‹ Prequel: The Paris Escapade
Sequel: Hunter's Strike

Nightmare City

Chapter 23 - The Other Castle

Central Park was packed with bodies, moving, writhing, some even dancing. The concert was free of charge and had drawn crowds that would shame most stadiums. Somewhere in this sea of people was Evangeline.

The stage was massive, lit up by different colored spotlights and even lasers. A giant screen was assembled at the back, showing scenes from the crowd, alternating with the musicians, so that even the music lovers in the far back would be able to count each one of Desyre’s false eyelashes.

The current song ended and the screaming applause was deafening. The noise must be carrying all the way to the Bronx.

I tried centering my internal compass, focusing on Evangeline, but it just kept spinning out of control. Not only was this place packed with humans, but other vampires as well. All of the different influences were overlapping and canceling each other out.

Fine, I would do this the hard way if I had to.

Before coming here I had stopped by Butcher’s place and asked him if he had anything better than Pig’s blood, letting him know I was planning on having a fight on my hands. He couldn’t give me human blood, which was becoming increasingly scarce through legal channels, or Leopard, which was highly illegal in all fifty states. He said if I was in a fighting mood, then Bear was the best he had. I bought a gallon.

The blood made me feel strange, hot all over and itching to move. It pulsed through my veins quickly, making my heart pound. I was more than ready for anything Desyre could throw my way.

Desyre held up both hands, quieting down her screaming fans. “Before the next song, I have just one small thing to say. You’ve all been so great to me. You’ve given me so much love.” She grinned her dazzling smile as cheers erupted again. “Right now, I want to share some of that love with a good friend of mine. She just got back from a long hospital stay and I want her to really feel alive again. So I’m going to drag her out here to sing a song with me.”

The screaming climbed back up to deafening levels again. I kept my eyes fixed on the stage. Desyre walked offstage for a moment, then came back, Evangeline in tow. A stagehand was still busy putting a mic and earpiece on her.

Evangeline stood in the middle of the stage, her cheeks very red. She was dressed in white vinyl. Her legs hugged tightly by it, long boots going all the way up her calves. She wore a corset that was the negative of the one she wore in her subconscious. Long fingerless gloves climbed up her arm, laced up with thin black ribbon. Her hair was swept up, exposing her neck (adorned with a black collar) and her bare shoulders. One thick lock of hair covered the bruise on her forehead and fell over one eye.

She leaned on Desyre’s arm for support, since she was without her cane. Watching her duck her head shyly, I felt my blood heat up for an entirely new reason. Okay, I would admit that this fighting tactic was one I wasn’t prepared for.

The cheering quieted down incrementally and Desyre spoke again. “The reason we’re such good friends, Angie, is because we have something in common.” Evangeline raised her head, looking into Desyre’s face. “And by that I, of course, mean we have ‘someone’ in common.” She turned back to the crowd. “There is an unreachable star in all of our lives.” she declared. “One so bright you can’t get close without burning up. And sometimes that star is also dark, and the fire they emit is pure poison.” Evangeline was completely enthralled by her words. Desyre’s influence was exceptionally powerful.

The music started, a slow, dark swelling. Desyre began to sing:
“Your cruel device
Your blood, like ice
One look could kill
My pain, your thrill”

Her voice was rich and sultry, dark and tempting. For a moment I was caught in her influence, content to just listen. Evangeline joined her for the chorus and the spell was broken. I began to run, intent on my mission.

“I wanna love you but I better not touch
I wanna hold you but my senses tell me to stop
I wanna kiss you but I want it too much
I wanna taste you but your lips are venomous poison
You're poison running through my veins
You're poison, I don't want to break these chains”

Taking the direct route to the stage would take all night with this crowd. I made my way around, heading towards the group of trailers and tents that made up the backstage area. My pace was swift, and I met my first obstacle right away.

Human security, white shirts and dangling badges. I wasn’t even going to bother, instead using influence to pass them right by.

“Your mouth, so hot
Your web, I'm caught
Your skin, so wet
Black lace on sweat”

The area behind the stage was a maze, tents, trailers, and portable toilets haphazardly placed, creating long winding paths with many branches. Flat screen televisions were set up, seemingly randomly, depicting the stage. Evangeline sang the next part by herself, her eyes closed as she concentrated, and I paused to watch.

