Status: ACTIVE AGAIN!!

The Misadventures of Padfoot and Prongs

I Hear She's a Bit Mental

Orange streamers and floating jack-o'-lanterns decorated the Great Hall during the annual Halloween Feast. The Hogwarts students chatted away excitedly, turning to each other in between sips of pumpkin juice. The four Marauders sat together at the Gryffindor table, digging in to the delicious food laid out before them.

"I really think this is going to be Gryffindor's year," said James after he swallowed some chicken. The previous year, Gryffindor came in second place to Slytherin in the Quidditch Cup, and James was eager to annihilate them this year. "Our team is fantastic this year, we just can't lose!"

"We know, James. You've told us," said Remus, not looking up from his food. This was the umpteenth time James had ranted over the upcoming Quidditch season.

"I know, but I just can't wait to beat those slimy Slytherins. We should have won last year and we would have if our Keeper hadn't been knocked out," James seethed over the painful loss of the Cup. Sirius looked at James beside him and gave him advice that only a best mate can give without it causing a fight.

"James. Shut it. I know we lost, but just man up and focus on making sure we win this year. You're starting to sound like Moaning Myrtle," said Sirius. James just glared a tiny bit and then realized that he was indeed being a little bitch about it.

Once the conversation had reached a low point, Sirius went back to eating and letting his eyes wander around the room. They drifted near the Ravenclaw table, and he noticed Lyra sitting with a group of her friends. She had been spending a considerable amount of time with the Marauders since the pageant and all four of them now considered her a good friend.

Lyra looked up and saw him staring at her, so he smiled and waved. She beamed back at Sirius and waved just as her new boyfriend, Octavian Baines, sat next to her. He was a sixth year Ravenclaw just like she was, and on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team as a Beater. They began dating two weeks prior to the feast, ironically after being paired together in Astronomy when Sirius went back to working with James.

"Sirius, you can't honestly tell me that doesn't bother you," James said, nodding in the direction of Lyra and Octavian as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Sirius rolled his eyes at his friend.

"Come on, Prongs. You know she's just a friend," as he said it, he knew that it wasn't entirely true. He had to admit that he was attracted to Lyra, and that seeing her with Octavian did make him feel the tiniest twinge of jealousy, but that was all it was. He'd get over it sooner or later and he didn't appreciate James making it seem like he was in love with her when he really wasn't.

"If you say so," said James, looking closely at Sirius to see if he could find anything in his expression that would contradict that claim. The only thing he could discern was annoyance, but that was most likely caused by him, so he gave up and went back to eating.

Remus glanced up from his food, "The second trip to Hogsmeade is this weekend-"

"It is?!" Peter interrupted Remus excitedly.

"Yeah..." the other said, slightly irked, and continued, "I'm thinking of asking Janet to go with me."

"The Fifth Year?" James said, pointing down the Gryffindor table at a blonde girl chatting loudly with her friends. Remus nodded. "Why didn't you tell us you fancied her?"

"I wasn't sure I did," he said. "but I've decided to give it a go and see what happens," he replied. The guys all turned to look at her again, and she looked up.

"Well," Sirius said, looking at Remus. "Go ask her!"

The young Gryffindor sighed and stood up. The rest watched as he approached the girl named Janet, speaking swiftly and with a slight air of nervousness. She responded with a beaming smile and a seemingly inaudible 'yes'.

Remus walked back to the rest of the Marauders with a smile upon his face.

"I'm guessing it went well?" said James with a huge grin. Remus just smiled and sat down to finish his meal.

James, now seeing one of his best mates ask a girl out, decided he should do the same. Looking down the table he spotted his dear hearts desire: Lily Evans.

"I'll be right back," was all he spoke as he stood up and made his way down the table, opposite from where Remus had went.

Lily sat eating a pumpkin pastie while she talked to a first year about the enchantments on the ceiling. James took the empty seat next to her, interrupting the conversation.

"Sorry," he said to the first year. The young boy's cheeks flushed and he moved down to sit with other of his age. James didn't mean to scare him off, but he figured it was just as well as he turned to Evans. "Lily, you are always great with the first years. It kinda makes me think about how you'll be with our kids one day."

"Like I would ever have kids with you, Potter," Lily spoke with venom. "Why did you really come over here?"

