Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

29

Evangeline stayed out of sight for a couple of long, tiring days.

The rumors of their involvement still surged through the Kingdom like the plague. New, false
stories began to arise.

Though Evangeline had faith that the upcoming tournement would bring a new topic for gossip amongst the Camelot natives.

Merlin has been far too busy to visit Morgana and Evangeline as much as he would like.

Training is taking place on the training grounds even as I write.

Knights from other Kingdom's would soon arrive and it brought the memories of
Evangeline's brother's last battle to her wary mind.

She inhaled the warm spring breeze, letting out the breath she took in. Attempting to cope with those still fresh memories.

Evangeline opened the doors of her chambers, nearly stepping on a newly budding red rose.

She reluctantly picked it up, sighing sadly. She thought their strange infatuation were over.

Dropping it once again, she left.

As she walked down the corridor, the words of Arthur and herself's last conversation played through her head.

Evangeline most definitely didn't want someone else to have him and she didn't expect him to wait around too long.

A panicked feeling rising up inside of her, she hastened her pace, stopping at the edge of the training grounds, where Arthur shouted at the crestfallen knights.

She could hardly breathe and she began to panic. Why had she come here?

Just when her panic made her turn away, Arthur called out to her.

She cursed under her breath, turning to face him. She could not take a deep breath, for no breath seemed to be in her.

He dismissed the Knights, rushing to her. It was the first chance he had to see her since she stormed off a few days ago.

Reluctantly, she looked into his eyes, once he stood in front of her.

''Evangeline, I'm sorry about what happened. I shouldn't have been so selfish.''

Her expression was pained. She didn't want to be here, yet, at the same time, here was the only place she wanted to be.

''Arthur, I don't want you to find someone else.'' She said, peeking up at him.

''I know you didn't mean to hurt my brother and it's unfair of me to still be angry. I don't blame you. Matthew wouldn't have wanted me to.''

Arthur didn't know what to say, which was great. She didn't want him to speak just yet.

''I can understand if you've given up on me. Farewell, Arthur.''

She began to turn around, but he caught her wrist.

Evangeline was forced to face him and was met with a tight embrace.

She stiffened unintentionally.

''I couldn't.'' Was his breathless reply, his voice muffled by her shoulder.

A part of her wished he did give up on her. Though the other part of her was more than enthusiastic for his touch. His breath on her skin.

She fought back a shiver and patted his back.

When he didn't let go, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist, she wrapped her arms around his neck, at last easing up a bit.

Arthur was sure she could feel his heart beating, hear it even! He was far from letting go and his heart was beating so fast, he feared it would burst.

Slowly, she closed her eyes, her heart ripping apart her chest.

I let it fall, my heart, and as it fell you rose to claim it.