Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

19

Evangeline's Father insisted that she visit her friends in Camelot, she had been looking dreadfully miserable and her mind was in constant wary.

There were far too many memories and she simply needed a short break.

She refused the offer for a couple of long hard days, she could never forgive herself for leaving her Father when he needed her the most and she certainly wasn't going to make that mistake again.

Although another terrible day had passed and once again the violent sobs robbed her of sleep, anyone who would gaze upon her would know she was falling to bits, despite how hard she tried to hide it.

''I really must impress on you, my lady, it would do you good to get away from this place, for even a little while.''

Evangeline's handmaid encouraged, frowning at the unmaskable somberness in her big emerald eyes.

''Why does everyone want to get rid of me? I only just got back.'' She teased, although her servant was painfully serious.

''I'm fine, honestly.'' Evangeline smiled lightly, although her eyes wouldn't allow the smile to reach them.

The maidservant was far from convinced and looked upon her with a sympathetic smile.

''Your Father is well looked after, besides you looking so miserable isn't helping. He wants to see you happy again, only then can he be.''

Evangeline thought over the last words the plump lady had spoke as she took up a basket of laundry and left Evangeline's chambers, maybe she was right.

''Have you given any thought to what I suggested?'' Odin had asked from beside her, eating diner with his daughter.

She bit her lip, sighing as she looked over at him. ''I can't bring myself to leave you again, I'm ashamed of what I did. I was selfish.'' Her eyes fell to her lap, where her hands were fidgeting hopelessly under the thick wooden table.

He rest an assuring hand on the shoulder of his chestfallen daughter. ''You have no need of being ashamed, Evangeline, dear. I understand completely and if going to Camelot to see the servant boy and the King's ward will bring you happiness, than there is nothing more I could want.''

She peeked up at him, her eyes sad. ''I-... I wont be long, Father.'' She atlas obliged,
receiving a smile from her dark haired Father.

*

Evangeline kissed her Father's cheek, hugging him once more, before mounting her pale horse, biting her lip as she glanced back at him, where he stood on the many steps, smiling softly.

She had not the time to send word to Morgana and Merlin, she thought she might surprise them with her presence.

Pulling her deep purple cloak hood over her gloomy ringlets and rode through the town square, stopping her horse to dismount it.

Morgana ran down the stairs before Evangeline's booted feet had touched the stone floor,
Morgana, still in her pale blue night gown rushed to her friend, tears falling and an endless smile tugging at her nude lips.

Evangeline braced herself for the impact, hugging Morgana back once she had reached her.
''I'm so happy you're back! Why did you let me know? I would have at least wore proper clothes.'' She laughed.

Evangeline smiled. ''I thought I would surprise you, and that clumsy ol' servant boy.'' She teased.

''Hey!'' The two brunettes heard a boy defend, swiftly turning to the sound, their eyes met an adoribly smiling Merlin.

She met him halfway, embracing him in a tight yet brief hug. ''How are you?''

''Arthur has me mucking out the stables.'' He sneered, smiling non-the-less.

''Come, lets get inside.'' Evangeline took their hands, seeing Morgana in a nightgown had the majority of the male population of Camelot staring.

*

''Merlin!'' The nauseating voice of the crowd Prince shouted into a corridor.

''You answer to me, this boy is mine for the day. '' Evangeline took his arm, her voice causing Arthur to swiftly turn around.

To his great surprise she was actually smiling, he's never seen a smile grace her ravishing lips before and it sure stunted his capability to speak and move.

''You're back!'' He found his voice at last, closing the large gap between them.

''No, this is the ghost of me.'' She dryly stated, looking up at Arthur.

Morgana smiled lightly, shaking her head gently at the sarcasm in her friends voice.

''Is Merlin pardoned?'' Evangeline asked, as much as she loathed Arthur, Merlin worked for him.

Arthur swallowed hard after prying his eyes from her own, stuttering a shaky; ''Y-Yes, of course.''

Without a word Merlin, Morgana and herself walked around him, preparing to do heaven knows what, as long as they were in one another's company, they did not mind.