands on my chest. “I’m different now, younger. I knew you before I lost my memory.”

She stared at me a long moment, her brows drawing together slowly. This was it, I could feel it in my chest. She was going to recognize me now. She was going to say my name, and once she did the doors in my mind would all unlock and my memories would come back to me...

“I don’t know who you are.” she said finally. She turned to the man. “Let’s get out of here before someone else comes along. This plan is bust.”

They left then, walking back down the hall, with me gaping at them. “No!” I cried, hurrying through the doorway. “Come back here!”

The girl turned her head, looking back at me over her shoulder. “Look, if we do know each other, tell me how.”

“I... I can’t.” I clenched my hands, my tiny claws biting into my palms. “I told you, I lost my memories.”

“Then, how can you be sure we know each other?”

“Because... I recognize you. Your name, your face, everything about you.” My eyes began to well up and I sniffed to clear my nose. “I can even see that something is wrong with you.”

She paused, but didn’t turn around. “What do you mean?”

“You’ve changed.” I said miserably. “You’re too hard now. You used to be so much softer, too soft for your own good. But now you’re different, something has changed you, made you harder. You’ve got a shell around you that wasn’t there before.” I stared at her back intently. “Or maybe it’s a shell that was always there, but you never let me see it before. Not the old me, the ‘before’ me.”

She closed her eyes briefly and let out a small sigh, then turned her head back to the front. “You don’t even know what you’re saying.” she said dismissively.

I straightened my spine, squaring my shoulders. Something new was coursing through me, making me feel taller, stronger. The door in my mind opened a crack. “Evangeline.” I said, and a different voice came out of my mouth. Deeper, more commanding. “Did you forget about me that easily?”

Her whole body stiffened, her shoulders jerked. She whirled around, her eyes angry and accusing. We stared at each other for a long time, both of us searching for what was right in front of us.

After a while she composed herself, letting the air out of her tires a little. “Chris, bring him.” she said quietly and turned back around.

The tall blonde man towered over me again. It just wasn’t right for someone to be that tall and not fall over. He was thick too, with broad shoulders and a trunk-like torso. He reached down and wrapped one of his tree-like arms around my waist, then hauled me up easily. “Come on, kid.” he said, surprisingly gently. “Let’s get this all sorted out.”

I hissed indignantly. “I can walk.” I exclaimed, my voice childlike again. “Put me down this instant, you behemoth!”

The man, Chris, put his hands under my arms and lifted me up. He was careful to keep me at arm’s length, as I flailed my arms wildly. “Evie, I think this kid’s a bloodsucker. He’s got these teensy little fangs...”

“I know.” Evangeline said quietly, not pausing.

Chris tucked me back under one arm and followed. “Stop ignoring me! I can walk on my own!” I hissed again.

“You sound like a belligerent kitten when you do that.” Chris smiled amicably, but did not release me. “If I carry you, we’ll go much faster. How fast can you walk with those tiny legs?”

“That’s it, I’ll kill you!” I pounded my fists against his arms, his side, but my blows had no effect.

He lifted me up again, his expression stern. “You cut that out right now.” he shook me a little. “I can take you punishment, but f you act this way towards Evie, then I’ll give you such a-”

“Chris.” Evangeline cut him off.

The man’s eyes narrowed. “I’m watching you.” He pointed one finger at me threateningly.

I took my chance and lunged, sinking my teeth into the man’s finger. He let out a string of curses as he pulled me off him. He promptly dropped me on the floor, where I landed on my hands and feet. “Chris.” Evangeline warned again.

“But he bit me!” he complained.

I hurried up to Evangeline. I walked beside her, looking up at her profile. “You remember me now, right?” I asked anxiously. “I remember more about you.” I glanced back at Chris. “That man’s your brother, right?”

Evangeline didn’t look at me. “I didn’t forget you.” she said stubbornly. “I’m just having a hard time believing you are you. Right now I just want to see Doctor Smythe. I want this day to be over already.”

“Are you a protester?” I asked, concerned now. Even if I did know her, I didn’t want to bring trouble to the man who helped save my life.

She looked down at me. “Protester for what?” Then she looked away quickly, as if looking at me disturbed her.

“Well, why are you here, then?” I ignored her discomfort for now. I was sure it had to do with my current appearance, which I could explain to her later. “I know you didn’t come here to get me.”

“I’m here to speak to Doctor Smythe about his Fertility Clinic.”

