Status: a new story is born... ready to be read-and reviewed.

Memories

A New Start

“Aya-chan!” a high-pitched voice called.
A petite girl with brown curls ran towards me. Her figure became larger as she strode past the crowd.

“Why won’t you look at me? I was calling for you loudly,” the girl said, with a hint of disappointment.

“I didn’t hear you,” I replied. “I…I was thinking of something else.”

She gave me a hard nudge and winked. “Things that shouldn’t be thought about shouldn’t be thought about.”

“There goes another Misaki quote for you,” I muttered sarcastically, which made us laugh.

In the corner of my eyes, I eyed her secretly. Misaki is a friend from my childhood. Until now, she’s my best bud. After that accident, she was the only one who stood for me who was in a state of depression back then.

I don’t know why but it feels like I was left alone that time. In a world full of people, why should I? I just can’t think of an honest answer.

“Hey, my mum is waiting for these papers. I’ll catch a cab from here, Aya-chan.” Misaki suddenly said as we reached the cab station.

“Can-Can I just –“

“Come with me? Yea, sure. Mum won’t mind anyway.” she finished, as she waved her hand for a taxi.

“No, I didn’t mean that.” I reasoned out.

“Yes, you do. There’s someone I want you to meet. You’ll regret it if you won’t be able to meet him.” she blabbered on as we got inside an air-conditioned cab.

I closed the door and gave her a sneer. “Yea, I hope he’s not like that guy who you wanted me to meet last week. That guy sure deserves a whacking. Y’see, he’s such a perv.”

“No, no. This one’s totally different. He’s got the looks, the brains and the money. You’ll forget about that someone in less than a month. I mean, hey, it’s the twenty-first century Aya! You can’t just think of him every day because he’ll never come‒” she stopped.

I just gave her a lean smile and let my mind wander. “I know that…It’s not like I’m still hoping for that to happen.”

Misaki sighed. “But from the looks of it, I think you mean the exact opposite.” she muttered under her breath.

“Hey, I heard that.”

“Oops. Sorry,”

--
“Greetings, Misaki-sama, Madame Serea is currently in a meeting. What can I do for you?” a formal secretary asked.

“Oh, Yukino, don’t be so formal around me, will you? Just give her these papers when she drops by.”

“Y-Yes, Misaki-san. I would be glad to,”

“Oh, is onii-chan around?”

“I’m afraid the young master is not around for I didn’t see him anywhere. Could you wait here for a moment? I’ll call Tsubaki for help.”

“No, no thanks. We’re just asking anyway. Adieu!”

She pulled me along as I saluted the secretary goodbye.

“Hey,” I began.

“Hm?”

“That was real quick.”

“Yea, but I’m just bluffing anyway.”

“Huh?”

“O my gosh, do you think I came here for nothing? Meeting mum is my last resort! I just wanted to say hi to Yukino. She’s such a good woman.”

“Yea, I forgot that that is actually Misaki’s prowess.” I replied weakly. If I wasn’t able to say this, I’m sorry. FYI, Misaki is the daughter of the president of a huge company. It’s a great thing that I am friends with her not because of her financial status but because of her sunny attitude. She can be a pest sometimes but still, she’s always there for me.

We entered a large chamber that has a large table and an olive green carpet.

“Eh? Whose office is this? Someone might see us, you know!” I whispered.

“Nonsense.”

I tried pulling her towards the exit but she managed to release herself from my grasp. “Knock it off, Aya-chan. No one will get hurt ‘kay? Yuu?”

There was no reply.

“O drat. I think he is not here. Gomen ne, Aya-chan. Shouldn’t have told you to come…” she whispered, and made a pitiful face that looked like she is going to cry.

I decided to land my hand on her shoulder. “It’s not like I am disaapointed, girl. I know that you gave the maximum effort here. Anyways, we’ll meet each other sometime, ne?”

“B-But‒”

“Nonesense, let’s go.”

I tugged her arm, and she tugged in an opposite direction of my force. “No, we’ll stay here until he comes! Nii-chan will never break his promise!”

“What promise?”

That pulled us short.

I blinked twice. The figure is very familiar and the face looked like someone I knew. The same tousled dark hair was there. The same piercing dark eyes.

“R-Ryo‒” I muttered.

“Onii-chan! I knew that you would really come! See, Aya-chan? He really did, right? Ah, my apologies, for I’m very rude. Aya-chan, meet Yuu-niisan. Nii-chan, meet Aya-chan, my best friend.”

He held out his hand as it reached mine. I faced him, but his face was that of the one I loved. I couldn’t help it, I was star-struck. Here he was, standing in front of me, holding out his hand, and his face looks familiar to someone else.

Misaki tapped me behind, making me regain my senses. “Hey,”

I coughed to break the embarrassing silence. I took the outreached hand. “Nice to meet you.” I spluttered.

The latter didn’t give a reaction. He shook my hand and I released it. ‘Misaki, next time you’ll call me, make sure to look first in my schedule. It’s impolite of you to call me at such an hour.”

I clenched my fists, well, I didn’t notice but still.

Misaki nodded meekly and beamed. “Y-yea. Gomen-“

The mysterious figure walked out of the room before Misaki can finish. The door closed with a silent thud.

“That jerk-“ I cursed as I ran towards the door. Misaki held on my waist, jerking me with her.

“Don’t be mad, Aya-chan! Of course he’ll be angry. I told him that I need to see him for some very crucial and important matter last night. Who wouldn’t be worried? He even flew from Singapore just to see me.”

My clenched fists finally relaxed. I eyed her icily. “And why on the earth did you do that?”

The petite figure fidgeted. “T-That’s because you Aya-chan looks like she’s gonna commit suicide. I can’t help it of course. You can’t expect me to do nothing. You’re my best bud after all!”

I was dumbfounded and all I could do that time was to pat her head. “I-Is that so? Gomen, I didn’t notice I was troubling everyone.” I muttered. “Sorry I’m a bother.”

As we exited through the door, I wondered why the doorknob felt warm, as if a person was there, quietly listening.
♠ ♠ ♠
and who is that eavesdropper?