Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

2

Suddenly trumpets sounded loudly from outside, Evangeline was a bit terrified. She knew her Father would come looking for her but she wasn't ready to go back, the memory of her brother was far to strong.

She rushed out of Morgana's chambers. ''The King requests an audience with you.'' The Prince announced to her as she swiftly walked by. ''No, I cant. I-I....'' She was beginning to panic, her deep blue eyes filled with terror.

''I can't go back yet, it hurts too much. I just can't...'' She glanced through the hallway they stood in, her eyes glistening with tears.

He took her arm gently, pulling her into a room. ''Just... stay here.'' He instructed, walking out of the room and shutting the door behind him.

She didn't know why she obeyed him or trusted him, but she did. She heard her Fathers shouting just outside the door. Her breath caught in her throat and she hastily hid in Arthur's dresser, locking it from the inside.

The door burst open and she heard her Fathers angry shouts. She stopped breathing all together. ''Where is she? She didn't come home yesterday.'' Her Father explained rather loudly.

''I need to know shes okay.'' She bit her lip, feeling a bit guilty about hiding. ''I assure you Sir, she is not here.'' Arthur lied easily. ''I don't want to even see you!'' The King yelled, acting as though he was in his own territory. He hated Arthur just as much as Evangeline.

''Odin, if she is spotted in or near Camelot you will be informed.''

She breathed a sigh of relief, and quietly, when her Father exited Arthur's chambers.

''You can come out now.'' Merlin whispered, causing her to smile slightly. She hesitantly did so, biting her swollen lip.

''I feel so bad about hiding. I love my Father.'' A solemn expression adorning her enchanting features.

''If my Father finds out your here, he will tell your Father. We would want to avoid a war.'' Arthur informed, glancing at her. ''Well that's it then, I set off for... wherever the wind takes me, at dawn.'' She took a deep breath.

''You will do no such thing!'' Morgana's voice sounded from Arthur's bedroom door. ''Come now, you'll stay with me.''

''I can't. I'm sorry Morgana but I wont be a burden to you and I'm not quite ready to go back.''

''But of course you're not! But I will not have you wandering around in the dangerous woods all my yourself.'' She spoke softly yet strictly.

''Why wont you go back?'' Merlin asked from her side.''I can't go back right now. My brothers memory is everywhere, and I can't take it. My Father loves me, and I him. But I simply can't go home, not so soon...'' She mumbled the last bit solemnly.

Arthur frowned deeply from where he stood, he was to blame and now he felt even more guilty than he had before.

''Come, come now. I'm going to get you a new dress and we can set off into Camelot to find you a man.'' Morgana teased, trying to lighten the mood.

''What mad man would would willingly be with me?'' Evangeline asked, walking toward Morgana.

''Evangeline! You speak nonsense.'' Morgana took her arm gently, walking out of Arthur's chambers.

''Evangeline.'' Arthur whispered her name once they left. ''It's a beautiful name, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.'' Merlin smirked, beginning to make Arthur's bed.

When she returned to Morgana's chambers, Guinevere had a bed ready. Morgana had given her a beautiful dark red dress. Gold vines wrapped around the arm of the long sleeves. Her defined collarbones exposed and red lace climbed up her chest like crimson limbs.

Guinevere brushed her long wavy dark hair as Morgana and Evangeline talked. ''Thank you, Guinevere.'' Evangeline thanked her, smiling politely.

''I will get you a room of your own tomorrow.'' Guinevere smiled kindly.

''Thank you, again. I owe you both so much.'' She touched their hands briefly.

''I must see Gaius.'' She waved goodbye, fleeing the chambers Morgana and herself share. She walked through the town square, drawing the attention of a partially large group of men.

''My lady!'' Sir Leon stopped her. She looked up at him questioningly, her arched, dark eyebrows raising slightly. He held out his hand, a smile gracing his face.

She took it, smiling politely. She blushed as he kissed her hand, introducing himself as 'Sir Leon' a Knight of Camelot.

''Evangeline.'' She informed, not seeing Prince Arthur nearly fuming in the background.

''Practice time!'' The Prince announced, cutting Sir Leon and Evangeline's time short.

''I must go.'' Sir Leon explained, not caring to cast a glance at Arthur.

''I understand.'' She smiled, taking her hand back gently. When he left, she began to walk in the direction of the Physicians chambers. That is, until Prince Arthur stopped her.

She sighed, annoyed as she sharply glanced at him. ''What?'' She demanded.

''Look, I'm sorry about your brother. I really am, I just hope that you can forgive me.'' He sincerely apologized, begging her forgiveness.

''Maybe over time, but not every soon. So if you don't mind, I have somewhere to be.'' She walked around him.

She walked up the many stairs that lead to the door of Gaius's chambers. The door was cracked open a bit, so she instinctively looked in. Her eyes widened at what she saw, she thought she was the only one.

She knocked quietly at the wooden door. Merlin opened the door, it seems Gaius was no where to be seen. ''Merlin, you should be more careful.'' She scolded, walking in and shutting the door behind her.

''W-What do you mean?'' He nervously asked, looking away briefly.

''Don't play stupid, your secrets save with me. I myself disagree strongly with what Uther does to those with magic.'' She spoke softly, a frowned on her fair face.

Merlin looked at her strangely, hesitant to not deny his magic. Suddenly her dark, mysterious green eyes flashed a pale grey, like a moonlit fire. A rag floated up toward Merlin's face as he stood there, shocked and delighted.

She smiled beautifully. ''You're not alone.''

A grin impossibly large appear on Merlin's face, only adding to his already goofy features. ''You're a witch!'' He quickly exclaimed, happy to have someone like him.

''Yes, I'm also a seer.'' She explained, also happy to have another wizard to speak with, she didn't feel so alone anymore.

''Wow.'' Merlin breathed, the smile far from leaving his face. ''You don't mind if I... talk to you about it, do you?''

''Not at all!'' Evangeline smiled for the first time since her brothers untimely death.

Merlin smiled back, his face pink from grinning so long.

They spoke all about magic and how alone and afraid they were when they first knew of their abilities. They spoke about how painful it must be for Merlin to smile at Uther after all those innocent lives he stole.

*

''So I take it you don't like Arthur so well.'' Merlin smiled, in a teasing fashion.

She unintentionally groaned. ''I find him disenchanting and irritating. Although I suppose I should admit, he's far better than his father. I still hate him though.''

''Merlin!!'' She recognized Arthur's voice and audibly groaned. ''Merlin?! My chambers are a mess, my Armour needs polished and what in gods name is this?'' He gestured to his ripped up shirt.

''You're so stupid sometimes.'' He spoke upon entering, his mouth agape as he saw the Lady Evangeline. Every time he laid eyes on her, it was as if it were the first time he saw her.

''Merlin is clearly NOT the stupid one.'' She scolded, sharply walking around him and out of the physicians courtiers, she would find Gaius else where.

''Why does she hate you so much?'' Merlin asked, walking alongside the Prince as they set off in the direction of his chambers.

''Because... her brother: Matthew challenged me to a duel, Knights code, and... he lost.'' He somberly explained, his eyes cast down.

''Oh...'' Merlin trailed off, frowning slightly.