“This is a Birthing Clinic.” I pointed out to her.

“He owns a few businesses, all of them related in some way.”

“Well, he’s usually in the lab, when he’s not in his office.” We came to a crossroads and I pointed right. “It’s this way.”

The three of us turned down the hallway, this time I was in the lead. “So... how long was I gone?” I asked, feeling apprehensive. “I’ve only been awake for a few days, and I don’t remember much.”

“Three weeks and five days.” Evangeline answered, her voice hard.

I hesitated for a long moment, then asked quietly “What’s my name?”

She pretended not to hear me. “Is this the lab?” she asked, gesturing up ahead. I nodded and she quickened her pace till she was ahead of me. She rapped sharply on the door.

“Enter.” Dr. Smythe’s voice seeped through the wood.

She opened the door and the three of us stepped into the lab. Dr. Smythe glanced up from the microscope on the counter in front of him, and surveyed our little group. His eyes fell to me last and he frowned.

Before I could think of what to say, Evangeline stepped forward. “Doctor Smythe?” He nodded briefly. “My name is Evangeline Statton. I am Executrix of the Riley Estate.”

For the first time, I saw a glimmer of excitement on Dr. Smythe’s face. He straightened up, standing tall. “You’ve come to rethink my offer, then?”

Evangeline shook her head. “It’s my sad duty to inform you that the material you that even if I wanted to accept your offer, I cannot. The fertility clinic that Ms. Riley used was broken into a few weeks ago. Her materials were destroyed, along with everyone else’s.”

Dr. Smythe shook his head sadly. “A tragic loss. Why are you here then? Surely it wasn’t to decline my offer personally.”

“Well, to be honest, I suspect you of being behind the break in. You or one of the vampires working for you.” She had her hands in her pockets, and I was struck with an odd sense of familiarity. I couldn’t recall it as a habit of hers, but I recognized the gesture from somewhere...

“I see...” Dr. Smythe’s had his poker face on, which honestly, was his default expression. “If that were the case, why would I still send repeated offers for the material?”

“Because if you suddenly ceased your offers, it would look even more suspicious.” she answered without missing a beat.

The doctor’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly. “This is the first I’ve hear of you, Miss Statton. I was under the impression that David Lucien was handling the late Ms. Riley’s affairs.”

She had a ready response to that as well. “Mr. Lucien is attending to other matters.” She paused. “I’m the only one left in charge.”

Dr. Smythe stepped around the counter, towards our group. “And you think you can wrap everything up on your own?” he asked. “One human adrift in a vampire world?”

“She’s not alone.” Chris spoke up from the back. “I would think twice before you try anything.”

Doctor Smythe stepped forward. He was so tall, he practically loomed. I stepped in front of Evangeline, my arms spread out. “I know her, Doctor.” I said frantically. “Don’t hurt her, she can help me get my memories back.”

Doctor Smythe looked down at me. “I have no intention of harming the girl. If you knew me better, you would not accuse me of such a thing.” He turned his eyes back to Evangeline. “Human beings are, after all, extremely precious to us and our kind.”

Chris rolled his eyes. “That’s the first I’ve heard of this. Seems to me we can’t go two steps without being attacked.”

“Actions of the foolish, and the short-sighted.” Dr. Smythe replied. “The young ones, new to the world, are born with a frenzy inside of them. That tempers over time, into patience.” He spread his arms out grandly. “What would the world be, if all vampires succumbed to that frenzy? To kill indiscriminately, glutting ourselves at whim? What would happen then, when all the humans are gone? Would we then turn on each other, till we are all destroyed?” He lowered his arms. “No, human beings are precious, and must be cultivated, for everyone’s survival.”

“That’s an... interesting point of view.” Evangeline said carefully.

“One I wish more of my kind shared.”

“I’ll be blunt, then. Did you have anything to do with the destruction at the other fertility clinic?”

He shook his head. “I did not, and I am saddened at your loss. Katrina Riley was a fine specimen. It’s a shame she never reproduced. I’m afraid we shall never see her like again.”

Katrina Riley! The name slammed itself into the side of my head like a physical force, making me falter. The door in my mind flew open, memories pouring through faster than I could process. I clutched the counter, trying to keep myself upright, my surroundings fading away.

Katrina Riley, my greatest enemy. No, the greatest hunter in the whole world. Her red hair was like a flame, and I a mere moth, drawn to her over and over again throughout the decades. Our battles were an intricate dance, one where the steps were always changing, growing in complexity.