“I hear you calling and it's needles and pins
I wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name
Don't wanna touch you but you're under my skin
I wanna kiss you but your lips are venomous poison”

It was a moment of distraction, and yes, weakness, and I lowered my guard. In that instant my next obstacle presented itself.

Desyre’s personal security, black suits and sunglasses at night, and definitely not human. They headed right for me. She was the one who invited me to this party, so of course she wasn’t going to make things easy.

“You're poison running through my veins
You're poison, I don't wanna break these chains”

Wisely, they attacked in a group, surrounding me and coming all at once. I decided to take the high ground and jumped straight up, landing lightly on top of a trailer. I wasn’t going to waste my time on riffraff right now, they could wait till after I had secured Evangeline.

They didn’t agree with that way of thinking though, and followed, blocking the way in front and behind.

“Running deep inside my veins
Poison burning deep inside my veins
One look could kill
My pain, your thrill”

I rolled my shoulders back, loosening the muscles in my arms. “Fine then, let’s dance.”

I attacked first, with a low kick that swept the first guard’s feet right out from under him. I followed it with another kick that sent him flying, bouncing off a trailer about twenty feet away.

The next one rushed me and I grabbed his arm, flipping him up over my shoulder and crashing into the tent next door. The entire thing collapsed in on itself.

Two more attacked at the same time and I dodged both at once, hopping to the next trailer. I jumped down to the ground, rolled and retrieved one of the broken tent poles. It was exactly my height, heavy and sturdy.

“I wanna love you but I better not touch
I wanna hold you but my senses tell me to stop
I wanna kiss you but I want it too much
I wanna taste you but your lips are venomous poison
You're poison running through my veins
You're poison, I don't want to break these chains”

I used the tent pole on the next three, sweeping and thrusting them away. Without using silver or my claws I wasn’t causing any lasting damage, just keeping them at bay while I drew closer to the back of the stage.

The next one to come at me was much larger than the rest, throwing him wasn’t feasible. I cast the tent pole aside and met him toe to toe. His blows were powerful, but right now, so were mine. I caught him under the chin hard enough to stun. I took my chance and ran. The song was almost over.

“I wanna love you but I better not touch
I wanna hold you but my senses tell me to stop
I wanna kiss you but I want it too much
I wanna taste you but your lips are venomous poison
You're poison running through my veins
You're poison, I don't want to break these chains”

Behind the stage was a swarm of activity. The black clad security didn’t follow, lest they got the stagehands involved. It looked like I was home free, if I could just figure out how to reach Evangeline.

Meanwhile, I felt great, the blood Butcher had given me filled me with an energy I hadn’t felt in close to a century. “I am never going back to pig’s blood.” I swore to myself. Knowing Butcher, he was going to charge me and arm and a leg, but I honestly did not care. It was worth it. I’d get a night job if I had to.

The song was over by this time, the cheering rising back to ear-shattering levels. I was much closer, so I paused and retried my compass. It whirled crazily, before settling, pointing ahead of me. It tugged urgently, my heartbeat quickening.

I ran on ahead, weaving deftly through the throng of ordinary people that moved much too slowly. Then I spotted her, and stopped in my tracks.

She sat perched on a large equipment container, her cane leaning against the side. She must have had help getting up there because her boots dangled two feet off the ground. She was alone, unguarded.

I approached slowly, wary of a trap. She turned her head and saw me, her eyes widening. “Gabriel! What are you doing here?” Her cheeks flushed and she began to stammer. “H-how did you even g-get back here?” She darted her eyes to the stage and back. “Were you listening?”

“I came to retrieve you.” I said simply as I walked towards her.

“What? Why?” she asked incredulously as I stopped in front of her, placing one hand on the container next to her vinyl-clad hip.

“Because I’m not quite ready for us to part ways just yet.” I answered.

Up close, her attire was having a profound effect on my nervous system. Desyre had also had her makeup done, though it was much more subtle than her own extravagant look. Evangeline’s eyes were smokier, her lips, glossed, looked invitingly pouty. Her eyebrows were neat arches.

Dangling from her collar was a small metal ring. I couldn’t resist hooking one finger through it as I leaned my head down to hers. Her lips parted as she took in a slow breath, her eyelids drooping a little. “...Gabriel?” she whispered.

“Yes?” I answered softly.

“You do realize that you’re, like, a million years older than me, don’t you?”

