Status: active co-write but with school&life in general updates won't be weekly

Worth Fighting For

Vienna

"Didja hear 'bout Garrett n' Felicia?"

"'Course I ave, oo asn't?"

"I wonder when ta wedding' will beh."

Rolling my eyes I tighten the cinch on the stallion's saddle. Testing it to make sure it's on the proper notch I listen to the stable help, one a boy and one a man, go on and on about how well Garrett and Felicia suit each other.

"Their both such handsome folk ya'know?"

"Aye, I quiet agree. She with her beautiful physique and he with his prominent features… Oh what I woodn't do ta be young again."

Standing in the shadowed corner of the stall I see the boy chuckle and retort, "Even when you was young you didn't look a thing like 'em. 'E and the other royalty soldiers are in a class all their own."

Rolling my eyes as the first speaker ignores the other's comment to talk admirably, with just a hint of envy in his voice, about Felicia's worldly knowledge and extensive travels, I untie the reins from the stall door. My original intent had been to just wait them out until they left, but my growing impatience is getting to me. Hand on the latch door I start to raise it, but pause halfway when I hear the one nearest to me say, "It's just a pity that Garrett's assigned to watch the Prince."

"Gregory watch yer mouth!"

Freezing I'm too stunned to do anything. No one in their right mind would even think of speaking ill of the blue bloods, much less actually say those thoughts aloud. Clenching my fists I wait to hear if the boy tries to backtrack or dig his grave even deeper. But he doesn't seem apologetic at all.

"What? I'm only speakin' the truth. The Prince is as self-centered, narcissistic, and as ignorantly oblivious as they get. Actin' all high and mighty, as if 'e and not his father owns the castle. If it wasn't for 'is bloodline 'e'd be nothin'. And poor Garrett's forced to act as the Prince's guard dog…. I bet it's cause the King knew his boy's flint-like temper would get 'im inta a heap of trouble that 'e 'imself couldn't get out of on 'is own."

"Gregory please 'fore someone hears you!"

Too late.

Unable to hold myself back to allow the fool who slanders me I angrily kick the stall door open. It slams against the stall's walls, making a noticeable bang!, causing both men to start. Coming out the stall, leading the white stallion behind me, I walk directly to the boy in the dark brown suspender trousers and a once white, now grey colored, dirt smeared shirt. His mouth is agape with horror and as I near I'm satisfied to see he now regrets his words.

But that doesn't cut it for me.

Dropping the reins to ground tie the horse I approach this 'Gregory' and say in an innocent manner, "Stable boy is there something you care to say to my face instead of my back?"

The boy shakes his head, then remembers to bow.

"N-no of course not Prince Vienna."

Lips curling into a cold smile I ask him if he's absolutely sure if there's nothing he'd like to say, right here, right now.

"I'm all ears Gregory. If anything displeases you, please just say so."

He flinches at my using his name. Cutting his friend a look I ask if there's something he would like to say.

"Oh come on gentlemen, cat's got your tongue? What a pity."

Straightening I act as if I'm going to leave it be, that I hadn't heard any of their conversation. But whirling around at the last minute I grab the boy by the scruff of his shirt and pull him close so we're face to face. The man breaks in, "Prince Vienna please don' hurt 'im, 'e meant no harm!"

Not bothering to give the man the time of day I lock my eyes on the boy's. Speaking in a precise manner so there's no way he can cannot understand I say, "Listen here stable boy. If there's one thing I hate more than someone who speaks ill about me, it's someone who tries to lie their way out of it. Maybe this'll help you remember to think about your surroundings before you go opening your mouth again."

Bringing my arm back I'm about to punch the boy who's slightly taller than me but before I can someone grabs my wrist. Whipping around to see who dares to interfere and put their hands on me, I see Garrett standing there with that ever present frown on his face.

As if he expected nothing less of me to pick a fight with the stable boy.

Letting go of Gregory I don't give Garrett the opportunity to ask what's going on before I snap at the boy to get out of my sight. He bows partially, "yes your Highness" and does just that, being swiftly followed by the other man. Turning to Garrett I try to shove him away and jerk out of his grasp in the same movement, but he doesn't let go.

Growling under my breath for him to release me I'm not surprised when he rebuffs me by asking what happened instead. As if my demand request hadn't been asked at all.

