Status: ACTIVE AGAIN!!

The Misadventures of Padfoot and Prongs

Ah! Bloody Hell, That Burns!

James still hadn't returned to the Gryffindor common room by the time Sirius awoke the next morning, and was still missing at breakfast. Sirius decided to wait and go check up on him in the Hospital Wing after his NEWT level Transfiguration class. There was no way in hell he would miss that class with McGonagall teaching it, as he (and most of the student body) feared McGonagall more than the general population was fearing this Lord Voldemort. This of course, was in good reason as the woman posed both a stern attitude, and a motherly one that you knew if you messed-especially if you were in Gryffindor as she was the house head- you'll either get a verbal lashing, or a guilt trip. Usually both.

When he snapped out of his trance he had realized that he somehow made it to the Transfiguration classroom early. And this just made him realize that he wasn't only missing James and Remus, but Peter as well.

The young man sighed and sat staring at the front of the room as the class filled up again.
In his boredom, Sirius decided to take advantage of the fact that the class was shared with the Slytherins and do one of his favorite things, second only to hanging out with James, Remus and Peter; bully Severus Snape.

Sirius grinned deviously and stealthily took out his wand. Snape sat a few tables to the side and a few to the front of him. Wearing his signature smirk, he whispered the words Wingardium Leviosa as he pointed the wand at Snape's opened and ready ink bottle.

Snape looked down in time to see his ink rise from the desk. He watched it in confusion for a second, finally realizing what was happening when it was hanging above him. Before he could stop it, though, Sirius flicked his wand and sticky black ink poured all over Snape's up turned face.

Sputtering ink from his mouth, Snape whipped around to face Sirius's laughing face, saying, "Black!"

Sirius stopped laughing as soon as his own ink bottle was dumped on him. Glaring back at Snape, Sirius's rash behavior came out in full force.

Sirius Black jumped out of his seat, pointing his wand towards Severus; a look of vengeance and determination was laden on both boy's face.

"Mr. Snape! Mr. Black!" Professor McGonagall's voice rang out, stopping the two boys from hexing each other. "Out of my classroom, the both of you! Ten points each from Slytherin and Gryffindor, and I expect to see you both tomorrow night in my office for detention!"

Snape attempted to protest the fact that he shouldn't have to go because, "Black started it! I-"

"Fought back, Mr. Snape," Professor McGonagall said, harshly. "Which is still against the rules."

A look of pure loathing crossed Severus' face as he looked at Sirius. Scowling, he walked back into the classroom. Sirius went to follow him, but was called back by Professor McGonagall.

"Mr. Black, I don't know what you had hoped to achieve by that display of immaturity, but it needs to stop. I can't have you continually disrupting my class, is that understood?" McGonagall said sternly.

"I understand, Professor," he smiled. Sirius was no stranger to detention, so another wasn't such a big deal. A piece of dust seemed to have floated into his eye, for he felt sudden irritation. Bringing his hand to his eye, Sirius tried to get the debris out of it. Unfortunately for him, his hand was still coated in ink.

"Ah! Bloody hell, that burns!" Sirius exclaimed, on instinct going to rub his eye again, which only got more ink into it.

"Oh, for goodness sake! Black, stop rubbing your eye and get to the Hospital Wing straight away."

Sirius stumbled down the hall until he found the staircase he was looking for. Running as fast as he could in an effort to alleviate the burning sensation in his eye as soon as possible, Sirius reached the Hospital Wing in only a few minutes. Madam Pomfrey scolded him for his stupidity in bringing a hand covered in ink even remotely close to his eye.

In just a few seconds, Madam Pomfrey has cleared the ink from his eye and then handed him a solution to rinse his eye with to relieve the burning. As Sirius walked towards the sink, he saw a familiar figure lying in one of the hospital beds.

"James!" he said, abandoning the sink and heading over to his bed. Halfway there, he decided his first priority should be to rinse his eye out, so he said "Hang on, mate, I'll be there in a second." and went to the sink to follow Pomfrey's instructions.

James chucked tiredly at his friend and sat up, throwing something at a sleeping Remus to wake him up.

"Geroff!" Remus grumbled, but woke with a start as his shoulder was hit with a bed pan.

"Are you serious, James?"

James looked at him blankly and pointed to the boy washing out his eyes, "No, he is."

Remus just rolled his eyes and rubbed his shoulder, "Sirius, what happened, mate?"

Sirius held up a finger to tell them to wait a moment so he could finish getting the ink out of his eye. It took him a minute longer, but finally he patted his face dry and moved over to his two best friends. James had his arm in a sling, and grimaced every few seconds, and Remus had a couple of fresh scratches along his arms.

Sirius regreted not going to check on him last night, but it was the last day of the full moon cycle last night, so Sirius would just have to make sure he was there next time.

"I poured Snivellus' ink bottle all over him, then he retaliated in the same fashion," Sirius said, "And then I got something in my eye and rubbed it with my ink covered hand."

James and Remus chuckled at this, and Sirius turned directly to James asking, "What about you, Prongs? A broken wrist doesn't take this long to fix."

Remus howled in laughter and James began scratching the back of his head, blushing slightly. Sirius looked between his two best mates confused and with a growing smirk on his face. If Remus was laughing this hard, it must've been good.

"He-he," Remus had to catch his breath, "He tried t-to fix his wr-wrist himself and-and hexed all the bones out of his arm!"

Sirius' barking laugh was probably heard all the way in Hogsmeade.

"Amazing James!" Sirius said, after calming down a bit, "Absolutely brilliant! Why would you go and do a stupid thing like that?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Sirius," James mocked, "Not all of us can be smart enough to rub ink into his eye."

"Easy fix," Sirius said, with a smirk. "But you have to regrow bones. So tell me what bloody happened!"