A silver knife probably wouldn’t have cut me deeper, or jerked me back to reality faster. I released her, placing my other hand on the container for support, as for some reason I couldn’t feel my legs. I bowed, leaning my forehead on her bare shoulder. This was pure Evangeline, she didn’t have a seductive bone in her body. She was the brick wall I was constantly banging my head against.

“Seriously, what are you doing here?” she asked, sounding genuinely confused. “I thought you hated Desyre.”

Without lifting my head, I put my hand in my pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. I handed it to her wordlessly, fearing that the only sound that would be able to pass my lips would be a defeated whimper.

She pulled her shoulder away, so she could peer into my face. “You came here, because you were worried about me?”

I shrugged. “I don’t even know any more.”

She raised one eyebrow. “What’s gotten into you?”

“About a gallon of Bear.” I answered promptly. “It’s having a... strange effect on me.”

“Really? How so?”

I needed something for my eyes to focus on. Looking down was no help, as there was only bare skin and white vinyl. I couldn’t look into her eyes at the moment, either. I straightened up, shrugging out of my jacket while keeping my gaze over her head. “All I’ll say, is that it feels more like rabbit.”

“Ah.” she said, turning the paper over in her hands. I swept my jacket over her shoulders, pulling the front closed before I focused my attention back on her. She looked up at me, her soft brown eyes framed by extra long lashes.

“I want to talk with you seriously,” I told her. “I said back in the hospital that I understood everything, but I didn’t tell you all of it.”

“Well, go ahead. It’s not like I’m going to run off.”

I looked over at her cane, and picked it up, just in case. “I want us to continue living together. I need to take responsibility for all of the things that’s happened to you because of me. You convalescing right now, let me help you while you do.”

She gave me a skeptical look. “Where? We can’t both move in with my Mom.”

“We both have access to sizable bank accounts, we can find our own place. Without your ‘brother’.” My expression was stern, there was no way I was going to budge on that condition.

She twisted her mouth in thought. “Chris said something weird back at the hospital. He said that you and him have something in common.”

“We’ve both decided to look after your well-being.” How did a simple gloss make her lips look so full? “Maybe there’s one other thing, but you’ll have to get that from him.”

She sighed heavily. “You’re making things really hard for me.”

“I have a feeling that’s only going to get worse. My apologies in advance.”

Her eyebrows knit together, then she shook her head quickly. “Desyre said I could use her place because she’s heading out of town for a bit. She and Callie were going to take me clothes shopping since I no longer have a wardrobe.” She narrowed her eyes. “They did something with the clothes I was wearing, Callie won’t give them back.”

“Back to the subject at hand.” I needed to concentrate, the conversation was getting too easily derailed. “I probably won’t be able to compete with whatever living space Desyre is offering, but I want you to stay with me.”

She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth for a moment. “I might, but you have to tell me the truth. Why do you want me so badly?”

“The whole truth?”

“All of it.”

I grimaced, but now was not the time for pride. I sank to both knees and looked up at her. “Because, I need you. You’re the only one left who gives a damn about me. Without you, I’d be completely alone.”

She looked down at me, her expression full of pity. “Making me feel sorry for you isn’t going to work. I know that vampires are solitary by nature, you’ll get by just fine alone.”

“Let me finish.” I pressed on. “You’re a truly good person, you’re full of kindness, and compassion. You make me good, just by being around.” I gestured behind me. “I just went through about a dozen of Desyre’s security vampires and I didn’t kill a single one.” I reached up and brushed away that lock of hair covering her eye. “I’ve lived a long time, and I’ve met a lot of people, good, bad, and in between. You’re one of the very few that has actually changed something inside of me. It’s only a little, but you’ve made me better, and I’m not willing to let you go.”

“Oh man, if I could cry, I would be bawling right now.” a husky voice said from the side.

We turned at the same time, towards Desyre. I got back to my feet quickly, stepping forward, putting myself in between Evangeline and the vampiress. “I found your message, and I’m not leaving until I get back what’s mine.” I told her sternly.

“Oh? What about what you owe me?” she asked coyly. “You’ve spent a very long time avoiding your responsibilities. How can you say that you’re a better person if you just plan on running away again?”

Standing there, I could feel just how powerful she was. Not in physical strength, but influence. The air crackled with it, like an electric hum, I could feel it pulling at me, sapping my strength. It was then that I understood the true nature of her power. She absorbed energy the same way I did with plants, instead she used people. Humans, vampires, it didn’t matter. When she sang in front of a crowd, she absorbed a little of their essence, they gave it up willingly to her. The bigger the audience, the more powerful she grew.

