Every Storm That Comes Also Comes to an End

Three

"So if this is how you want this song to be, we're gonna have to add more instrumental things to it, like maybe a piano, because it sounds better with a sensual feel to it..." Squire yapped at me as he paced across my living room floor. I had invited him over to discuss the new album, mainly out of pure boredom, but I've barely gotten two words in.

"...and the drum part could be weakened a little. It sounds like an acoustic, but I want a little more rock to be added in as well," Matt finished, looking over at me to see how I felt about his rant.

I blink. "Sorry. I only heard the first and last part of that."

He shrugs. "It's all good. All you need to know is that this song is gonna be great."

I just nod, turning my head to gaze back out the window as Squire goes back on one of his spiels. Outside, the sky was blue, the cloud were puffy and white, and the trees swayed as a breeze drifted by. It was all so perfect. But the complete opposite of my mood.

Avery's face continues to flash in front of my face. I always see those piercing hazel eyes looking at me, that perfect hair falling over her shoulders, that little button nose that crinkles whenever she's thinking about something or when she's upset, and that smile that always blinded me every time she formed it on her face.

I can't get her out of my head.

My thoughts were interrupted as the doorbell rings. I immediately jump up from my place on the couch. But I stop halfway down the hall. Why would it be her? Didn't see say she never wanted to see me again?

This put a rock in the pit of my stomach as I continue to shuffle to the door. I open it up, met with Jack's concerned face. He's stopped me from popping painkillers twice now.

He's afraid I'll get addicted to them.

"What's up?" I ask, pulling a hand through my hair. Squire was still talking in the living room. I hope he's on the phone instead of talking to himself.

Jack bites his bottom lip. "I...okay. I am only telling you this because I am your friend and I think you have a right to know, all right?" I scrunch my eyebrows, but he continues. "I was at the store getting more Red Bull when I ran into Avery's dad. He was getting a bunch of food and I asked him what the occasion was, and he said Avery returned home just a couple of hours ago."

I was frozen. I didn't know how to comprehend. Avery's back? Did...did she come back for the funeral? A smile immediately pulls at the corners of my lips. She's back!

"Are you serious? Because if you're joking around with me Jack - "

"Of course I'm serious," he rolls his eyes.

I grin. "Good." I push past him, racing down my driveway. But I was being pulled back by the time I hit the sidewalk. Jack's grip on my arm was pretty tight. "What?" I ask, annoyance clear in the tone of my voice.

"Do...do you think that going to see her is a good idea?" he asks, hesitant.

"Why wouldn't that be a good idea?" I ask, dumbfounded. "This is my chance to get her back, Jack! This might be my only chance!"

"That's why you shouldn't go see her!" he exclaims. "Because it'll be your only chance! Because she doesn't want to see you! Didn't you say it yourself? She said that you should just lose her number? Why would you think you could get her back?"

"Because I love you her, Jack," I murmur, afraid my voice would crack. "Isn't that enough?"

He falls quiet, his face impassive. Finally, he lets go of my arm. "Fine," he mutters. "But don't come crying back to me when she refuses to open that door."

I barely hear what he had to say before rushing away from him.

It took me only a few minutes to get to her house. I was out of breath and sweating by the time I got there. I only cared about seeing her. My hair was in disarray, so I ran my hand through it a few times to make sure it was decent looking.

I take deep breaths. I'm actually going to see her. After a year. Will she look different? Do I look different? Well, of course I do. My hair's a different color. Has she changed? Is she still the tough, independent girl I fell in love with? No...I took that away from her.

I shake my head. Stop thinking about the past. Think about here and now.

I reach out and touch the doorbell. I hear it sound throughout the house.

I close my eyes, inhaling and exhaling deeply. In a few seconds, that door will open and I will see her again. I kept that thought in my mind as I wait. Then I hear footsteps on the other side of the door.

My eyes pop open just as the door does. Just like I thought, my breath caught in my throat at the sight of her. Her eyes were wide as she returned my stare.

"Avery," I grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long to get out! I had this planned, but I finally got it finished.
Marching band season is over, so updates should be a lot quicker.
Thoughts? What do you think she will say?
-Tiana.