‹ Prequel: The Paris Escapade
Sequel: Hunter's Strike

Nightmare City

Chapter 16 - The Spring of My Youth

“Are you sure about this?” Chris asked for what felt like the hundredth time that night.

For the hundredth time I nodded my head, not looking up from the bag I was packing. “Katrina has a building in the city under her name. If I can’t find her there, then I’ll come straight home.”

Chris looked over to where Gabriel was sleeping on the couch. “What do I tell him when he wakes up?”

“Easy, I went out to get him more blood. I’ll stop by Butcher’s place on the way home.” I zipped the bag closed and shouldered it. “Quit making those puppy dog eyes. If it’s true that Great Aunt Katrina is still alive, then I HAVE to talk to her. There’s too many questions that only she has the answers to.”

“If she wanted to talk to you, don’t you think she would have come back to her house?” Chris asked pleadingly. “Gabrielle says she’s a vampire now, what if she’s different? Hell, you’ve never met her before, what if she’s the same?”

“After everything I’ve been through, everything you’ve gone through with me so far, don’t you think I can take care of myself?”

Chris looked down at his hands and sighed. “Before I left for Germany...”

“Don’t bring that up right now. Now is definitely not the time.”

He held up one hand. “Hold on. What I’m trying to say is, back then, looking at you, I would say there is no way you could do this. You were... broken in a way, by what happened with Eric. You buried yourself deep and didn’t want to climb out.”

He took a deep breath. “Ever since I’ve come back, I’m noticing more and more just how different you’ve become since then. You’ve grown, Evie, inside and out. I look at you now, and I believe you can do anything.”

“Careful Chris, your big brother is showing.” I teased.

“I mean it, Evie. And as capable as you’ve become, you’re still going up against something supernatural. I can’t follow you everywhere, so I want you to be careful, all the time.”

He would regret sounding so mushy later on, I knew it. I’d better leave now while his dignity was mostly intact. “I’ll call you if anything happens, I promise. I’ll turn the GPS on my phone so you can even track me if you need to. Just watch Gabriel for me and make sure he doesn’t get out. I don’t like the idea of him being outside while he’s so... unstable.”

“No letting the tiny vampire snack on people juice, got it.”

“You be careful, too. Don’t turn your back on him, or he’ll surprise you.”

**********

There were so many doors available to me, which one should I open next? So many memories, each one just a step away...

When was it that I became bored with hunting humans? Several lifetimes ago, it felt like, ever since I had killed that old vampire and taken his abilities. Who had that been again?

I did not remember his name, or his face, but I remembered the power he had possessed. The ability to locate the thing I wanted most.

Such a strange power, like an internal compass, the needle tugging at your insides, pointing the direction you needed to go.

How many lifetimes ago did I bury this power, under the weight of so many more that I had collected, so many more dangerous ones?

Humans had no such abilities in their blood, why should I bother killing them, if I wasn’t hungry?

Ah... but which powers should I dig for, out of the monstrous pile? I couldn’t remember them all at one time, which ones would I need?

Katrina’s cruel expression flashed before me. Yes, I would have to dig deeply, to survive the coming storm.

So many doors... which to open first?

********

I awoke feeling quite strange. The couch was smaller than it was when I fell asleep. Or was I bigger?

My clothes were fitting much better than before as well, though not perfectly. I had grown a fair amount in a short period of time.

I stretched my arms out in front of me, watching as my rolled up sleeves pushed up nearly to my elbows. A giddy excitement filled me and I didn’t even bother suppressing my delight, smiling wide.

“You awake, Gabrielle?” Chris called from the kitchen. I could hear water running and the clink of plates and cutlery.

I ignored him, instead heading upstairs to my room. Was I tougher, as well as bigger? I wondered. There was one way to find out.

Once my door was shut behind me, I quickly tore off my clothes and hurried to the bathroom. I half stepped inside the shower and turned the water on, holding one hand out, just in case.

The cold water hit my outstretched hand and steamed, but there was no burning, just a pleasant warmth. I stepped further in, the water travelling up my arm. It felt so good I let out a happy cry and jumped under the spray.

Soon that warmth was spreading over my whole body. I sighed in contentment, my face turned up towards the spray. How much had I missed this feeling? Was there a better comfort in the world other than this warmth?

I pushed my hair back, water running off it down my back. Hm? My hair was longer, a lot longer. I would have to give myself a haircut. Later.

Once I had had enough of the water, I turned it off and stepped out of the shower. I walked back into the bedroom, letting myself drip dry while I inspected my new body in the full mirror in the closet.

I had finally grown out of that child’s body. I stretched my arms out, relieved that they were nearly as long as my old ones. They were thin, as was my legs, a product of growing quickly over a short amount of time. I pinched my upper arm, there was tight muscle just under the skin.

My chest was hairless still, thankfully. After I matured, there would be some growth which I would have to get rid of, but for now my skin was perfectly unmarred.