"You never know, Lily," James smirked, "We could end up together. What would you want? A boy or a girl? Personally, a boy would be perferable to me. I can teach him all about Quidditch-of course I could teach a girl too, but then I think I would worry too much with a girl. Yes, a boy. Then again, a little girl who is just like you wouldn't be so bad. Except I would have to beat the blokes away-"

"Merlin, James!" the boy in question shut up and turned to the redhead, giving her a questioning look. "You're rambling! And I know I wont end up with you, you bullying toerag. Now what did you want?"

James, who looked defeated, sighed, "Never mind, Lily. It wasn't important."

As James got up and walked away, Sirius, although not hearing the conversation, saw Lily's confused and slightly guilty face. He smiled a bit and something inside him told him that soon Lily Evans would see his best friend for who he really is, and fall madly in love.

And that's when it hit the grey-eyed boy like a ton of bricks!

"What're you smiling about, Padfoot?" James ask sounding a bit far away.

"I know how you are gonna get Evans to fall in love with you," Sirius answered.

Remus placed his head in his hands, and mumbled, "Not another hair-brained scheme."

Sirius shook his head, "Not this time, Moony. No, I just realized that Lily can't not like you!"
All three looked at Sirius like he was crazy. Sirius huffed, "She can't hate you, Prongs, because she doesn't know you. She only knows the loud, obnoxious arsehole that picks on Slytherins and is constantly asking her out! You need to show her the James we all know and love!"

James seemed to think this through, but shook his head in the end. "I don't know, mate. What if she hates me more?"

"Then," Remus spoke this time, "you know it wasn't meant to be. But I think Padfoot is right, Prongs. Give it a go."

James Potter just nodded his head, and took one last look at Lily. She returned his gaze with a small smile and then turned back to her dinner and her friends.

The Hogsmeade weekend had fallen upon them at last. The Gryffindor common room was buzzing with excitement, mostly from the third years. The Marauders put on their cloaks and scarves before leaving Gryffindor tower and heading toward the front of the school. After being thoroughly inspected by a suspicious Filch, they were allowed to move forward to the horseless carriages. On the way there, Janet caught up with Remus and, looping her arm through his, dragged him off to the carriage she was sharing with her friends.

"Where do you think he'll take her?" Peter asked as they boarded the carriage.

"My guess is Madame Puddifoot's. That's where most blokes take girls on dates," said James.

"That place was just too girly for me," said Sirius, his nose crinkling in distaste. "Pink everywhere."

"That's pretty rich coming from the winner of our beauty pageant," James sniggered. Sirius smacked his arm and turned to look out the window.

When they finally arrived at Hogsmeade, James, Sirius and Peter got out of their carriage to see the snow-covered thatch-roofed cottages. For some reason, no matter what time of year it was, Hogsmeade was blanketed in snow. The trio headed straight for Zonko's Joke Shop.

As they entered the shop, they bypassed the Nose-Biting Tea Cups and Frog Spawn Soap, heading straight for the fireworks section at the back of the store. They had a sizable rack filled with all different brands and types, ranging from some roughly as large as a full-grown wizard, to some tiny enough to fit in the smallest of pockets.

Looking through the selection, James decided on a few small Fillibusters that were more fearsome than they looked. Two of them expelled a great deal of red, glittering sparks that multiplied if you tried to swat them away and the other one created a small orange horse that galloped around the room, singeing any papers it made contact with.

Sirius and Peter got a handful each that were similar to the ones James had. They also bought some cheap decoy fireworks that they could give to Filch if he made them turn out their pockets.

Leaving the shop with an air of mischievousness, the trio walked down the snow-covered streets toward their favorite pub, the Three Broomsticks. As they entered, they greeted the barmaid, Madam Rosmerta, who was approximately ten years their senior. Sitting in a booth at the back of the establishment, the boys took off their scarves and unfastened their cloaks.

"Where's your other friend?" she asked, as she served them their usual round of butterbeers.

The three of them each took out two Sickles to pay for the drink and gave them to her. "I hardly ever see you four apart when you're in town."

"Off with a girl," said Sirius, taking a sip from his foaming tankard.

"Well good on him, then," she said, "About time, I'd say. You boys want anything else, just come and find me."

Once she was gone, Sirius, James and Peter all slipped into normal conversation. James mentioned needing to pick up a few things from Spintwitches, the local Quidditch supply store.

"I really want my Nimbus 1001 in good shape for this season," said James, "I'm thinking I should get some more Fleetwood's High-Finish Handle Polish, since I'm almost out."

"Fancy seeing you boys here," interrupted a feminine voice from the end of the table. Looking away from James, they saw Lyra and Octavian standing near them, big smiles on their faces.
"Mind if we join you?"

