‹ Prequel: The Paris Escapade
Sequel: Hunter's Strike

Nightmare City

Chapter 6 - Mother’s Day

It was a short walk to Mom’s building. She had a small apartment up on the fourth floor. I pulled out my old set of keys and unlocked the door to the building.

Gabriel headed for the elevator. “Don’t bother,” I told him, going for the stairs. “It’s a death trap.”

“This building is amazingly well-aged” he commented as we climbed the stairs. “Is that all original molding?” he asked, pointing along the walls.

“Probably, the owner hasn’t updated anything in decades.”

“This banister is brass.” It was strange, hearing something close to awe in his voice. I had never heard it there before. “The tile work on these stairs is beautiful.”

In the back, Chris called up to him jeeringly. “Do you wanna see the carpets and drapes, too?”

“You’re making a joke, aren’t you?”

“Settle down, you two.” I said. “We’re here.” I pushed open the door to the hallway. Mom’s apartment was right by the stairs. I knocked lightly.

The door opened a crack, my mother peered at us under the chain lock. “Evangeline, what are you doing here?”

I sighed. “It’s Mother’s Day, Mom.”

“Last time I spoke to you, you said you were never stepping one foot into this building again.” The one eye I could see narrowed.

“I brought you a toaster oven.” I held up my bag.

Mom shut the door and undid the chain. She opened it all the way. She beamed when she saw my brother. “Chris, you’re here too!”

Chris brushed past Gabriel and kissed Mom on the cheek. She smiled softly at him. “Are you expecting rain?”

Chris held up the umbrella we had just bought. “Lately, we’e been expecting everything.” She stepped aside and let him in the apartment, and then blocked our way again.

She looked over at Gabriel. “This isn’t one of mine. Who is this?”

“A friend of mine, Gabriel. Is it alright if he comes to dinner?” I looked over to Gabriel, waiting for him to say something. Instead, he just stared at my mother in disbelief.

“Is he broken?” Mom asked.

I elbowed him in the side. He gathered himself quickly. “My apologies, you look just...” he trailed off, then snapped out of it. “You remind me of someone I knew a long time ago.”

“Uh huh...” Mom raised one eyebrow. “Well, you’re welcome to dinner.” She stepped to the side and let Gabriel pass. She barred my way though, giving me a sharp look.

I knew I was going to have to deal with this eventually. My mother and I had a... mercurial relationship as best. “I’m sorry for storming out the last time I was here.” I said meekly.

“And?”

Here I held my ground. “That’s it. That’s all I’ve done wrong. I’m not going to apologize for not agreeing with you.”

My mother and I were a lot alike, on the outside. We were the same height, had the same color hair (though Mom’s was shot with gray now), and had the same body structure. Mom had bright green eyes, as opposed to my soft brown ones. Her facial features were more defined as well, her chin pointier, cheekbones more pronounced.

On the inside, we were complete opposites. Where I was lenient, Mom was harsh. Where I went with the flow, Mom resisted every change. She had been through a lot, and always reminded me of that.

Her expression was forbidding, but after a moment it cleared. She held out her arms and I hugged her gratefully. “You’re always welcome back.” she said. “You’ll always be my baby.”

“I know.” I said, breathing in her smell. It was warm and a little like peppermint. It was Mom. “That’s why we fight so much.”

Mom pulled away from me, chuckling. “Just look at you.” She held my arms away from my sides as she inspected me. “Have you lost weight?”

“I’ve been working out a bit.” I told her. “Even though I look thinner, the number on the scale is actually higher.”

“I’m glad you’re taking good care of yourself.” I stepped into the apartment and she shut the door, locking it firmly. Then she hooked her arm through mine as we walked down the narrow hallway to the kitchen. “I’m especially glad you’ve finally gotten over that Eric fellow.”

“What do you mean? I haven’t...” I wasn’t sure how to finish that sentence.

Mom pointed discretely to Gabriel, who was turned away from us. He and Chris were looking at the photographs Mom displayed in the china cabinet. There were so many now, they covered up the good plates. Chris was speaking low to Gabriel while pointing at one of the pictures.