It would take longer to age up to a more comfortable level, but I was finding myself strangely pleased with my current appearance. With my unblemished skin and zero body fat ratio I looked like one of those young men wailing on the TV sometimes. I think they called it pop music...

As I wondered what Evangeline would think when she saw me, a new kind of excitement began to build inside of me. Something tugged at my insides, spurring me to action. I had to show her now! The look on her face would be priceless.

I was at the door before I noticed I was forgetting something important. I retrieved a comb from the dresser and pulled it through my wet, tangled hair.

I was halfway out the door when I realized that being completely naked was probably not something Evangeline would react well to. Sure, it would be funny, but nowadays she was armed.

My closet was full of clothing that were still too big for me to wear, though. I grabbed my robe and hurried out the door, pulling it on as I walked.

She didn’t answer when I knocked on her door, and something told me she wasn’t inside anyway. I headed downstairs, but still didn’t find her. “Where is Evangeline?” I asked Chris, who was watching TV on the couch. “I want to show her something.”

He looked over at me, taking in my be-robed state. “Whatever it is you want to show her, I doubt she wants to see it.” he commented.

The tugging inside my body increased. I slowly turned around, till the feeling intensified, pulling me towards one direction. “She’s not here.” I said. “Where did she go?”

“You drank your way through a month’s supply of blood in two nights, Evie went by Butcher’s place to pick up some more.”

A powerful odor assaulted me then, like rotting fish. I covered my nose, but it wasn’t an actual smell, but a mental reaction. I could not protect myself against it.

I turned back to Chris. “You’re lying.”

Chris, being military, and trained as a spy, knew not to let down his guard. He pulled out his cellphone and tossed it to me. “Evie went to Butcher’s place, call her and check for yourself.” He gave me another once over. “And cut your hair, you look like a girl.”

The smell grew stronger, till it overpowered every other scent in the house. I tossed the phone back onto his lap. If I called her, she would just confirm Chris’ lie, since she was the one that put him to it. “I’m going after her.” I declared.

“Not going to happen, Evie told me to keep you in the house, and that’s what I intend to do. She doesn’t want you getting hungry and snacking on humans.”

I straightened my posture, looking down at him. “Perhaps when I was smaller, you could prevent me from leaving, but I’m much stronger now.”

This made him angry. He stood up to his full, intimidating, height. “Listen here, Gabrielle-”

I pushed him hard, cutting off his words. He fell back onto the couch, his eyes wide with surprise. “No, you will listen to me.” I said, grabbing him by his hair. “This is my home and you are the outsider here. You do not prevent me from doing what I want. You do not lie to me.”

He was furious now, and threw a punch at me, but I caught his fist in my hand and held onto it firmly. My influence radiated from me forcefully, overriding his military instincts, paralyzing him.

I leaned over him, forcing him to meet my gaze. “Also, my name is Gabriel.” I pulled his head back, exposing his neck. He struggled, but I was more than strong enough to hold him down.

I sank my fangs into his neck, breaking the skin with no effort. His blood flowed easily and I pulled in one mouthful, then released him.

His great, hulking frame sagged against the couch, his eyes turned glassy, his mouth slack. “Don’t worry, you’re not dying.” I assured him. “My venom will keep you immobilized till I come back with Evangeline.” He was at least three times the size of Evangeline, so it was unlikely my poison would stop his heart as it had hers.

The memory came back to me, a fight on a rooftop high up in the sky. I had done something unforgivable then, something other than nearly killing Evangeline.

I brushed the memory aside, not willing to shoulder that burden again. It was over and done with and I had come to terms with that already. Now was the time to catch up with Evangeline and find out what was so important that she would have her brother lie to me.

At this point I could guess what that was.

First, I needed clothes, ones that would fit me. My robe was starting to come undone, slipping off of my shoulder. Since I had no clothes that fit me properly... I would have to wear someone else’s.

Chris was much too large for me to ever trade clothes with, that left only one other closet in the house. Well, it wasn’t as if Evangeline had any women’s clothes anyway, and we were probably the same size now.

The last time I was in her room, I hadn’t looked around much, too intent on the purpose of my visit. Other than that, I hadn’t been inside before. I took the opportunity to look around now, and soak up the life of the person who slept here.

The room was abysmally small, with only a few feet between the bed and the closet. The desk was opposite the door, in front of the window. And that was it. No posters, nothing decorative. It was neat, at least... I guessed.

I slid open the mirrored closet door, revealing a dresser and a few things hung up on a bar. “This is the most boring room in the entire house.” I remarked dully, sliding open the top drawer of the dresser.

The drawer was filled with rolled up pairs of socks and panties in bland colors. Nothing I could use in here, I had socks of my own that would fit me. I was about to close the drawer when a black piece of lace caught my eye.

I debated my actions for all of two seconds before pulling out the black panties. The front and back was comprised of two scraps of black silk, and lace filling out the rest. The whole thing was tied together at the sides, which was a style I was unfamiliar with. A small tag hung from one of the strings.

“Why does she have them, if she never wears them?” I asked aloud, examining the tag. They were more expensive than most of her wardrobe. “Is she saving them for a special occasion?”

