Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

32

The visiting Knights got themselves acquainted in the throneroom. Morgana and Evangeline were invited and expected to attend.

Most of the new-comers were quite eager to greet them when they reluctantly entered through the heavy wooden doors.

Somehow, they got separated and Evangeline found herself hiding in the corner. She wouldn't have choose this event to fill her night, but she had to come. Besides, Morgana would have begged her anyway.

A deep voice cleared their throat next to Evangeline and she jumped slightly.

When she turned, she was met by the darkest and soulful eyes she had ever seen.

''Yes?'' She asked kindly, recognizing this man to be the man Morgana was nearly drooling over at the window.

''I don't believe we've met. I would remember a face like yours.'' He smoothly spoke, bowing his head lightly. ''I am Sir Alexandrus.'' He introduced himself.

''And your name, my lady?'' He asked.

''Evangeline.'' She smiled faintly, though she didn't feel up to speaking at the moment.

''A lovely name for a lovely woman. Princess of Bernicia?'' Asked the Knight.

Evangeline nodded a 'yes'.

''I've heard much about you. Good things of course. I've heard of your beauty, but simply talk does not do you justice.''

She smiled lightly. ''You are too kind, Sir.''

''Please, call me Alexandrus.'' He politely said, smiling.

''Alexandrus.'' She corrected herself.

Arthur broke up their small talk, relentless feelings of jealousy burning in his stomach.

''Could I talk you, Evangeline?'' Arthur requested, ignoring Alexandrus' presence all together. He didn't like him, even if he has never spoke to him.

Evangeline accepted. She didn't fancy speaking right now, but at least she would be speaking to someone she knew fairly well.

She excused herself from Alexandrus, walking with Arthur out to the empty and quiet hall.

Evangeline turned to him, questioning him with her eyes alone.

''You're very cozy with Sir Alexandrus,'' He scoffed the name, ''aren't you?'' He asked, his jealousy bubbling over.

Crossing her arms over her chest, she glared up at him. ''What are you accusing me of?'' She asked.

''I don't trust him.'' Arthur said darkly, glaring at the door.

Evangeline laughed a short and humorless laugh. ''I don't care who you trust.''

Arthur sighed. ''Oh! But you care who he trusts, do you?''

''What are you talking about?'' Evangeline asked, confused by Arthur's strange behavior.

''I seen you! Smiling and getting acquainted with him!''

''I was just being polite!'' She glared, he was starting to anger her.

Arthur shook his head. ''You're never polite to me!''

''Oh, I'm terribly sorry, Sire! I shall kiss your feet at once!'' She sarcastically said, rolling her eyes.

''What is wrong with you?'' Evangeline asked of him.

Arthur huffed, stubbornly looking away from her. ''Nothing.'' He defensively said. ''I have the right to question his motives!''

''I could care less about his motives! I could care less about him!''

Arthur glanced at her. ''You mean... You don't find him intriguing and handsome?'' He asked.

Those words sounds oddly like Morgana's.

''Quite the contrary.'' She honestly said. ''Wait, were you... jealous?'' She asked.

Arthur glanced at the floor. ''Maybe...?''

Evangeline didn't realize the smile tugging on her full lips, but when she did, she quickly bit it back.

''Well, you don't need to be.'' She said softly, and upon noticing how softly, she added. ''I'm not yours to be jealous over!''

''Stop reminding me.'' Arthur sighed, though he couldn't shake away the softness in her previous words. And he felt a lovely and strange feeling overwhelm his stomach.

Evangeline rolled her eyes.

''I'm going back into a room I never wanted to step into to begin with, just to escape this conversation.''

''Well, that is what you do, isn't it? Run away.'' Arthur said. ''You just push people away. You push and you break them into little pieces, hoping they will understand that you don't care and probably never will.''

''When will you consider someone else's feelings? It's cowardly to run away, Evangeline.''

''I am considering your feelings! Why do you think I always so no? You don't want me, Arthur. Honestly.''

''You can't tell me who I want. I know who and it's you.''

Evangeline sighed. ''You know nothing about me!''

''I know enough to know I want to learn more.'' Arthur plead his case.

Evangeline rolled her eyes lightly, sighing. Thinking she didn't need to hear any of this, she began leaving, but Arthur wasn't done.

He stopped her and as he got near, she went further away. She unintentionally backed herself into a wall.

''When are you going to stop and face your fears?'' Arthur asked, giving her no way of escape.

All Evangeline could do was glare up at him. ''I'm not afraid of you!'' She defended herself earnestly.

''No. But you are afraid of letting go. You're afraid of opening up.''

''Don't tell me what I'm afraid of!'' She crossed her arms stubbornly over her chest.

''Evangeline, please? Just give me a chance.'' Arthur softly spoke, at last catching her gaze.

Evangeline sighed, to be honest, she was just so tired.

''I'm going to bed.'' She attempted to find a way around Arthur, but he seemed to be providing none.

''Arthur, please?'' She begged, a frown tugging on her lips.

He stepped aside, granting her wish. ''I'm walking with you then.''

''Fine.'' She began walking, she didn't mind if he came, as long as he were quiet.

They walked in silence, corridor through corridor, until they reached the door of her chambers. He took her hands, his main cause being that she couldn't disappear behind her door.

''Just give me one good reason why you don't want to be with me.'' Arthur softly asked, so soft, his words were hardly audible.

Evangeline sighed. She was just so tired. She was sick of refusing him. Sick of everything.
She was so exhausted. She felt so vulnerable.

Tears clouded her vision as she stared up into his eyes. She couldn't take it much longer.

Arthur frowned, his brows coming together in complexity. ''What's wrong?''

''I'm so tired.'' A tear fell down her cheek and she couldn't look at him. ''I don't want to hurt you anymore, but I can't stop.''

Her voice cracked slightly and a light sob escaped her lips. Evangeline hide her face in her hands as the tears fell.

Arthur pulled her closer, deeply saddened by this scene in front of him. He wrapped his arms around her, whether it was welcomed or not.

Surprisingly, she leaned into him, her cries sending daggers to his heart.

''I'm sorry.'' He held her securely in his arms, his voice low and soft.

Her cries were muffled by his chest and she couldn't stop herself from crying.

As she sobbed, he could only make out a few words. Such as, ''Stupid!'' ''Hate me!'' and ''Shut up!''

She was trying to stop herself, but it was no use. She didn't want Arthur seeing her cry, but here she was, sobbing uncontrollably.

All her suppressed guilt was pouring out at once.

Evangeline lightly and weakly hit his chest with her loosely clenched fist. She wished the sobs could have waited until her door was closed.

Arthur rest his head on her shoulder, a relentless frown tugging at the corner of his lips. He never would have asked that question, if he knew what sorrow it would bring her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jealous Arthur is too much fun to write. I love when they argue. I feel like he's finally standing up instead of being a pushover. Haha! I don't know why but when I write this story, this song comes to mind... Some song called Breakeven. Anyway, hope you guys like where the story is going. Feedback is always welcome.