“Hey! Are you two talking about me?” I asked indignantly.

“No.” said Chris.
“Yes.” said Gabriel at the same time.

“You better not be telling him any stories, Chris!” I warned.

“I’m not telling him anything too embarrassing.” Chris reassured me.

“Did you really wear braces all through High School?” Gabriel turned his head and asked me.

“Dammit, Chris!”

Mom leaned her head close to mine. “He’s adorable, Angie.”

My stomach tightened. I set the bag on the table nervously. This was the last reaction I expected, but I should have. “You’re talking about Gabriel? Adorable is the last thing I would call him, Mom. You’ve got the wrong idea.”

Mom peered at the bags on the table, mine and Chris’s, and then started to open them. She pulled out one of the silver gauntlets and gave it a skeptical look. “Chris, sweetie, what’s wrong with you?”

“I was born too awesome.” Chris answered.

She put the gauntlet back and went to my bag. She pulled out the plush doll and held it up. She looked at me out of the corner of her eye, raising that eyebrow.

I glanced at Gabriel. He didn’t appear to be listening in, but I couldn’t count out a vampire’s sensitive hearing. I grabbed the doll out of her hand and pulled her into the living room. “Seriously, Gabriel’s my housemate, and that’s it. I don’t even like him.”

Mom gave me a sympathetic look. “Then why did you bring him here?”

I knew I couldn’t really tell her the truth, even if I thought she would understand. “It’s really complicated. Let’s just say that some creeps have been following him and I want to make sure he’s safe.”

Mom arched a brow. “Safe?”

“Come on, mom. I may not like him, but I don’t want him dead.” I was going to have to explain this in some way she could understand. Something that would definitely put her off this scent. “Look, Gabriel is way too old for me.” I crossed my palms, making an X.

Mom’s expression turn incredulous. “Are you really getting hung up over a few years?”

“Trust me, he’s a lot older than he looks. He’s been married once already, that I know of. He’s had kids, Mom, plural. Compared to him, I’ve not even left the starting gate.”

Now her face turned shrewd. “I guess you’re right. Though a guy with more experience could be good for you.”

I laughed nervously. “I’ll think I’ll be safer if I find someone with a little less experience.”

“As long as you’re not so hung up on the past, that you don’t see the things in front of you.” Mom said gently. That had always been her thing, when life handed you lemons, you just moved on to something else. You went and brought oranges to lemonade’s party.

“Mom, I would know if there were anything in front of me. I’m looking at a desert.” Relief loosened my stomach, which had been tying itself into knots. Hopefully she wouldn’t bring up my love life again... tonight.

“Well, dinner is in an hour. I made salmon, so he’d better not have a fish allergy. I’m not making something else.”

I didn’t know how to respond to that, so I just smiled weakly as we went back into the kitchen. Gabriel and Chris were still looking over the photos, Chris talking animatedly while Gabriel listened silently.

Seeing Gabriel standing in the middle of Mom’s kitchen, surrounded by the relics of my childhood, it fully hit me just then how different he was.

His expression was politely interested, but he did not fit into these surroundings, this warm and happy kitchen, full of family memories. He was an outsider, sure, but also alien in how different he was.

Gabriel’s own family had been shattered, by time, by greed, and by ruthlessness. He had struck me as the only one who really cared about the dynamics of his family, but that interest paled next to my mother’s museum.

Life for him was by no means normal. Going out to to ask your son where your old enemy was buried, then being interrupted by hunters and having your car go up in flames was what was normal to Gabriel.

It was becoming normal for me was well. I was starting to feel separate, removed from this peaceful setting. Since the last time I was here, everything had changed so much. I hadn’t been concerned then with protecting someone else, only concerned with myself, trying to work through my own issues.

A pressure built up inside of me as I watched him, I could hear my pulse in my ears. “Gabriel?”

He turned his head, his expression questioning. “Yes?”