"Not at all," said Sirius, looking pointedly at James. He was going to try to prove to James once and for all that Lyra being with someone other than him didn't matter.

Lyra took a seat next to Peter, across from Sirius, and Octavian grabbed a chair from an empty table and brought it over.

"Do you want anything, love?" asked Octavian. Lyra blushed a light pink and being addressed so affectionately while in the company of her friends, but didn't protest.

"Yeah, I think I'll have a butterbeer," she said, removing her blue and bronze scarf. She tucked her brown hear behind one ear, looking around the table.

"I'll be back in a minute," said Octavian. He leaned over and kissed Lyra's cheek before disappearing from the table and heading toward the bar to order their drinks. Lyra flushed again, but a smile was still on her face.

"How're you two getting on then?" James asked, nodding his head in the direction of Octavian.

"He's lovely," she said "really, lovely," her smile faded only in the slightest, "Though, if I'm honest, he is rather clingy. Not in a bad way exactly, but I don't seem to have time for myself anymore."

"Oh, then why don't you break up with him?" James asked, and was sharply elbowed by Sirius.

"Um, I mean, you know, if you feel like he's crowding you, you should tell him to give you some space."

Lyra looked thoughtful for a moment and was about to speak, but Octavian came back with two tankards of butterbeer and the conversation was lost.

As the five of them sat talking, Sirius got to know Octavian a little better. He was a very nice bloke, and didn't seem to have a bad word about anyone. He was rather good-looking and quite friendly. He obviously cared for Lyra a great deal, but he noticed that she didn't seem to return quite the same level of affection. She didn't give him the cold shoulder or anything of that nature, but there was something about her expression and body language. She wasn't entirely comfortable with him, or at least she seemed not to be. In the end, Sirius decided he was just over-analysing things.

"Hang on," Lyra suddenly said. "Where'd Remus get off to?"

"He's out with a girl," said Peter.

"Oh, anyone I know?"

"Maybe. She's a fifth year. Her name's Janet," said James.

"Oh dear," said Lyra, her face falling.

"What? What's wrong with her?" asked Sirius, leaning forward in his seat.

"Well..." she started, looking reluctant, "mind you, this is something I heard, so it may not be entirely true, but.. I hear she's a bit mental. Not medically or anything, but I just heard she's a bit of a handful with her boyfriends."

"How so?"

"I really don't know," she sighed. "It was probably just an ugly rumor and she'll be wonderful for Remus."

"We can only hope for the best," Sirius said with a shrug,

"Yeah," James spoke up after, "And if she is bonkers, it'll be a great story to tell."

Sirius snorted, "You're gonna wish for the worst now, mate?"

The other just grinned in response, causing Lyra to shake her head and smile.

Soon it was time for them to leave, and James promised to catch up with the others as soon as he finished at Spintwitches.

He walked out of the Quidditch shop with a new bag in his hand and look out across the road to see Lily walking back towards Hogwarts with a couple of her friends. Smirking to himself,
James took of at a jogging pace to reach her.

"Evans!" Lily turned around, saw James and groaned.

"What do you want now," she said, rolling her eyes.

James smiled, "Just to walk you back to school."

"I'm fine walking with my friends, thanks," Lily spat, but turned to see her friends had abandoned her. She turned back to a grinning James, "I'm also fine with walking by myself."

"Oh, come now, Lils," he said. "Just hand me your bags and walk with me." Lily raised her eyebrow at this. "We don't even have to talk."

The young redhead sighed, but handed him her bags anyway and started walking. James was a little stunned at first, but smiled and caught up with her, matching her step for step.

Lily was shocked that by the time they were halfway to Hogwarts; James had yet to say a word. In fact, she was now feeling a bit off because of it. She took a look at the boy to her right and she was amazed to see he seemed completely at ease and happy to just walk by her side. Lily noticed that every now and then James would glance over to her and smile a sweet smile before turning around again to watch up ahead.

Finally she had enough of the silence and said, "I really don't get you James Potter."

James snapped out of his thoughts and looked at the girl, and asked, "What do you mean?"

"I don't understand you. One minute you're being an arrogant bully, and the next you're.. not," she looked at him, trying to riddle him out.

"There's more to me than you know, Lily," said James. "I can only hope that one day you will take the time to find out what I mean."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again!! Well, this was sort of a filler, but with some important information behind it.

Thank you to everyone of you who have not only commented on here, but on my profile as well! We really appreciate it so much more than ya'll may know!!

Please comment and tell us what you think, and subscribe to know when we update!!

Love you all much grande!!!

Bambie!