Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

37

Evangeline had been avoiding Arthur and Sir Alexandrus for three whole days, she was on a roll.

She didn't exactly know why she was avoiding Alexandrus, perhaps she just didn't feel like being polite.

Arthur had only a few minor injuries from his unsuccessful opponents, but he hardly noticed them.

He was far too heartbroken to register that he was in psychical pain.

Evangeline decided she shouldn't go to any upcoming tournaments, if Arthur was competing.

She walked down a stone-flagged corridor, attempting to keep Arthur out of her head.

''I haven't seen you around.'' Sir Alexandrus had caught her at last.

Evangeline suppressed a sigh and faked a polite smile. ''Hello, Sir Alexandrus. What brings you to this part of the castle?'' She asked.

''Simply wandering. It's lucky that I was.'' He smiled a charming smile.

''Lucky.'' Evangeline smiled back, but she just wanted to leave. She didn't feel like speaking to anyone.

''Well, I best keep going.'' She excused herself, walking around him.

''Where is it you're going? If you don't mind me asking.'' Alexandrus followed, completely clueless.

Evangeline took a breath, thinking that this boy was quite oblivious.

''The market.'' She answered. She and Morgana had quite a day planned.

It was mostly Morgana trying to get Evangeline out of the castle for awhile.

Sir Alexandrus nodded. ''Mind if I come along?''

''Sure.'' She sighed inaudibly, though the more she thought of it, the better it sounded.
Morgana and Sir Alexandrus had never met, and Morgana could hardly find anything else to say.

They walked all the way to the market and Morgana smiled at the sight of Evangeline, but
then Sir Aelxandrus came into view and she grew nervous.

''Sir Alexandrus, this is the King's ward, Morgana.'' Evangeline introduced, smiling at Sir
Alexandrus' awestricken expression as he gazed upon Morgana.

He cleared his throat, realizing he was simply staring silently. ''You are most beautiful, my lady.'' He smiled, blushing a light shade of pink.

Morgana's cheeks were a radiant red and she smiled up at him. ''Feeling confident about your next match?'' She asked, hiding her giddy nervousness very well.

Though Sir Alexandrus was having trouble doing the same. ''Oh,'' He had forgotten all about
the tournament since Evangeline introduced them. ''I think so. It all really depends on who
I'm up against.''

Evangeline inched away as they continued their conversations, faces pink and giddy laughter filling the air around them.

Evangeline found it rather... nauseating.

She didn't stray too far, but far enough.

''Princess!'' An aging jewelery seller called her over, smiling brightly as Evangeline met her by her jewelery stand.

''I've crafted a beautiful necklace just for you.'' The plump women shakily and excitedly reached below her stand, into a secret drawer.

She pulled out a wooden case and opened it for the Princess.

A polished and well cut emerald stone dangled from a thin gold chain. Evangeline loved it.

She smiled sweetly. ''It's beautiful.''

The jewelery seller was bright red and smiling like a fool. ''You really like it?'' She asked.

''I do.''

She handed it carefully to Evangeline, her hands shaky.

''You want me to put it on?'' Evangeline asked, taking it hesitantly.

The woman nodded vigorously, bubbling over with giddy laughter.

Evangeline smiled, trying to put it on herself and hold her hair over her head, but she was having difficulty.

She felt someone take the necklace from her gently, helping her put it on.

The jeweler's eyes widened slightly and puzzled Evangeline.

After they had clasped it on, the necklace fell into place over her sternum and she turned around to see who had helped her.

She sighed, glancing away.

She should have guessed it would be Arthur.

Evangeline turned away from him, to face the jeweler. She reached up to take off the necklace.

''Keep it, my lady!'' Smiled the women. ''I made it just for you.''

''Oh, thank you.'' She left 25 gold coins on her stand, waving goodbye and ignoring Arthur.

''Evangeline!'' Arthur followed, sighing quietly.

She didn't speak back, just kept walking.

''You can't keep doing this to me, Evangeline!'' Arthur blocked her way.

Evangeline glared up at him lightly. ''Why are you talking to me in the market?''

''I'm sorry you're ashamed of me.'' Arthur said, sadness and slight anger in his tone.

Evangeline rolled her eyes, sighing in frustration. ''I don't want to talk here.''

''Fine. We'll go somewhere else. But, I need to talk to you, Evangeline.'' Arthur's eyes were soft with sorrow and a frown tugged on his lips.

Evangeline was so desperate to leave the public eye, that she accepted.

They found an empty place, hidden from passersby.

''What do you want?'' Evangeline asked, already regretting her decision to speak to him.

''Why can't you fathom the thought of being with me?'' Arthur asked, his expression hurt.

Evangeline sighed, she didn't want to talk about it, least of all to him.

''Why can't you find someone else?'' She asked back, wishing she hadn't come. She would
never admit it, but if he did find someone else, she was be rather devastated.

Arthur shook his head.''Don't you understand? To me, there is no one else.'' His voice softened at this last sentence.

Evangeline glanced away, wishing away her hearts rapid drumming.

''Why would you want such a heavy heart?'' She asked, glancing back up at him.

''I hope to make your heavy heart weightless.'' He took her hands in his, dreading the moment she would push him away.

She tried to breathe over her heart's ruthlessly beating and shiver after pleasant shiver climbed merrily up her spine.

He deserved much better than her, she thought.

But she found herself leaning toward him, his lips in particular.

Arthur wouldn't have heard a dragon vandalizing the village, what with his pulse drumming loudly in his ears.

''No.'' Evangeline shook his head, glancing down. She didn't know what had gotten into her.

Taking back her hands, she inwardly scolded herself.

Evangeline left as fast as her feet would carry her, leaving Arthur frozen in sorrow and disappointment.

When Evangeline found Morgana she was as pink faced as ever and biting her lip.

''Where did Sir Alexandrus go?'' Evangeline asked, hoping to appear normal, at least on the
outside.

''He had practice. His friends had to nearly pull him away.'' She laughed lightly, blushing ever more.

''I don't know why you didn't just talk to him the night he came.'' Evangeline shrugged.

''The same reason you refuse to speak to Arthur. Fear.'' Morgana smirked lightly.

''I am not afraid!'' Evangeline defensively declared, glaring softly at Morgana.

''Then what, Evangeline? I know you like him, you can't hide it. If he likes you and you, him, then why not be together?'' Morgana rose a brow, questioning her best friend.

''I don't like him.'' Evangeline said, being fairly dishonest.

''Listen, Evangeline, I know you're a strong person, but loving someone doesn't make you any less lion-hearted.''

''Love?'' Evangeline asked incrediously. ''I do not love him. One of the only people I've ever loved is dead, all because of him.''

''Arthur is nothing but apologetic, ask him any day. He is terribly sorry. He was young and foolish! But, he is so sweet to you, Evangeline. You don't think this is hard on him too?''

Evangeline glared at the ground, not saying anything.

Morgana sighed, knowing she wasn't going to get anything else in. Evangeline was the most stubborn person she had ever known.

* * *

Despite Arthur's sadness, he was also happy.

Evangeline had almost kissed him, all on her own. The thought was her's. That gave him hope and the strength to keep fighting.