Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

36

Arthur went through the motions of training practice, hardly registering that this would be their last and at noon this day, he would be in battle with an opponant he knew nothing about.

Merlin caught him blankly staring out of the window of his chambers that morning, dressed in the clothes he went to bed in, though that was hardly a surprise for Merlin.

''Arthur...'' Merlin sighed. He wanted to get him out of this mood, he would surely loss the tournament if he didn't soon.

Arthur did not respond to Merlin's voice, instead, he continued to stare.

Merlin frowned, leaving Arthur be, for the meantime anyway.

He knew what he had to do. He had to talk to Evangeline. Get her to see sense, though he wasn't preparing for it to be easy.

After a sigh, Merlin knocked on Evangeline's door.

That same door opened, revealing a rather sorrowful Evangeline.

''Yes, Merlin?'' She asked quietly.

Merlin bit his lip, wondering what to say. ''Arthur told me what happened.'' Was all he could think of.

''Oh.'' She glanced down.

Evangeline opened the door for Merlin, still avoiding his gaze.

''Evangeline...'' Merlin sighed, once he was inside of her room.

''No, Merlin. I know why you're here.'' Evangeline spoke, frowning lightly and shutting the door.

''Then you must know it's madness, what you're doing. I don't get you, Evangeline. Sometimes I think you want to be miserable.''

Evangeline clenched her jaw. ''I wouldn't expect you to understand, Merlin.''

''Then help me, Evangeline. Help me understand.'' Merlin pressed.

When she didn't say anything, Merlin spoke again.

''Arthur is soon to fight. And he can't even stop staring out of his window. Can you imagine what he is going to be like in the tournament? He'll be hurt, even killed, depending on who he's fighting against.''

''I know you care, Evangeline. You're just too stubborn to act.''

Evangeline looked up at Merlin. ''He killed my brother, Merlin.'' She reminded him.

''Yes, he did. And he regrets it deeply. You don't help either.'' Merlin told her, gaining an irritated expression from the raven haired beauty.

''Your brother was killed nearly a year ago.''

''Yes, I know that, Merlin. I can't forget it.'' Evangeline bit her lip, though her expression hard.

''I'm just saying, is it really that he killed your brother anymore? Or are you using that as an excuse to reject him because you're afraid of getting hurt?'' Merlin asked softly.

''Merlin! Would you forgive or befriend the man that killed your father?'' She asked back.

Hoping to change the subject.

''If he were truly remorseful for it... yes, I would.''

Evangeline scoffed.

''Listen, Evangeline. It's your choice to make, I'm just trying to help you make the good one.''

Merlin gave her one last reassuring and sympathetic look and left her alone with her thoughts.

Next, it was Morgana's turn. She knew she wouldn't get anywhere, but she had to try, for Arthur and for Evangeline's sake.

''Evangeline, I know. Okay? I know it's still hard for you. When my Father died... I was
heartbroken. I could hardly do anything without it reminding me of him.'' Morgana confessed,
taking a seat on the edge of Evangeline's bed.

Evangeline bit her lip, for that was just the way she felt when her beloved brother was killed.

She took a seat next to Morgana, resting her head on her shoulder.

''I'm scared, Morgana.''

Morgana patted her back gently, in assurance. ''I know.''

Evangeline sighed, closing her eyes briefly.

***

The horns signaled the beginning of the tournament, and peasants along with knights and ladies fled to the bleachers.

Happy and excited chatter filled the grounds and Merlin grew anxious for the Prince.

Morgana had at last convinced Evangeline to join the large crowd on the tournament bleachers, and they sat near the King.

The time keeper awaited the two Knights to stand face to face, before turning over the hourglass and beginning the competition.

After a few well-aimed blows, a Knight of Mercia was thrown down.

The next pair came into view and after them, the next.

Finally it was the Prince's turn and the crowd was more than excited for this. They rose from their seats, cheering with all their might.

Arthur frowned despite this as Merlin took his cloak and handed Arthur his sword.

Evangeline bit her lip, glancing down. It was the first time she had seen him since their sorrowful conversation.

As Arthur and his opponent had gotten into position, Evangeline caught Arthur's eye and his opponent took advantage of his distraction.

He swung hit Arthur in the head, knocking his helmet off. Arthur fell hard onto the sandy ground, scrambling to get up.

Evangeline gasp, biting her lip.

''I shouldn't be here, Morgana.'' She whispered to her friend, who could not hear her over the crowd.

Arthur avoided the blade successfully, and took a swing himself.

Anyone could tell you that the Prince was distracted. He wasn't fighting as well as he did usually.

The hourglass emptied just as Arthur threw down his opponent. The crowd erupted in cheer.

They rose from their seats, acting as if their Prince has won the entire competition.

Though that was not the case. The tournament would last for quite a while longer.

With their chests heaving, the two shook hands.

Gaius pulled away the most injured, who was the visiting Knight.

Arthur glanced in the direction Evangeline was in, but she was avoiding his eyes.

He sighed quietly, leaving the loud and large stadium-like section of the grounds.

With a few more Knights and rivals, the tournament ended for the day and Evangeline excused herself from Morgana, who was speaking to the King.

She sighed, walking back to the castle.

But she was stopped by a now familiar face.

''Princess.'' Sir Alexandrus smiled, bowing.

''Please, call me Evangeline.''

Arthur appeared, quite like he always did when Evangeline and Sir Alexandrus had a moment alone.

''Very casual, the two of you?'' He looked rather upset. Jealousy was the more dominant of
his emotions at that moment.

Sir Alexandrus, either being a simple-minded man, or out of pure smugness, nodded. ''I suppose we are.''

Evangeline bit her lip lightly, beginning to walk away.

''Don't leave!'' Arthur followed, he needed to say some things to her.

Evangeline sharply turned to face him. ''I'm sorry, Arthur, but I do not wish to speak to you.''

''For once just let me speak. Please?'' He asked, his voice kind.

She sighed quietly, crossing her arms over her chest.

''You're my heart.'' His hand over his chest, over his heart.

''Arthur...'' She interjected, over her heart's wild pace, telling herself that she didn't want to hear this.

He held up his hand. ''Wait, I have more to say.''

''I don't want you say anything, Arthur! It only makes it worse.'' She walked off briskly, frowning deeply and wishing she hadn't stopped to talk to him.

It was strange though, how she did not want to see him, yet at the same time the only person she wanted to see was him.

She sighed. Her life had become so complicated since she met Arthur Pendragon.