She was danger and excitement rolled into one. Glaring green eyes over the barrel of a silver revolver. She was a hunter of my own making, and the only means by which I ever wanted to die.

I felt the fresh memory of a tight hand on my throat, my feet dangling helplessly, while I stared into bright green eyes that held no remorse. I had not recognized those eyes, nor that glowing red hair. I had not recognized Katrina Riley as she held me out from the roof’s edge.

I hadn’t recognized her, because that was no longer Katrina Riley. She was a vampire now.

A voice cut through the storm in my head, a lighthouse on the rocky waves of memory. “Are you all right? What’s wrong?!” I tried to speak, but gibberish spilled from my lips, a hundred conversations from a dozen lifetimes, thousands of thorny vines crowding my head. “Gabriel!”

That name, my name, cut through the vines, heralding clarity and union. The whole mess began to sort itself, puzzle pieces falling into place. There were fragments missing still, like holes in Swiss cheese, but the framework of my memory was once again sound.

I opened my eyes, and saw the ceiling above me. Evangeline hovered in my field of vision, the concern in her eyes chasing away the last of the fog. “You said my name.” I pointed out to her. “You know it’s me. And now I remember.”

“I’ve met Nora, so I know that... form is possible.” she answered, looking away. “I just didn’t want to get- to be-” Here she faltered. She pulled herself together, anger taking over. “You stupid idiot! How could you go and get yourself killed like that? I can’t leave you alone for five minutes without something catastrophic happening!”

I gave her a weak smile. “Were you worried about me?”

Her cheeks flushed. “Of course not!” she exclaimed, too loudly. “I thought I was finally rid of you, once and for all!”

I sat up, feeling much better now. Everything about me had come back, my entire personality was restored. And I relished in her discomfort. “And yet here you are, continuing the investigation we started.”

“What was I supposed to do? Leave everything as it was? An empty grave, a destroyed lab, David gone missing.” She folded her arms across her chest. “At least give me some credit.”

“Well, I guess I could spare you some.” I said graciously.

Dr. Smythe was kneeling over me as well. He peered at my face. “Am I to assume now, that you’ll be leaving with Miss Statton?”

I nodded. “I remember everything now. Well, almost everything.”

“No!” two voices sounded in unison from the doorway. Chris scooted to the side as Ciel and Anais rushed into the room. Ciel skidded to a halt, on both knees in front of me. Anais stood right behind him. “You can’t leave us!” Ciel cried.

“You were going to stay here and work with us.” Anais said, distraught for the first time.

“That nasty lady is after you, who’s going to protect you?” Ciel asked.

“You’re supposed to be our little brother!”

“We’ll miss you if you go!”

“You two, calm down.” I said patiently. “I’ll come see you guys again, I promise, but I can’t stay like this. This form isn’t comfortable to me. I need to be an adult.”

They each pulled out cellphones. “Give us your number?” Ciel demanded.

“555-6484.” Evangeline answered promptly. “That’s my number. I’ll give you Gabriel’s when we get him a new phone.”

Ciel entered the number into his phone quickly, then looked back at me. “Your name is Gabriel?” I nodded.

“It’s a gorgeous name.” Anais complimented, shifting back to her normal demeanor.

Ciel grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me into a tight hug. Anais wrapped her arms around the both of us. “You’ve only been awake a few days, but I’ve been taking care of you for weeks.” Ciel explained, his voice rough. “It’s still such a new feeling, I don’t want to let go of it.”

When they finally pulled away, Ciel helped me to my feet. “You two should think about growing up one day, and having a child of your own.” I commented. “You would make better parents than I did, at least.”

Ciel looked surprised. He turned to his wife, who’s expression was identical. “We haven’t really thought about it.” he said. “We’re around babies all day, but it didn’t occur to us to try and have our own.”

“It’s a nice idea.” Anais said carefully. “Maybe we will, one day.”

“We do like the way we are, right now. We’re comfortable here.”

I put my hand on Ciel’s shoulder. “Trust me, I’ve seen you around kids.” I looked back at Evangeline, who was speaking to Dr. Smythe. “I think it’s about time for me to go.”

“You better call us when you get home.” Anais said sternly.

“We’ll wanna make sure you’re safe, just in case.” Ciel smiled.

“I will.” I promised.