“You’re right.” I admitted. “If I’m going to take responsibility for Evangeline, then I have to take care of old responsibilities first.” I was feeling fairly helpless right then, what was I supposed to do? “It’s been centuries since I turned you. I don’t know of anything I could do now that would make that time up to you.”

“I’ll cut you a deal, then.” she answered slyly. “Since Evangeline’s good nature does seem to be contagious, I’ll just ask one thing of you.” She held up a perfectly manicured forefinger.

I spread my arms out in defeat. “Anything except my life.”

She approached me slowly, savoring her victory. Whatever she she tried, I wasn’t going to be able to stop her. Her influence paralyzed me, hanging on me like a dead weight. My arms fell to my sides.

She reached one hand towards my chest, her nails long and golden. Her eyes were the same color, hypnotizing me. She grasped the front of my shirt and pulled me down.

Her mouth caught mine hard as she kissed me roughly. Her tongue invaded my open lips, tasting me thoroughly. That electricity was there, striking me with lightning force.

After an eternity, she released me, pressing one hand on my chest. “Call me?” she asked softly, her eyes heavy-lidded.

“I’ll consider it,” I answered as soon as I found where my voice had run off to.

Her smile was positively cat-like. She looked past me. “Sorry Angie, looks like I’m not willing to give up yet.” She turned and walked slowly away.

I dragged the back of my hand across my mouth, wiping away a good deal of fuchsia lipstick. I looked over at Evangeline, who’s eyes were wide with disbelief. That didn’t stop her from taking an opportunity when I was down, though. “Quick, what are you thinking right now?” she asked.

“That I’ve never felt more violated in my entire life.” I answered immediately.

“Now that’s saying something.” Desyre called over her shoulder. “You used to sail with pirates.”

“Watch it.” I warned her sharply. She laughed as she walked back out onto the stage, the sound like bells.

I felt a small tug on on my sleeve and turned back to Evangeline. “I’m tired.” she said in a small voice. She had just gotten out of the hospital earlier that day, and her stamina was low.

I put one hand under her elbow and helped her down from her perch. She wobbled a bit on her injured leg, but I kept her steady. I returned her cane to her and offered my arm. She chose to lean her weight on me, hooking the cane over her arm. “I should tell Callie I’m leaving with you. I don’t want to break her away from the rest of the concert, though.”

“Here, send her a text.” I retrieved my phone from my jacket pocket and held it out to her. “My apologies for losing your phone in the fire.”

“It’s okay, Desyre recently got a new one, so she gave me her old one.” She reached into the front of her corset and fished out a phone covered in pink gemstones. I stared at her chest, wondering how there had been room for the phone in there. She wasn’t exactly amply endowed, and the corset was tied tight.

“Does it look like I have pockets?” she asked defensively, not looking up from the phone’s screen.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“I could hear you thinking.”

“What else are you hiding?”

“Just this.” She reached into the front of her corset again and pulled out a white business card. “I got this off of that old hunter. Does the symbol look familiar to you?”

I took the card from her, studying it carefully. There was no name, just a phone number and a picture of a simple black sword over the top. A black chain was wrapped around the blade.

“He told me to call that number when I became disillusioned.”

Something nagged the back of my mind, a long lost memory itching to resurface, but that door was locked tightly. “I’ll hold onto this for you, and you let me know if you become ‘disillusioned’.”

We started walking, keeping to a slow pace. “That’s fine with me.” She leaned her head against my arm, yawning. “I hope wherever your taking me has food. The vampires I was hanging out with forgot that I need to eat at more regular intervals than they do.”

“I’m sure we’ll find something. This city never sleeps.” Her pace slowed even more, till she couldn’t continue walking. I picked her up gently, one arm supporting her back, and the other under her knees.

She leaned her head on my shoulder, her eyelids drooping. “Gabriel?”

“Yes?”

“Tell me a story.”

I had an inkling she wasn’t going to be awake long enough to get sustenance. “What about?”

“About the time you were sailing with pirates.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter. It was crazy and fun and I think the characters deserve that. It's also a promise for the future, in which my characters will have more adventures that are crazy and/or fun. If you guys are still interested in continuing with me, then let me know you want another book.