In my mind’s eye, I could picture Evangeline looking down at the floor nervously, her cheeks graced with a delicate blush. ‘It’s my first time, so can you be gentle with me?’

I shoved the panties back into the drawer and slammed it closed. I stood absolutely still for a moment, feeling my blood pulsing quick and strong in my veins. After a second I let out a small laugh. “As if that would ever happen.” What was I getting so worked up over? Evangeline was the complete opposite of everything feminine and graceful, much less delicate. Still, it took several minutes before my heart rate went back down to normal.

Elsewhere in the dresser I found a tattered pair of jeans and a T-Shirt that read ‘Team Guy Who Almost Hit Bella With His Van’. The shirt was a little snug, but the jeans fit me perfectly. I shook my head and sighed. That girl had no self awareness.

Half of her clothes were men’s clothes, didn’t she understand that she was a girl? Why did she never wear skirts? Was she hiding a deformity somewhere?

The school in Paris had forced her into one of their uniforms; a pleated skirt and black stockings. There had been nothing wrong with her shape that I could tell. Actually, it was rather pleasing. She was on the thin side, but still had curves in the right places...

I caught my train of thought before it could jump the rails completely. What was wrong with me? Ever since I woke up, these strange thoughts were assaulting me.

Hadn’t I grown bored of finding women merely attractive? Or perhaps that jaded behavior came from being married to Nora for so long? Or were there other forces at work here?

I looked at the backs of my hands, at the brand new skin I had grown back. My body was that of a teenage boy, were my thoughts the same?

I decided that I really didn’t have time to waste brooding about it. I pilfered one of Evangeline’s hooded sweatshirts paused to examine my reflection, my hands in the pockets. It was a far cry from my usual style of button down shirts and black slacks, but at least it all fit. It wasn’t so bad, really, and it seemed to fill me with exuberance. I couldn’t help but smile at my doppelganger in the mirror, a somewhat mad grin.

I found a pair of sneakers under her bed that had to be much too large for her. They were very worn, but intact. I tried them on, finding them to be just about my size. They would suit me for now, but it boggled my mind why should would even own them.

I checked on Chris again before heading out. His eyes were closed. “Are you still alive?” I asked casually, leaning over the back of the couch. After making sure his breathing and pulse were steady I reached into his pocket and took the house keys. While I was at it, I took his cellphone. He wouldn’t be using it for a few more hours at least.

The air outside was fresh and clean, and absolutely amazing. The moon was high in the sky and the stars seemed just a bit brighter than I was used to. Having a new nose, new eyes, made all the difference. I was fresh as well, reborn with a brand new body that I was just aching to use.

I took a moment, turning my attention inwards, to that compass that was pulling me towards Evangeline. I concentrated, honing in on her direction like a dousing rod. Once I had it, I made my move.

She had taken her brother’s jeep of course, so I had no means of transport. Other than my own two feet of course. It was a crazy idea, but right now I felt like I had enough energy to accomplish any task.

I set off, running towards the bridge the would take me to Manhattan. I jogged at first, slowly picking up my pace till I was just under the legal speed limit. I had to be burning up an insane amount of blood, but right now I was full of it. I could keep up this pace for days if I had to, until I reached Evangeline.

********

The building was residential, which struck me by surprise. It was a five story brownstone in the heart of the city, and appeared to be in very good shape. Judging by the window decorations, it was lived in as well.

“Well, what was I expecting?” I asked myself, double checking the address on my phone. “An abandoned warehouse by the docks?”

There was no way to get inside through the front, without attracting too much of the wrong kind of attention to myself. The building was right next to an Italian restaurant on the corner, I walked past and around, finding a small alley in the back.

It was deserted, so I headed in. There was a brick wall at the end of the alley, and the fire escape ladder in the back of Katrina’s building was directly overhead. It was a bit lower than it should have been, if I reached up on my tiptoes I could just reach it...

I pulled the ladder down and climbed up. I tried to pull the ladder up after me, but it stuck about halfway. I left it and climbed the stairs up.

On each landing I paused for a moment and inspected the windows. I didn’t linger too long, as most of the apartments were occupied. The top apartment was dark, though, and the window was open.

I fell to a crouch and crept over to the window. The light’s were out, but I could hear someone moving around inside. I held back from going in, trying to decide what to do. It was perfectly reasonable that this apartment was inhabited just like the others, but I couldn’t think of a reason why the owner would be fumbling around inside with all the lights off.

Had I stumbled upon a burglary? What were the odds of that? A million, no, two million to one? Should I call the Police? How would I explain what I was doing up here in the first place?

While I sat on the fire escape, hemming and hawing over my indecision, the person inside of the apartment took that time to exit back through the window. I recognized the man instantly, with his long, dirty coat and shaggy white hair.

Standing on the fire escape outside of my Great Aunt Katrina’s building was the man that had nearly killed Gabriel, and judging by the expression on his face when he saw me, he was just as surprised as I was.