Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

30

''Okay, you can let go. Please, let go.'' Evangeline's arms fell to her sides, though Arthur still embraced her.

He reluctantly did as she wished, and dropped his arms, however, his heart's pace was far from dropping.

She felt strange. Being somewhat kind to Arthur Pendragon, though most of it had to be the effects of his embrace. Shivers, butterflies. Her heart was the worst. It seemed to be extremely happy about their current situation.

Evangeline's brain was reminding her of her brother. Of her sworn hatred for the man who killed him, the man standing in front of her.

She tried to smile up at him, but she couldn't form a proper smile. She looked sad.

Arthur bit his lip, glancing down. ''Evangeline, who put you up to this?''

He looked hurt and couldn't look away from the grassy terrean under them.

''Nobody.'' She answered honestly. She didn't like to see him hurt, as disappointed by this fact as she might be.

''Right.'' He scoffed quietly, running a hand through his hair. ''I should have know! You could never want me. I'm so stupid.''

Evangeline sighed. She had finally gotten the courage to tell him and he was doubtful.

Arthur took her exhausted sigh the wrong way. It seemed to have confirmed his suspicions.

''I knew it!'' His expression pained, he laughed a humorless laugh. ''How could I think it were possible? Naive!''

''Arthur...'' Evangeline began, but couldn't think of the right words to say.

''Why did you do this to me?'' He asked faintly. Sadness soaking every last word.

Evangeline was starting to get irritated, for more than one reason.

''Arthur, shut up. I didn't do anything. I was being sincere and I was about to kiss you.''

His pained rants gave her enough time to think over her decision and she just couldn't stand in front of him any longer.

As soon as those words left her lips, she walked away, away from the training ground where
Arthur stood, shocked and loathing himself for missing his chance.