Every Storm That Comes Also Comes to an End

Seven

My head was pounding.

It was like a dull thud at the back of my eyes. I squeeze my lids tighter to make it go away, but the pain was stubborn and stayed. I move around, noticing I was on my couch. How did I end up on my couch? I move around some more, realizing I was still in my clothes from the day before.

I crack my eyes open, but snap them closed once again when I groan at the light. I ease them open bit by bit until I could stand it, breathing out deeply so I could manage the headache.

My eyes felt heavy as I look over at the clock, seeing it was about four in the afternoon.

What happened?

I force myself into a sitting position, running a hand down my face. And the moment I look over at my coffee table, everything snapped back into my memory. Avery having disappeared...my night spent with my Jack Daniels...this morning at Jack's house...

I groan out again, burying my face in my hands. "God fucking dammit," I curse out loud. I completely ruined everything with not only Avery, but Jack as well.

I had to apologize to him. I didn't mean to explode on him like that...

My phone was in the pocket of my jeans, so I pull it out and hurriedly dial his phone number. It rang about five times before he answered. "Hello?" he asks grudgingly, and I knew he wasn't in the mood to talk with me. Well, he better get in the fucking mood.

"Hey, Jack," I mumble quietly, dragging a hand through my unruly hair.

He sighs heavily. "If you're drunk still, I really don't wanna deal with - "

"No, no," I cut him off, wiping my sweaty hands off on my jeans. I lick over my dry lips, feeling incredibly thirsty. Probably because I drank myself into oblivion last night. "Not drunk. Just tremendously hungover." He gave a faint chuckle. "I actually called to apologize. For...for everything I said this morning when I came over."

I could just see Jack shrugging nonchalantly. "I guess it's okay. I mean, you were drunk off your ass and just worried about Avery, so..."

"Yeah," I swallow, clearing my throat. "I also didn't mean the whole thing about you stealing Avery. I know you've never felt that way about her. I had had too many sips of Jack Daniels last night and wasn't thinking clearly."

He chuckles again. "Yeah. Way too much Jack Daniels."

"I think you're a better Jack than he is," I say and Jack laughs out loud. "And, uhm, if you don't mind me asking..." he waits while I ponder. "Is Ave still over there?"

He was mute for a few moments before clearing his throat. "No, she, uh, she left about an hour after you came over and yelled at me. She has a massive hangover as well from getting drunk last night."

"I also wanted to, uhm, to say something else..."

"What is it?" Jack asks.

I bite my bottom lip, sighing out loudly. "I think I'm gonna take your advice. Maybe it is best if I stay away from Ave. I'm only causing her more hurt you know?" I pause. "And she clearly doesn't wanna talk to me. I think it's time I tried to move."

"Well," he breathes, "that's mighty nice of you. Good for you Alex."

I nod, my eyes snapping over to my coffee table, lingering on the small orange bottle there.

"Anyway," I slide out, "I should get going. I need to take some medicine for this fucking headache and change and stuff. I'll...I'll see you at rehearsal later tonight, all right?"

"Sure, sure," he agrees. "Don't take too many of those painkillers. Or I'll kill you."

I try to crack a smile, but it was hard. "I know, I know. I was gonna take some Advil. And only one. No need to get your panties in a twist."

"I'm worried about you. I'll get my panties stuck up my ass for all I care."

That brought a genuine laugh out of me. "Thanks, Jack. See you later."

"Later."

We hang up and I throw my phone down beside me on the couch. I close my eyes, thinking back to this morning when I was in my drunken haze, having practically knocked down the door at Jack's house, seeing Avery sleeping on his couch.

"Are you trying to fucking hide her from me now?" I had snarled, not knowing what I was saying. Jack was gazing at me incredulously, as if I were insane. Which I was.

Why would I ever think Jack would take her from me? I knew he felt guilty enough after that night they had slept together all those years ago. So what the hell came over me to think he would do that? I shake my head, opening my eyes. I really need to get over this. I once again gaze over at my orange bottle. My painkillers.

"Just a few," I murmur, taking hold of it. "Just to get rid of the headache."

I pop the lid off, shaking two of the tiny white pills into my hand. They stared up at me, taunting me. Begging me to take them. I comply, dry-swallowing them.

After they had slid down my throat, I stand and stretch, glancing over at the clock again. Band rehearsal was in two hours. I smile at this thought, knowing this tour could get my mind off of Avery for three months. That put me in a significantly better mood.

I skip over to the stairs, taking them two at a time.

Operation Get-Over-Avery is now in motion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh, Alex is gonna avoid Avery until tour.
Hmmmmmm. Interesting.
Thoughts on the chapter? Tell us what ya think! :)

-Tiana.