James sighed and began his tale, "So when Evans and I made our way into the Hospital Wing, we found Madam Pomfrey gone. I took a seat next to Moony here-"

"Took a seat!" Remus exclaimed, "He took a seat ontop of me, waking me up!"

"As I was saying," James continued, "Madam Pomfrey wasn't here so I tried a spell I once heard my mum do last time I had a broken arm. Unfortunately I said the bleeding thing wrong and all my bones in my arm vanished. Then Lily yelled at me for doing something so stupid instead of waiting for the nurse."

"She said, and I quote, 'James Potter, you dunderhead! I don't even know why I help when you are just going to do something so imbecilic!'" Remus chuckled and James smiled a bit.

"Well," continued James, "I like to think of it like this: if she is yelling at me for hurting myself, then she must love me at least a little."

Sirius just shook his head and glanced at the clock, "Well, mates, I got to get going. See you later tonight?"

Both boys shook their heads yes, and Sirius bid them good bye before leaving the Hospital Wing and heading to his next class, Potions. Since the two friends he had that were in this class were indisposed at the moment, he would have to find someone else to partner up with. And since Remus usually partnered up with Lily (well, since Snape called Lily a mudblood last year and she stopped talking to him.), and James with himself, then the only logical reasoning for this is that he shall partner up with Lily Evans.

Potions, however, turned out to be boring as well. Evans reluctantly agreed to be his partner for the day, and mostly they spoke only about the assignment. The only remotely interesting was their short conversation in the middle of the project.

"So James thought he could fix his wrist himself, eh?" Lily tried to contain a giggle beside him, shaking her head.

"That git," she said, stirring the potion carefully. Sirius had to admit, as much as he loved goofing off with James in Slughorn's class, he might trade Remus partners every once in a while to obtain a higher grade. Lily was a master at this craft.

"I can't stand when he does these things," she spoke softly. "Always bullying Sev-someone," Lily cast a sadden glance to a certain Slytherin, "Always getting himself into trouble. All for the sake of gaining everyone's attention. It's plain stupid if you ask me."

Sirius smirked, shaking his head as he placed some Eye of Newt into the cauldron, "He doesn't do it for everyone's attention, Evans. He does it to get your attention."

Lily just blushed and mentioned something about needing more Mandragora before running off to the student supply closet. When she came back, she continued brewing the potion in silence.

Sirius just let her be after that, only telling her goodbye before heading toward the library before dinner.

The sound of flipping pages and low murmurs were all that could be heard in the quiet library in Hogwarts Castle. Sirius Black lay sleeping with his head resting on an open Astronomy textbook. He had been trying to finish his essay on the similarities and differences between the Aurora Borealis on Earth, and the Aurorae that occur on Venus when he dozed off.

The slam of a heavy book on the table roused Sirius from his nap, causing him to jump up in surprise and wipe away the bit of drool that had gathered near the corner of his mouth. He looked down at his roll of parchment to see that he had not gotten past his first sentence. Groaning in disappointment, he rubbed the sleep from his eyes and turned back to the textbook, reading where he had left off.

Because Venus has no intrinsic (planetary) magnetic field, Venusian auroras appear as bright and diffuse patches of varying shape and intensity, sometimes distributed across the full planetary disc.

Eyes drooping in boredom once again, Sirius thought he'd never finish his essay. The material was just so uninteresting to him. Crossing his arms on the book in front of him, he laid his head down in defeat.

"You look like you could use some help," a voice behind him said. Raising his head, Sirius turned around in his seat to find a pair of bright blue eyes staring at him.

"You enjoy sneaking up on me, don't you?" Sirius smiled.

"Not particularly. You're just an easy target," said Lyra.

"Take a seat," Sirius gesticulated toward the seat next to him. "You finished with the Astronomy essay yet?"

"Just did, actually. I take it you haven't?" she said as she placed a small pile of books on the table and sat down in the wooden chair.

"Would you be so kind as to let me borrow it?" Sirius asked politely, deceptively innocent smile on his face.

"That would be cheating," said Lyra.

"What, you've never broken any rules before?"

"Well, yes, I have, but I just don't know how I feel about letting you have my homework." Lyra crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair.

"Please? I'm dying here. I won't copy it, I promise, just use your ideas and write it in my own words."

"Do I get anything out of it?" she asked,

"How Slytherin of you." he said, causing her to scoff. "I'd be forever in your debt."

"Hmm.. I suppose I could just.. leave it on the table. If you found it and returned it to me later, what you did with it while you had it has nothing to do with me." she smiled.

"You're a lifesaver. Honestly." Sirius looked relieved. Lyra gave a small laugh.

"You're welcome. Just don't make a habit of it," she said, taking the homework out of her bag and placing it on the table in front of Sirius. "I've got to be off now, I promised a friend I'd help her with something."

"You're certainly a helpful person."

"What can I say? I aim to please," Lyra stood up from her seat. "Goodbye, Sirius."

"Hey, wait up!" Sirius got out of his chair and stopped her from leaving. "Would it be too much to ask for another favor?"

"What kind of favor?"

"Well, that's kind of a long story," Sirius didn't know how exactly to explain to her girl in front of him that he wanted her to put make-up on him and his best mate for a beauty pageant, without her laughing in his face and saying no, or thinking he was gay.

"Tell me about it tomorrow in Astronomy. I really do need to be going now," said Lyra, glancing at the clock. "I'm running late."

"Not very punctual, are you?"

"No, not really," she smiled ruefully. "I've never been good with keeping time. So I really need to go." Once again, she turned to leave.

"One more thing!" Sirius said, grinning at the tiny scowl on her face at being called back again. Waiting to make sure he had her full attention, he said "See you in class." and winked at her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are much appreciated!