Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

1

''Come on Merlin!'' Arthur shouted, annoyed as he tied his horse to a blooming tree.

''Coming... Sire.'' Merlin rolled his eyes, his horse finally coming to a stop. A rather abrupt stop, sending Merlin forward slightly.

He dismounted the horse, sighing heavily as he tied the pale grey horse to a thick tree branch.

Arthur signaled his knights and his lowly servant, most of which Merlin did not understand.The Knights hide behind trees and bushes, although Merlin didn't quite receive the message, earning an irritated sigh from the Prince.

He quickly ducked behind an unkempt bush, peering out from the side. Arthur signaled them to come, and they did as they were told, being good little obedient knights.

Only it was not an animal they found.

There laid an incredibly beautiful girl, her long flowing wavy hair sprawled out on the forest floor, those same raven locks only adding harshness to her pale skin, and Arthur found himself incapable of looking away.

She seemed to be unconscious, and crimson blood stained her dark green dress. He picked her up, carrying her as a man newly married would carry his bride. He called the knights, ordering them to prepare to leave.

He handed the girl over, mounting his horse after untying it. He took her back, holding her securely as his horse raced to Camelot, the knights and Merlin following close behind.

He felt it necessary that Gaius treated her in his chambers, instead of laying on an uncomfortable table or creaky bed.

''It seems the lady has been stabbed.'' Gaius informed the Prince as he stood a few feet away from her.

''Stabbed?!'' Arthur asked, outraged. ''Who would wound a lady?'' He asked.

Gaius shrugged, wrapping her bleeding arm with a crushed herb inside. ''She should wake up any moment, although she may be quite tired.'' Gaius explained to the still mind boggled Prince.

After Gaius left, Merlin walked in, struggling to balance Arthur's Armour and chain mail within his lanky arms.

''How is she?'' Merlin asked, seeing the Prince glance back at him.

''She should awake any moment Gaius said.'' Arthur spoke, his voice indicating that he was visiting somewhere deep inside his mind.

''Who is she?'' Merlin asked, sitting Arthur's war wear down on the wooden table, taking a look at her as she lay on Arthur's bed, unconscious.

''I don't know...'' The Prince peeked at her, a look of strong endearment adorning his pale face.

He cleared his throat, looking back at his manservant.''Ah! You'll need to clean my stables and wash my clothes.'' He said, seeing he was through with polishing his Armour and chain mail.

Merlin sighed, slouching visibly as he set off for his daily duties.

Arthur took a seat next to her, watching as the sun glistened over her fair skin, as it accentuated the lighter shades of black in her wavy locks. Her eyes suddenly fluttered open, revealing a pair of beautiful deep green eyes.

He was at a loss for words, although she didn't seem to be. ''You!'' She stood up in his bed, pointing a long bony finger at him as she spat venom with every word she spoke.

''You bastard!'' She shouted, throwing whatever was nearest to her, unfortunately for him that happened to be a very large and very thick book.

Arthur was confused, that goes without saying.

''Way to greet someone who saved your life.'' He found his voice atlas.

She laughed bitterly. ''Who said I wanted to be saved?'' She asked, her question clearly being rhetorical as she ran out of his chambers.

''Wait!'' He called behind her, following her down hallway to hallway.

She nearly ran right into a wall, sighing angrily as she realized she had ran into a dead end. Now she was cornered, by the one man she couldn't possibly hate more.

''Stay away from me you vile, evil man!'' She threatened, backing against the stone wall behind her.

''I'm not going to hurt you.'' Arthur spoke sincerely and softly.

''Oh, I wish you would try.'' Tears began to prick at her eyes, raising a threat of their own.

''What did I do?'' Arthur asked, wondering why this beautiful stranger was so upset with him.

He slowly inched closer. ''What did you do?' '' She scoffed, Arthur only now realizing the tears in her eyes. She lounged herself at the Prince, calling the attention of the guards.

They came quick, pulling her away from the Prince, and not so gently.

''Where are your manners? How dare you touch a lady with such harshness?'' He asked of the guards, his expression of nothing but anger. They let go of the beautiful young lady, bowing their heads in shame.

''I'm so sorry.'' Arthur apologized sincerely to her.

''Don't be. Why should I or you care if I live or die? If I am handled as a lady should or if I am thrown harshly like a man?'' She walked, fast and angry.

She knew not of where she was going, only that she needed to get away, even if she had no where to go. She bumped into a thin skeletal frame, their bodies colliding with a painful impact.

''I'm so sorry!'' She heard a women's voice apologize. She looked over, seeing the young and beautiful Kings ward, lady Morgana.

''As am I.'' She replied, preparing to walk around her. ''Um what is your name? I don't recognize you.'' Morgana carried the conversation.

''Evangeline.'' She answered, smiling despite the tears prepared to fall down her cheeks. ''I'm actually quite lost.'' She honestly spoke, biting her swollen lip as she glanced around.

''You should stay in my chambers tonight. Tomorrow I could show you around?'' Morgana suggested, seeing a great friendship in the near future.

''That would be much to ask.'' Evangeline spoke, the lady was too kind.

''No, I insist.'' Morgana smiled, touching her hand. Evangeline smiled, accepting her proposal.''What happened to your arm?'' Morgana asked, holding her arm carefully as she looked it over.

Evangeline looked down, forgetting all about the stab wound that had ripped and stained her dress.''I was stabbed. The knights found me somewhere in the forest, I suppose.'' She frowned as she realized just how bad it hurt.

''Come, we'll go visit Gaius.'' She smiled reassuringly, leading her to the court's physician's chambers.

''Why did you rip it off?'' Gaius asked, his brows knit together as he retrieved the honey.''I had a heated debate with 'the Prince'.'' She scoffed, rolling her eyes. ''It was to prove a point.'' She quietly added, just an a tall lanky boy stumbled in.

''So your treating it again?'' He asked of her, hearing the news of her angrily ripped it off.

''I made her.'' Morgana smiled, looking down at her as she sat on a wooden chair.

Merlin set his bag on the table, taking a seat and a long exhausted breath.

''Arthur wearing you thin?'' Morgana laughed quietly. Merlin shook his head 'yes', closing his eyes. After Gaius patched her up, she went on her way.

''I'm going to take a look around.'' She smiled at the lady Morgana, who smiled as well. ''Alright. Gwen will have a bed ready for you when you return.'' She explained.

''Thank you.'' Evangeline smiled, waving at Merlin and Gaius before walking out. She walked into the town square, her head down as she passed peasant and knights.

Someone touched her arm, causing her to wince in pain. She sharply turned around, coming face-to-face with the Prince. She instantly and almost unintentionally glared, turning back around as she prepared to walk away from him.

He stepped in front of her, a burning question in his eyes. ''Why are you so angry with me?''

''You killed my brother!'' She nearly growled. Wondering just how heartless the man standing before her was, after all he didn't even know what he did.

''Matthew.'' He spoke, sad and lost in thought. ''Yeah, he looked up to you. He thought the only way to prove to our Father that he was a good heir and knight was if he fought you. Now I have no one.'' A silent tear fell down her cheek as she walked away, ready to break into sobs.

''Wait!'' He ran after her, stopping in front of her with a solemn expression. ''I'm so sorry. I had no choice, knights rule... to the death.'' He frowned.

''I doesn't matter! I lost one of the only people I've ever loved.'' Arthur frowned, looking down as the guilt only increased.

She walked away, tears falling down without her permission. Evangeline walked through the castle, a blank expression on her pale face.