Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

31

''You actually had a chance and you asked who put her up to it?'' Merlin asked incrediously, gathering the Prince's clothes from the floor, bed and anywhere else he managed to toss them.

Arthur solemnly stared out of the window of his chambers, silent.

Merlin bit his lip. ''Wow, she is never gonna come up with the courage and forgiveness to do that ever again.''

Arthur cast him a warning look, a look that clearly told Merlin to watch his mouth.

Merlin shrugged, as if asking what he said wrong.

''Well,'' Began the servant, as if he were never interrupted with such a glare, ''all these young, attractive and elegible Knights coming in... And Evangeline is quite beautiful, you know.''

''What are you saying, Merlin?'' Asking Arthur, in a slightly harsh tone.

Merlin rose his brows, answering, ''Well, I'm just saying, even Knight who are already here think highly of her, they don't percue her in respect to the rumors of you two. Do you think forgeign Knights are going to know those rumors or even care?''

Arthur thought for a moment. He thought of Knights oogling at her allure. He remembered how fond Evangeline is of Sir Leon.

He became immensely jealous of just those thoughts.

Merlin smirked in the corner, shaking his head.

Arthur shot out of his trance, hastly reaching the door and opening it (nearly ripping it from it's hinges in the process). He didn't even acknowledge Merlin's presence.

Arthur found himself at Evangeline's door, knocking not so softly, more urgent and desperate.

Evangeline quickly answered the door, thinking it was an emergancy.

Instead, there stood Arthur, an anxious expression painted on his fair features.

Rolling her eyes, she sighed. ''What do you want?''

''You know very well what I want. Or I should say 'who'.'' He ignored his hurriedly heart beats.

''Leave me alone, Arthur.''

He bit his lip, he went a little more mad every time she spoke his name. He loved his name coming from those lips.

''I'm sorry I doubted you. But can you blame me? You've shown me nothing but distaste from the moment I met you.''

''And that's all I will show you.'' Evangeline grabbed her door, preparing to shut it in his face.

But he caught it just in time.

''You always run away! Evangeline, please you just me talk to you.''

Arthur begged the last sentence, his eyes soft.

''I hate you. Remember that.'' Evangeline regretfully opened her door wider for him.

''You wont let me forget it.'' He stepped in, surprised she obliged.

''What do you want to say?''

Arthur sighed, wonder what to say first. ''A lot of things.''

He took her hands, pulling her closer gently.

Evangeline glared lightly, but didn't pull away.

She attempted to ignore the strange way his touch made her stomach flip and tried to contain the anger in her eyes.

''I was hoping you could give me another chance.''

Evangeline's bright green eyes softened ever so slightly, she looked down at the floor.

''We couldn't. I'm silver, you're gold! I'm darkness and you're light. We're too different.''

Arthur sighed. ''That is just an excuse to say no.''

''How could I discourage you?!'' She took her hands back. She had been harsh to him too many times for her to believe he wouldn't let her go.

''You can't. Please, stop trying.'' Arthur caught her hands again.

She glanced up into his baby blues. She would never get used to the way her body reacted when in such a situation.

He searched her eyes, he could see the weakness and the strength in them. They were conflicted and sad.

Arthur didn't know what had gotten into him as he leaned down. It was as if her eyes put him under a spell and he was compelled to kiss her.

Evangeline knew what was bound to happen if she didn't stop him, but she couldn't move, she couldn't look away from his eyes and she both loved and hated it.

She longed for his lips to touch hers, but at the same time, she dreaded that moment.

A second later and she couldn't stop him. She felt it impossible even when time was plenty.

His lips captivated hers, and he felt as though the world around them had stopped completely. His heart gave a speedy uproar and shivers raced his pulse.

With great surprise, he felt her kiss back. He wondered if he were dreaming. If he were, he thought to himself, he never wished to wake.

Evangeline slowly closed her eyes, her heartbeat paralyzing her ability to push him away.

She could swear that she could feel his pulse throbbing in his lips, but she thought solemnly, it were possible it were her heartbeats.

Her heart earned for more, but her mind worked tirelessly against it.

Evangeline remembered her situation, her brother's killer, her swore enemy, he was kissing her, and she was kissing back.

She felt sick.

Wondering what was wrong with her, she pushed at his chest, pushing him away.

''I'm sorry.'' He said quietly, biting his lip. Though he wasn't sorry at all.

She regretfully look back into his eyes, taking her hands back.

''Me too. I should have never let you in. Go!'' She harshly spoke, hating the moment she laid eyes on Arthur Pendragon.

Arthur sighed sadly, doing as she wished.

***

Later on, midday came rolling around and excited chattered filled the Kingdom.

They spoke of the arrival of the Knights competing in the tournament. Of how handsome Sir Alexandrus was and of his previous victory later last year.

One by one the Knights came riding in, the trumpets meeting them as they announced their arrival.

Evangeline hardly noticed much of this, for she was locked up in her chambers, deep in conflicted thoughts.

She wished she could go back, to when she had never heard of an Arthur Pendragon.

She hated that she kissed him back, that she let go even just a little.

Arthur too had not left his chambers, he simply stood there, absent-mindedly staring out of his window, his fingertips lightly touching his lips, the lips she kissed.

His heart was still drumming an impossible beat inside his chest and he wished it to never stop.

Just when he couldn't take it any longer, the silence that is, he determinedly marched out of his room. It was costiumary for the Prince to welcome noble-blooded visitors.

Evangeline wandered out of her chambers, too many thoughts in her head to think clearly.

She found Morgana, who was staring out of a window and looking quite dreamy.

Evangeline stood behind her, looking out of the window too.

She saw a fairly handsome man, he was not even near as handsome as Arthur. She shook that thought away, returning her attention to the dark haired man dismounting his horse.

She didn't see anything too special about him, but that was just her.

Morgana looked quite intrigued by this visitor and she was still unaware of Evangeline's identity.

Evangeline cleared her throat, resurecting Morgana from her dream.

''Oh, I'm sorry.'' Morgana smiled, looking at Evangeline now. ''Isn't he handsome?'' Morgana bit her lip, reattaching her eyes to the man in the town square.

''Not really.'' Evangeline shrugged.

Scoffing, Morgana shook her head, as if shaking the thought that someone didn't find him attractive.

''Who is it anyway?'' Evangeline asked, mainly because Morgana looked as though she wanted to speak more about him.

''Sir Alexandrus from King Olaf's Kingdom.'' Morgana attempted to restrain her giddiness, but failed miserably.

Evangeline laughed softly at this.

''Why don't you go and meet him?'' Evangeline asked.

''I don't want to seem eager. Besides, that wouldn't be very mysterious, would it?''

Evangeline laughed, shaking her head.

***

Evangeline found her way through many corridors, she was heading for her chambers and though she heard footsteps in front of her, she thought nothing of them, until she heard their voice.

''Evangeline! I've been searching for you.'' Arthur stopped in front of her.

''Well, maybe I was hiding from you.'' She crossed her arms over her chest, glaring up at him.

''Evangeline,'' He sighed, ''That kiss-...''

''Was a mistake.'' She cut him off. ''It meant nothing to me.'' Easily, she lied, not only to him, but to herself.

Arthur felt as though someone had punched him in the gut, and he couldn't restrained a hurt expression. ''Please, don't say that?''

''It's true.''

''You kissed back.'' Arthur spoke, a little hope still clinging.

Evangeline began walking. ''Leave me alone.'' She warned him.

But, since when does Arthur Pendragon ever listen to warnings?

He caught up with her not five paces later, still attempting to plead his case.