“Are you allergic to fish?” My throat tightened, as if it was trying to strangle the question. “Mom wanted to know.”

He shook his head. “I’m sure whatever your mother makes will be wonderful.” He smiled at Mom charmingly, though I could see that it didn’t reach his eyes.

“I like you.” Mom said cheerfully. “You can call me Vivian.” She pulled her apron down from the hook by the fridge and pulled it over her head. She grabbed an oven mitt and headed for the stove.

The table was set and dinner was served before I knew it. “We’re going to need an extra chair.” Mom mused. Chris brought in the living room armchair and set it at the head of the table like a throne. We all sat down and started plating food.

Chris dug into his fish right away, while I chose to eat at a human pace. Gabriel pushed his food around on his plate, but of course did not eat anything. “What would happen if you actually ate solid food?” I asked him, low so Mom did not hear. Not that she could hear me even if I shouted, as Chris was regaling her with stories from his latest mission in Germany.

“Violent and immediate vomiting.” he said just as low. Mom glanced over at us and Gabriel smiled at her.

“Goodness Gabriel, you’re nearly finished. Do you want any more?”

I blinked in disbelief, Gabriel’s plate was still full. His smile broadened. “I couldn’t eat a bite right now.” he said. Mom returned his smile, then went back to listening to Chris.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Stop voodooing my Mom with your trickery.” I hissed.

“Here, you look like you could use a little more.” He tilted his plate towards me and pushed his piece of salmon onto mine.

I glared at him, wanting to make an outburst, but refrained, knowing that it would ruin Mom’s day. I did the only thing I could do. I stuck my tongue out at him, then turned away from him, moving my plate as well.

Ignoring Gabriel was pretty easy, as Chris then told a hilarious story that involved three members of his platoon, a stray MPG, and a portable toilet.

I managed to finish my piece of fish and about two bites from Gabriel’s, but no more, or I wouldn’t be able to have desert, which was always a Tiramisu from the Italian bakery on the corner.

“Who wants to go get the cake?” Mom asked.

I immediately raised my hand. “Me!” If I went, then I would be able to get a couple of rainbow cookies as well.

Mom laughed. “Fine then, lemme go get a twenty.” She started to stand.

“No, I got it.” I felt in my pockets for my wallet, but couldn’t find it. “Shoot, left it in the car.” Chris’ car was parked a good five blocks away, at the only spot we could find in early afternoon on a weekday.

“I’ll go with you.” Gabriel offered. “I didn’t buy your lovely mother a gift, after all.”

My mouth twisted into a sour expression. “Give me your wallet and I’ll go by myself.”

“Let him go with you Evangeline, don’t go by yourself. The neighborhood has gotten so rough lately.” Mom rubbed her upper arms and shivered.

“It’s only the corner, Mom.” I exclaimed, turning to her. The look on her face sapped my energy. “Ugh, fine.” I sighed. I pointed towards the hallway. “Go get your coat.”

“She acts like I can’t take care of myself.” I complained as we made our way down the stairs. Gabriel quickly donned his fedora and tied his scarf around his neck while he followed me. “I’ve fought vampires, for crying out loud!”

“She’s only worried about you, there’s nothing wrong with that.” He slipped on his black gloves.

I reached the bottom landing and whirled around. “Don’t you take her side! You’re the worst, you know that? Giving her smiles and acting all obnoxious and charming.”

He blinked rapidly at me, looking genuinely surprised. “I was only being courteous, she’s your mother.”

“What does that matter?” I threw my hands in the air. “You’re the most antisocial person I know! Can’t you just act like your annoying self? Stop getting all cozy with my Mother!”

“Evangeline, this IS the way I am with everyone.” He said seriously, his eyes glinting under the light of the one bulb in the hallway. “YOU’RE the only one who ever sees differently.”

“Well, that’s just great! So I’m the only one you act awful to?”

“You’re the only one I can be myself around!” he answered angrily.

I snapped my mouth shut, stymied. My stomach was in utter turmoil, roiling and tightening at the same time. “Whatever.” I said tightly, turning away from him and towards the door.

