Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

46

After a few long days had passed, talk of the invasion had died down to a bare minimum of a mere memory.

Though, in Evangeline's mind, it was still fresh.

She was just waiting for Uther's men to burst through those tall gates and take her away. To be dealt with as he had done to her fellow sorcerers and sorceresses.

She would gaze anxious out her own contantly locked window and bit her lip. Thinking, in just a moment they would plow through the soldiers on the boarder.

But, more than that, she feared Arthur's reaction.

Would he tell his Father?

Could he possibly still love her after this knowledge?

Evangeline barely wandered anymore, and when she did, she would find herself crying silently as thoughts of his rejection and possible anger toward her and her magic played through her mind.

''Evangeline, my sweet,'' Her Father spoke sadly, approaching his sorrowful daughter. He had been watching her of late and she was simply beyond heavyhearted.

''You seem so distressed.'' He frowned, taking her soft warm hand in his. His large and slightly rough hands holding her small fragile hand reminded him of her when she was young, and how happy she was.

It only saddened him more to realize she is no longer so. She hasn't been happy for a while now.

''What can I do? Do you miss your friends in Camelot? The servant boy?'' He asked of her, hoping to cure her hopeless case of blues.

''Of course I do, Father. But I can't go back.'' Evangeline's tone of voice cracked with the panicking thoughts of returning to Camelot. Of facing Arthur.

''Why not?'' The King asked of his Princess. ''What happened?'' He was worried for her and wished to see her happy once again.

''Nothing.'' She shook her head, her lie still lingering in the air. ''I just don't want to leave you again, Father.'' She squeezed his hand gently, that part was true.

He kissed her long locks of raven hair, and smiled. His eyes even smiling down at her.

And she couldn't restrain the persistent tug at her full lips, she smiled as well.

''Come. We should do something together.'' He told her, his spirits lifted by the mere trace of her smile.

''But, you have counsel today...''

He waved a hand in a dismissive manner. ''Forget counsel. You're far more important to me.''

Evangeline smiled lightly, her heavy heart losing it's weight.

Arthur didn't know what he should do. He simply sat at his desk all day, biting his lip and his eyes in a faraway place.

Merlin picked up Arthur's clothes, which was spread all around the stoneflag floor.

'Merlin...'' Arthur spoke for the first time that day. His voice was rough from being silent so long.

Merlin looked up, surprised to hear his voice. He had been acting strange ever since they left Bernicia some three days ago.

He and Morgana had attempted to ask what happened, but he refused to say.

''... How should I contact Evangeline...?'' He asked, he thought of going back, but it was too risky.

''Um, why don't you write her a letter?'' Merlin suggested, Morgana had written one already and it was on it's way to Evangeline as he spoke.

''What would I say?'' Arthur asked, not looking at Merlin.

''Write what's inside, Arthur.'' Merlin said.

''Feelings...?'' Arthur asked, biting his lip. He wasn't very good with voicing those.

''Yes, Arthur, what you feel.'' Merlin tried to hide his smile. ''It might help if you tell me what you feel. That way, I can help you.'' Merlin suggested.

Arthur glanced up at Merlin, reluctant.

''Come on.'' Merlin encouraged. ''Why cant you just say what you feel?''

''Because she rejects me every time I do, Merlin!'' Arthur sighed. ''Every time I pull her close, she pushes me away. It makes it hard for me to say what I feel, because I know she's just going to deny it and run away.''

Merlin was silent for a moment. He didn't think Arthur would like him to say anything.

''Do you think she will ever come back?'' Arthur asked quietly, his voice barely audible.

''I don't know.'' Merlin sighed. ''She's very stubborn.''

''Yes...'' Arthur frowned.

Evangeline and her Father, the King, spent the entire day with one another, something they haven't done in quite a while.

They went hunting in the forest that divided Bernicia and Camelot, Evangeline successfully got one deer and two rabbits.

She was always good at it. Her and her beloved brother, Matthew would hunt together all the time.

And those memories haunted her. She hoped she hide it well from her Father. He was, after all, trying to cheer her up.

Odin then took his daughter horse riding, where she raced him to the river and won.

She had forgotten her troubles for the time being, her Father successful in making her happy once more.

''Evangeline Ethelwulf! Where have you been?'' Her maidservant, Beatrice asked. ''You had me worried sick!''

Beatrice was like a Mother to her, though she could never replace her real, beloved Mother, Duciana, Queen of Bernicia.

''Father and I went hunting.'' She smiled lightly, closing her bedroom door behind her. Beatrice's sudden outburst had frightened her to a stand-still.

Beatrice couldn't restrain a smile, even if her worry still lingered. ''Well, that is good.''

Evangeline nodded in agreement, opening her window for the first time in a far few days and sitting on the windowsill.

''I had fun.'' She pressed a ripe and luscious red apple to her smiling lips, feeling happy after being so sorrowful for so long.

''That is a good thing to hear, indeed.'' Smiled Beatrice, happy to see her spirits lifted.

Though her blues were carried back by a peasant man, holding a letter.

Evangeline, slightly confused, slowly took it, opening it to read:

Dear Evangeline,

No matter what I saw, I still love you. Please meet me in the Darkling wood when the sun sets? I will wait for you however long.

-Arthur

Arthur had finally put all the missing pieces together. Her creptic dislike towards his Father. How
hurt she was when he introduced the assumption that all magically beings were evil or dangerous.

Because she was one herself.

Arthur wished for nothing more than to see her, to speak with her about this, face to face.

Evangeline hastily hid the letter in her chambers, biting her full lower lip in conflicted thoughts.

Should she met him? Or is it just some sort of trap?

It hurt her to think, but anything was possible.

The rest of the evening, Evangeline paced her chambers, nibbling on her lip.

But, as the sun had began hiding behind the tall trees surrounding Bernicia, Evangeline knew at once.

She took up her dark velvet cloak and pulled the hood over her raven locks, and ivory skin.

She was still rather reluctant and very cautious, she did not let her guard down once as she walked through the trees.

And when a sleep deprived Arthur came into view, she still did not feel at ease.

''If this is a trap, I will not be lead away willingly.'' She warned, before Arthur had even realized she was there.

''You came!'' He smiled brightly, but his smile fell when her words had registered with him.

''You really think I would do that?'' He asked, completely bewildered at the slightest suggestion.

''I've seen what fear and a lack of understanding can do to a man.'' Evangeline's law clenched and she glanced around sharply.

Arthur frowned, but his tone was fierce and sincere as he spoke, ''Not this man.''

''What do you want from me?'' Evangeline sighed, regretfully glancing up at him. ''I would think you were done by now. The mystery is discovered. The chase is over.''

''You speak as though my love is just a cheap trick. A passing cloud in the sky.'' Arthur frowned.

''Arthur, why have you asked me to come?'' Evangeline asked, sighing.

''Because I wanted to see you. Hear your voice. I want to understand.'' Arthur told her, closing the large gap between them, though she only stepped away.

''Understand what? It isn't hard to comprehend.'' She said, ''I am a witch.'' Evangeline shrugged.

''We could never be. And that is only one of the reasons.''

Arthur bit his lip. ''I know my Father has made mistakes, trust me, I know I have too.''

''Like what?'' She asked, fearing his reply. ''More murder?''

Arthur glanced downward. ''I've made a lot of mistakes, I know this. There are a lot of things I wish I could take back.''

Evangeline scoffed, afraid of what he meant. ''I know firsthand the consequences of war. War makes monsters of us all. The Great Purge was the worst of them, and your Father lead us to it.

How can I be with someone whose Father is Uther Pendragon?''

Arthur ran a hand through his hair. ''You must understand that I am not my Father. I would never...''

''I can't be with you. I just can't. If anyone found out about my magic...'' She shook her head, her voice breaking as thoughts of her capture ran through her head. Trapped in an iron cage, like an animal.

Arthur unexpectedly took her in his arms, wrapping her securely against his chest.

''Then I would fight for you until the end.'' