Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

12

''Father...'' Arthur hesitantly began, glancing at his father from across the long thin dinning table.

''Yes?'' Uther asked, taking a drink from his silver goblet.

''I-...'' Arthur sighed, this was going to be a bit awkward for him.

Uther set his goblet down, looking away from his plate of food to look over at his son, who fidgeted nervously in his chair.

''You can tell me anything, Arthur. You know that.''

''... There's this... girl.'' Arthur avoided eye contact, biting his lip lightly.

''Go on.'' Uther urged, popping a cherry into his mouth. ''Tell me about her.''

''Shes... well shes beautiful. Shes kind and loyal and shes not afraid to stand up for what she believes.''

''She sounds like a lovely girl.''

Arthur smiled lightly. ''She is, but there's one problem...'' He slightly frowned, his eyes cast down at the wooden table between them.

''What's that?'' The King asked casually of his son, setting his silverware down to pay the utmost attention to his son and heir.

''Well... She's made it quite clear from the moment we've met, that she completely loathes me.'' He sadly informed.

''Well that does present a problem.''

''Yes...'' Arthur quietly sighed, playing with his hands under the table.

****************

The next afternoon Merlin marched cheekily into her chambers, a look of confidence and satisfaction.

''I found it.'' He happily announced, gaining a wide smile and a hop off the bed from Mirabelle.

''Can we do it?'' She asked like a child asking their parents for sweets.

Merlin's smile grew. ''Yeah.'' He excitedly informed.

''In the Darkling woods?'' He asked, looking down at her as her eyes twinkled. ''Yes, yes, yes!'' She hugged Merlin tightly, him and Morgana were her only true friends.

Merlin was a bit taken aback, he doesn't usually attain much psychical contact from a lady.

''I can only do this once.'' She sighed after pulling away.

*

Merlin and Evangeline were to met at the Darkling woods after the sun had set behind the trees, Mirabelle was on her way, her dark velvet cloak shielding her from the cool air.

She kept nothing from Morgana, so she knew. Evangeline wanted her to met her brother, and she was walking in the direction of Morgana's chambers for that reason.

''Evageline! I wish to speak with you.'' She recognized Camelot's crowned prince's voice. She sighed, annoying and not so discretely.

''I really must go.'' She continued to walk past him, he always seemed to catch her at the worst time.

''But-...'' He stepped in front of her, gaining a roll of her emerald eyes.

Evangeline had to assemble her thoughts and collect her breaths in a slow easy manner, he knew exactly when to be persistent!

''What?'' She nearly begged, she just wanted it to be over.

''Never mind. I seems I've upset you.''

''You're so very perceptive.'' She dryly stated, walking around him and continuing on her way.

''Morgana?'' She whispered into the candlelit doorway.

''I'm coming!'' Morgana sounded from the royally decorated divider, were she was changing her gown.

Evangeline smiled, shutting the door behind her as she waited patiently.

''Okay...'' She appeared her hair in dark spirals and her fine red cloak covering her dark purple dress.

She smiled at Evangeline lopping arms with her s they walked out, heading for the darkling woods.

*

''Merlin!'' Morgana smiled as they approached him, his smile unmovable.

Evangeline took a deep breath, lighting the candles Merlin had smuggled from the palace.

They were in a small cave, quite away from Camelot, it was far better that way.

Evangeline spoke, her voice thick in Old English as Morgana and Merlin stood by. Suddenly the wind seemed to go slower as it traveled the space above and around them and when Evangeline spoke the last word, she opened her eyes.

''Matthew!'' She nearly squealed, embracing her older brother lovingly. '''I've missed you.''

''Evangeline, I'm so happy your alright.'' He smiled the smile she missed so dearly.

Tears were pricking at her big green eyes, the happy kind.

''I've made friends. Morgana and Merlin.'' She gestured to them, who were smiling wider than fools.

He smiled, waving slightly. He was always the shy type.

''I want to kill Pendragon even more!'' Her tears began to fall.

''You must not blame Arthur, I was the challenger.'' Matthew spoke softly, yet in a strict older brother way.

''You shouldn't hold grudges, its bad for you.''

She wiped her tears. ''I don't want to talk about him.''

Matthew smiled softly, hugging his sister once more. ''I love you, Vangie. Don't ever forget me.'' He teased, causing her to laugh a quiet melodic laugh in his ear.

He kissed her forehead, before the winds pace slowed to a near stop and she no long felt his arms around her.

She smiled a sad smile, a hot fresh tears journeying down her cheekbone.

*

Morgana and Merlin comforted her, made her smile.

After they destroyed any evidence that anyone at all had stumbled onto that cave, they left for Camelot.

Merlin separated from Morgana and Evangelin, his chambers were just to the side of the main entrance.

Evangeline walked Morgana to her chambers, gaining one last comforting hug and soft smile before heading for her own chambers, or temporary chambers.

She sighed shakily, tears staining her fair cheeks as she hastily walked to the door just in front of her room.

She collapsed on her bed, a sad yet at peace smile on her face.