"Nothing happened. You interfered before anything could happen remember?"

His jaw clenches and I can tell I've pressed a button- seems I've gotten better at it lately. Huffing I grab the reins and start leading my mount toward the stable's entrance. The horse's shoed feet echo on the cobblestones.

"And just where do you think you're going Prince? You're expected to be present in the court soon."

Deftly throwing the reins over the stallions neck I jump in to the saddle, replying resignedly, "So what of it?"

Garrett starts to say something but with growing irritation I cut him off. After all, whatever he has to say probably either has to do with dressing appropriately or arriving on time. Something that I know by heart, being that I am, not matter what anyone may say, my father's son.

"I'm just going for a ride. Go back to your fiancée and provide her with your sodding company. I don't need some stupid guard dog protecting me."

The horse startles when Garrett grabs its bridle. Tch-ing I'm about to say something nasty when he contradicts me.

"On the contrary my Prince, you do. Why else would the King have assigned me to you?"

Flames of anger burning in my eyes I act without thinking by yanking back on the reins causing the beast to rear up. Naturally Garrett lets go to dodge out of the way of the horse's flying hooves and when he does I kick the animal into action. Circling Garrett at a canter who tries catch us I laugh at his attempts.

"Honestly my good sir, you worry too much. A life spent inside the palace's walls is not a life at all!"

GIddy now I turn the animal away and start heading for the main gates. Dodging servants and peasants alike, jumping over obstacles or just barely missing them, I maneuver the creature with a skilled and practiced hand. From behind me I can hear Garrett cursing, yelling for me to come back, but I couldn't care less. The rippling muscle and sinew beneath me make me feel as if I've become the wind itself.

And never have I ever felt so alive as when I'm nothing more than air.

~~~

Dismounting near the Archelian River I cup the water in my hands and drink it. My mount does the same. Rising, running my hands along the horse's body I come around to the front where I rest my head against its neck and rub it's muzzle. Closing my eyes I listen to the forest life around me and find myself mesmerized by the multitude of sounds. The giggling brooke, the leaves shuddering in the breeze, the birds overhead… It's all so peaceful.

And at least when I'm out here I feel like I am my own person. No one telling me what to do or always reminding me to watch my back or reprimanding me for something idiotic. But even once I ascend the throne, I my actions will always be chosen by someone else's hand.

Sighing when I see that the sun is starting to fall, I know that I should head back now. That Garrett will be mad if I'm late to whatever it is my father wants me to attend. Puffing my cheeks out I blow the air out and remount up.

Allowing the beast to rest I only ask of it to walk us back. But I'd miscalculated how far we'd gone and it takes us longer than I'd anticipated. Finally arriving back home I hand the animal over to a servant to take to the stables and bound up the stairs. Rushing through the main corridor I go until I reach the stair case that leads up to the upper portion of the castle.

Like a mouse in an maze I jog down the long, elaborate corridors until I reach my bed chamber. Slipping into the grand room with a mahogany furniture and a color scheme of rich green and gold I find my clothes have already been set out.

Shedding out of my sweaty riding clothes I slip on the black fitted trousers and a white slightly puffed sleeved undershirt. Over that I secure the black shawl collar and button up the gold paisley vest with a black satin back. Combing my hair until it's relatively in control I check my overall appearance in the mirror.

Please with what I see I set out in search of my father but come across Garrett instead who informs me that the meeting is just about to start. He eyes my attire and says bemusedly, "You rely on your luck too much my prince. You were almost late."

Shrugging I tell him that until it runs out, I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

"Yes, yes Garrett. But as I'm not late and my own way has yet to fail me, I shall keep doing what I'm doing. Now where are we off to?"

"Where else but the great hall. The invited have already assembled there and are awaiting you and your father's arrival."

Nodding I just set out back the way I had come up, with Garrett following every faithfully behind.

Just like the loyal dog he is.
♠ ♠ ♠
7 subs and second chapter :3

Vienna's Vest

updates will be every weekend, on either saturday or sunday. It'll depend on our schedule's but unless a life and death matter (such as midterms/ finals/ grade altering test/ etc) comes up we're going to try to be as consistent as Old Faithful with updating :)