“Evangeline!” Gabriel called to me, but I wasn’t listening to him right now. I pushed open the door aggressively and stepped outside, immediately barreling into a man on the other side of the door.

“Sorry!” I said automatically, holding my arms out in case he fell over. He was an older man, with white hair that was grown unnecessarily long. He wore a long coat that was extremely dirty. I recognized him a moment later... as the man who had tried to kill us at David’s building!

In the next second he recognized me. His brown eyes widened and he stepped back quickly, reaching into his coat.

Gabriel rushed out the door after me and it was all over. The man drew a silver 9mm, he didn’t hesitate, firing immediately.

One bullet caught Gabriel in the shoulder, who hissed in pain, clutching the wound. Another bullet hit the door very close to me, shattering the glass. The third hit the brick wall next to the door. A sharp pain in the side of my head followed right after. Then the world tumbled into a black pit.

********

I had very little time to react as searing pain ripped through my shoulder. I saw Evangeline fall and caught her instinctively, sending fire up my arm.

The maniac in the coat paused to reload and I brought Evangeline into the building and sat her down on the floor, her back against the wall. Blood trickled down the side of her face from a wound on her temple, dripping onto her t-shirt. I pressed my fingers to her neck, checking her pulse.

She was still alive. Relief washed through me. I pushed her hair away from the wound, and saw the silver bullet sticking out. It hadn’t broken through her skull. Still, pulling it out would be painful to me as well as dangerous to her.

The sight of her blood made my wound burn all the more fiercely. My lips parted and I bent my head towards hers.

I stopped short, struggling to control the intense hunger inside of me. If I drank from her like this, my venom would enter her brain easily. She might never wake up again.

My legs were as unyielding as rusted iron doors, but I got to my feet. I heard another shot, the bullet tearing through the window again, missing me by a hair.

I focused on the hunter, the blood in my veins sang for retribution. Here was someone I could kill, and Evangeline didn’t have to know. She wouldn’t see me kill this bastard because he had shot her. Even if she did find out, she would let me go for defending myself, as well as her.

Blood pounded in my head, power surged through me. I held up one hand as the hunter fired again. The silver bullet stopped, hanging in the air in front of me. I moved my hand to the side, the bullet went past me and the gun flew out of the hunter’s grasp. I stepped outside, my eyes locked on his form. “You tried to take something away from me. You won’t live long enough to regret that.”

“That’s what happens when you stalk a hunter, demon.” the man growled. “Try to take what I have left and you’ll regret it sorely.”

He was talking nonsense, and I wasn’t listening anymore. I sprang at him, claws ready to slice through his weak skin.

He sidestepped my attack, pulling an aluminum baseball bat from the depths of his coat. As I passed him, he rammed the head of it into my ribcage, knocking me off course.

I was fairly certain that the bat was coated in silver, but thankfully it couldn't burn me through my thick coat. Fighting out in the sunlight was seven shades of dangerous though, so instead of fighting back, I ran into an alley.

He followed close at my heels. Once I was in the shade, I turned to attack again.

For a man of his obvious age, his reflexes were swift. He swung the bat, this time aiming for my head.

I ducked down, grabbed the front of his coat, and flung him at a dumpster. His back hit first and he slid down to the ground. “I’m tired of this.” He reached into his coat once again, pulling out a strange looking gun. It was large, with a wide, rectangular barrel. I watched him warily, waiting for him to make the first move. “Let’s dance, blood thief.”

“Ladies first.” I replied. I reached down into the depths of my mind, pulling up my power. I readied myself to deflect another bullet.

What came from the gun was not a bullet however, but a metal cable, tipped with sharp needles. My telekinetic power was random at best. I had been expecting a bullet and could not deflect this cable. The needles pierced the exposed skin just under my jaw.

What followed was a fire that crackled in my veins. My body seized as lightning ripped through me. I screamed, but couldn’t hear it over the roaring static in my ears. I blacked out then, grateful in it’s peace.