Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

38

Arthur glanced out of his chamber window as Merlin strapped on his armour for the tournament.

He spotted Evangeline walking with Sir Alexandrus and took a deep breath. What is his fascination with her? He thought enviously, glaring down at the Knight.

''Are you nervous?'' Merlin interrupted his angry mental rant.

''No, Merlin. I told you, I don't get nervous.''

Merlin smirked lightly, fastening the Princes' steel cuffs.

He then handed him his helmet and sword and smiled brightly at his success.

Arthur gave him a funny look, not daring to ask what he was grinning about.

He and his servant left his chambers, walking down to the crowded tournament grounds.

Cheers deafened the Prince as he appeared, putting his helmet on and getting into position.

His opponent, Sir Orion. A Knight of King Olaf.

''Come on, Evangeline! Sir Alexandrus wanted you to see him fight Sir Freddrik.''

Morgana dragged Evangeline to the stands, smiling brightly as Evangeline reluctantly surrendered.

The battle was brutal. Sir Alexandrus and Sir Freddrik were both very good. And it seemed to last for quite a while.

But, at last Alexandrus got the better of Sir Freddrik and finally their battle was over.

Next was Arthur and an extremely large Knight.

Evangeline bit her lip, slightly worried, but she remembered what her brother had told her, 'the bigger, the slower.'

Arthur took quite a blow to the left shoulder, but he swung with all his strength and disarmed the large Knight, he then knocked him out with his own shield.

He had won. And the crowd was cheering so loudly, Evangeline thought for sure she would go deaf.

Though, the crowd cheered on and Evangeline could tell Arthur was in pain. But, who wouldn't be?

Gaius took him into his tent off to the side, to treat his wound.

''You should go see if he is alright.'' Morgana suggested, the crowd at last quieting down.

''Why don't you?'' Evangeline questioned, raising a dark brow.

''He would be much more happy to see you. Go on. Cheer him up. It isn't easy for him either.''

Evangeline sighed, she did want to see if he was alright...

''Fine.'' She attempted to sound exasperated.

She made her way through the crowd as they watched the next battle, walking to his tent.

She stopped abruptly, suddenly nervous. Biting her lip, wondering if she should go inside.

Evangeline slowly stepped in, seeing Gaius treating a shirtless Arthur.

She felt her cheeks go pink, and glanced down. She decided to change her mind and turned
to leave. But it was too late, Arthur had seen her.

''Evangeline!'' He greeted, extremely surprised.

She turned to face him, willing her cheeks to remain as pale as the rest of her.

''Morgana wanted me to see if you were alright.'' She explained.

Gaius spoke then. ''Evangeline, would you mind finishing this? I must treat Sir Augustus' head wound before he wakes.''

He then left, without giving Evangeline the chance to answer.

She watched him go, reluctantly turning back to Arthur. ''Um...'' Was all she could say.

Evangeline slowly approached Arthur, taking up the clean bandage Gaius clearly meant for
her to packed up Arthur's wound with.

She didn't look up at him. ''This might sting.'' She warned, before dabbing honey on his wound.

Evangeline tried not to look anywhere but his wound, but it was difficult.

She picked up the bandage, planning to wrap it under his right arm and over his shoulder, but she remembered she would have to lean over him and her dress was pretty low cut. He might see something.

''Um...'' She thought, biting her lip as she looked down at the bandage.

''Arthur?'' She asked quietly.

Arthur made a funny noise between a 'yeah' and 'yes'. His voice breathless.

''I need you to close your eyes.'' She said, glancing up at him at last.

''... Okay.'' He then closed his eyes, slightly confused.

Evangeline, still feeling unsure, gently started to wrap the bandage under his arm, on his ribcage and around to his left shoulder.

Once she had finished, she ceased to touch him immediately. ''Okay.'' She stepped back.

Arthur opened his eyes. ''That's it?'' He asked, wishing it would have took longer, even if it hurt a little.

''Yes. And know that you're okay, I have to go.''

''But I'm not okay.'' Arthur stood, hoping to stall her for even just a little while.

''Well, I'm sorry, but I don't believe I am qualified to treat you mentally.'' Evangeline went back to her old ways. Insults.

Arthur smiled lightly. ''Your love could cure any madness.''

Evangeline sighed, rolling her eyes despite her true feelings. She began to leave, but Arthur stopped her.

''I see the way you look at me, Evangeline. At last, I do. And it only makes me wish for you even more.''

''Keep wishing.'' She tried to say with venom and only succeed a little.

''Oh, I will. Because you're never going to admit that I'm not so bad.''

Evangeline light glared up at him. ''You're not so bad. There, I said it. You still don't 'have' me.'' She spun on her heel, but Arthur gently caught her wrist.

He spun her around to face him. ''Come on, Evangeline. I will wait forever for you, but I hope
you don't make me.''

''Sorry to disappoint you.'' She took her arm back.

''I don't think you can disappoint me.'' He said softly.

Evangeline scoffed. ''I'm sure I could find a way.''

''What do I have to do? What can I do?'' Arthur asked, an edge of desperation in his voice.

''I told you, Arthur. There are things about me that I don't think you will understand.'' She said.

''Try me.'' Arthur pushed.

''I don't trust you enough!'' She sighed, irritated and longing to be anywhere but where she was.

''Heaven help me, but I wouldn't feel comfortable having my life in your hands.'' She had said too much, in her opinion, but in Arthur's, she never said enough.

She left him there in the tent, quite like she always did.