Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

23

''Come on, Evangeline, please! Let me in, I'm sorry I made you cry, forgive me?'' It was dreadful day two of the knowledge of Arthur's feelings and all was not well.

Arthur begged and pleaded with her through the large wooden doors, which hide her from his glossy bright eyes.

He sighed heavily upon getting no answer, leaning against the door. He knew he should have never told her. It was impossible she could feel the same.

''Evangeline, if you don't talk to me, I will break down this door.'' He threatened, though his tone was soft and desperate.

Evangeline had a strange desire to get up, walk straight to the door, open it up and kiss him as if there would be no tomorrow. She loathed herself for thinking that way, it frightened her even.

She sighed angrily, at long last uttering a word to him. ''Leave me alone!''
''I can't do that. I need to talk to you.''

Evangeline felt angry tears journey down her cheek. ''Well, I don't want to talk to you! Every time I come to Camelot you make me hate it even more!''

Arthur sighed sadly, rubbing a hand through his fair tousled locks.

She hated that she felt guilty for being harsh, and buried her face in her richly colored pillows.

''Then allow me to change your mind?'' He almost laughed at his feeble strand of hope, nearly smacking his own head. He never meant to say those words.

''The nerve of you, I swear!'' She threw a pillow at the door, hiding herself under the thick rich purple blankets covering her bed.

She could hear chatter on the other end of the door, she instantly recognized Merlin's voice and almost smiled.

Next she heard was a soft knock on the door, she reluctantly got up, slowly walking to the door and opening it.

She was happy to see Merlin alone.

Evangeline smiled the best she could, stepping out of the way so that he could enter.

''What brings you here?'' She asked, shutting the door behind him.

Merlin sighed, knowing she wouldn't take this well. ''You and Arthur.''
Evangeline rolled her eyes at the mere mention of his name.

''Come on, he's a mess. It's not healthy for him after his very near death experience. It's not great for you either. You can't hide anything from me, Evangeline.''

Evangeline glanced over at him, her brows knitting together lightly. ''Whatever do you mean?''

Merlin rose a brow, shaking his head. ''You know perfectly well.''

''Merlin, when you're finished being cryptic and mysterious, let me know.'' She walked toward her bed, her soft welcoming bed.

''Evangeline! Don't pretend you don't like him. It's useless with me.''

Evangeline turned sharply. ''I could never like him! He killed my brother, Merlin. If I could like him than I would be betraying Matthew. It's demented! It's sick!''

Merlin sighed, knowing Arthur could probably hear her shouts from his chambers next door.

''Evangeline, your brother told you not to blame Arthur. You wouldn't be betraying him. Do you think Matthew would want you to be miserable on his behalf?''

She turned away, knowing Merlin was right, though she couldn't simply shake off her resentment toward Arthur, no matter how much faster her heart beat when he was in her presence.

''Merlin...'' She sighed, frowning for the millionth time today. ''I can't. I can't forgive him.

Sometimes I just... I just want to hurt him as badly as hes hurt me.''

''Evangeline, I understand. Arthur isn't boasting about it though! He regrets it everyday of his life. Sometimes... Sometimes it's just good to let go.''

Merlin knew he was walking on thin ice, but he had to say it.

''I can't simply let go of my best friend! My brother. I can't just forget the fact that I will never see his smile again!'' Her voice broke in the end as her eyes began to sting.

Merlin frowned, sighing. ''I'm sorry, Evangeline.''

Evangeline shook her head. ''No, it's not you, Merlin.''

She sat down the edge of her bed, staring at her hands. ''I-... A part of me wants to forgive him, honestly, Merlin. But the other part... well, it's opposed. Very much so. I can't, can not, find it in myself to set aside the bloodshed.''

''Oh, if only, Merlin. If only I could turn back time.'' She sighed longingly an edge of sorrow in her tone.

Later that dreadful evening Morgana had at long last convinced Evangeline to go somewhere, to do something.

They strolled the market, enjoying the simmering sun rays for a few fair hours, and then they left for the inter parts of the castle.

The next day called for a stroll in the ever so beautiful Darkling Wood. Evangeline slipped on a emerald velvet cloak and left the castle.

She heard noises as she entered deeper into the woods, and not until she seen a beautiful creature, his eyes the color of the sea and his fur as dark as night, and Prince Arthur attempting to injure it, did she know what she was hearing.

''Stop!'' She stepped in between Arthur's sword and the creature, her eyes wide in shock and anger.

''What is your problem?! Have to hurt everything beautiful?'' She fell to her knees on the side of the injured creature, her eyes in a solemn state.

''I-It tried to kill me.'' Arthur defended weakly.

Evangeline hummed soothingly to the creature, her eyes glossy as she stroked its fur.

She couldn't heal him in front of Arthur, she would be exposed and she highly doubted he liked her enough to go against his ruthless Father and King.

''Go away!'' She shouted, not looking at him.

''I'm not leaving you with this dangerous creature.'' He said firmly, yet his eyes were soft with sadness.
''What makes it dangerous?'' She asked angrily, gesturing to the maimed and sad creature.

''It's a magically creature.''

Unknowingly, her eyes hardened at his words. A strange expression he could not understand of yet flashed across her sharp features.

''Just because it was born of magic does not mean it will only destroy. You're just like your
Father! Get out of my sight!'' She shouted, throwing a branch in his direction.

''Go!''

He at last left, a sorrowful expression etched upon his fair face.

Quickly placing her hand over it's wound, speaking an incantation softly.

The creature would be well, it stumbled to its feet, happily shaking its mane and trotting away into the forest.

Evangeline was invited to the Feast, dedicated to the celebration of a magic-free Camelot.

With much anger, Evangeline accepted, she did not even think of Arthur. Only of her resentment toward Uther, who brutally murdered most of her kind and is the reason she has to hide her powers.

She grudgingly changed into a dark blue gown, it was so deep in color, that it could deceive you into believing it was ebony.

The dress' lacy tail trailed behind her as she walked, dark blue velvet blanketed her torso and most of her long slender legs, the rest was dressed in dark lace, her legs were completely unseen.

She touched the necklace on her neck, the necklace her brother never had the chance to give her.

Evangeline avoided the watchful eye of Arthur Pendragon as he sat on the right side of the

King, Morgana on the left and Evangeline next to her.

Morgana was regretting coming at all, just as Evangeline was.

They kept whispering their disagreements to one another while Uther gave a few anti-magic rants.

Uther was eager to butter her up, in hopes of a peace agreement with her Father, Odin, and uniting Bernicia and Camelot.

She treated such advances with a forced smile.

As the feast dragged on, the Knights grew drunker and drunker and the moon was risen high in the midnight blue sky.

Evangeline had to get away from all the cheers and laughter, cheers for murder and inhumanity.

The injustice of the Great Purge was startling, she did not realize a single tear that journeyed down her fair cheek as she walked into the hall outside of the feastivities.

The tear fueled by grusome images of the massacre that had befallen Albion.

''Are you alright?'' A terribly familiar voice asked, low and grave.

She sighed. When would she be rid of him?

''No, I'm not. I am exhausted. Loving people is exhausting. And loosing someone you love?

Well, that's the most exhausting of all.''

Evangeline wondered why she was speaking to him, and in such a civil manner.

Arthur was surprised to hear her speaking so kindly, though he was not complaining. He couldn't help the speed in which his heart beat and he most definitely did not try.

Evangeline glanced up at him, his silence puzzling her slightly.

She caught his eye, a strange feeling bubbling up in her stomach and her heart frightening her with a faster pace.

''Why are you looking at me like that?'' She glanced away.

Arthur dropped his eyes to the floor. ''I'm sorry.''

Evangeline took in a painful deep breath, shaking her head slightly. She re-entered the feast.