Status: Complete

Three Little Sea Serpents

Dark Waters and Foolish Princes

"The prince is drowning again."

"It's all your fault. You shouldn’t have saved him the first time. Now he'll never stop"

The sister with blood red hair did a little flip in the water, shaking her head indignantly. "Well I thought he'd be flavorsome once I got a hold of him. Not my fault his blood tastes spoiled rotten." Her sharp teeth bared in a hiss of disgust

"Your just as fool as the sea foam" Muttered the sister with so much kelp tied into her hair it's true color had been long forgotten.

"None could be as fool as she!" Exclaimed Blood, who already disliked her sister Kelp due to the fact that her tail was longer than Blood's, and always covered in pretty silver fish that cleaned it for her. The insult only added to Blood's dislike, and she wondered what vicious little trick she should play for revenge.

"Now sisters, do not play this petty game. You should not think so ill of our sister Sea Foam. I would not have wished to stab him either, nor to taste his heart, for blood so curdled by greed would make one sick for certain." The wisest sister spoke then, hoping to calm the youngest's wrath. She was the darkest of the sisters, for while her flesh was as milk white as theirs, her hair was long and black as the deepest pits in the ocean, where only the glowing fish swam. Her tail was long as well, the scales all dyed with squid ink to keep their color dark.

"She was still fool enough to go through such lengths to have his heart. No sister smarter than a cuttlefish would make a bargain with the sea witch."

"It was more than his heart she wanted, " Squid coiled her long tail closer, brushing it against her sisters to calm them. "Surley she isn't the first of us to wish she could walk the land. Far easier there to take the hearts of men than it is to wait here, hoping one will fall to the sea some stormy night."

"but we know better than to let our love lead us to our deaths!" Exclaimed Blood, causing Kelp to roll her dark eyes. Of all the sisters, it was Blood who most eagerly lept from the seas to claim mens hearts, and it was she who was known to hang from the sides of many a ship in hopes of luring men into their dark waters.

"The taste of a mans heart may make my skin grow warm and my scales shiver, but even I know only a fool would leave the sea! My love for dark waters is far stronger than my love for a sweet heart, as any sister's should be!"

"No need to be so enthusiastic sister. We know your love is true, though the sight of you hanging from a mans ship may tell otherwise." Kelp smiled cruelly.

"Perhaps if your hunt for hearts was so dilligent, your home would be more than just a pile of bones!" Blood shot back, proud that while sister Kelp was more beautiful that she, sister Blood at least was known to have a larger tower of the bones of drowned men.

"Your bones may be more, dear sister, but the hearts I have swallowed were far sweeter, and the blood thicker with adoration than you have ever tasted!"

"Sisters! Enough of this, for surley this manner of yours makes you seem more foolish than even a sunfish. Sister Kelp is best at charming the sweetest of hearts, and sister Blood is best at luring men into her arms. Now please, instead of this idiotic quarrelling, lets just be grateful we arent sister Sea Foam and go find some sweet hearts."

The sisters had grown accustomed to doing as Squid commanded, and swished their long tails through the dark waters. The prince, still flailing desperatley in hopes of catching the attantions of the women so hypnotizing, could only watch as their dark forms dissapeared into the ever darkening ocean depths.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is my idea of the real reason the Little Mermaid went off to find a prince (You have to know the original tale, by the way, not the disney version.). This is also what her sisters think of her for going. Oh, and can anyone guess who Blood is modeled after?

EDIT: 25 readers so far! I know thats not much, but thats the most I've ever had. Thank you all for reading! I would love a review if you have the time, especially if you know why this story is so much more popular than the others. Is it just because it won a ProjectFiction challenge? Or did I do something better here?