Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

16

Suddenly the horse that was once racing to her kingdom, threw its front hooves in the air, knocking Evangeline off.

Her father's men had startled the poor animal.

They rushed to her, their swords drawn. She pulled her hood down, exposing her fair face and mane of dark long hair.

They drew their swords back, bowing to the Princess who still sat upon the forest floor.

A young fair haired guard spoke. ''Princess, forgive us.''

The two guards helped her up. ''It's quite alright.'' She sweetly spoke, testing her foot against the ground, making sure her ankle wasn't sprained.

Evangeline calmed her horse down, stroking his dark skin as she softly sang a small tune.

''Back to your post, I'm sure I can manage.'' She smiled in their direction, getting back on the now slowly breathing horse.

They bowed slightly, marching back up the hill they would hide behind.

She gently encouraged the horse to ride once again and it took her straight to the gates of her kingdom.

The people in the outline villages and cities all bowed, mummbling the news of their Princesss' return.

Her horse rode on, determined to reach the gates of the palace. The guards opened the gate, allowing her passage into the town square.

She bit her lip, memories flooding her well defended mind.
Evangeline dismounted her horse, glancing up at the castle walls, she sighed.

She ignored the sound of trumpets, announcing her arrival and slowly walked up the all to familiar stairs that lead to the main entrance of the castle.

Her father came rushing down the small stairwell to the left, his arms open wide and tears in his eyes.

Evangeline smiled wholeheartedly, meeting her father halfway.

''I've missed you, Father.'' She hugged him tightly, after kissing his scarred, aging cheek.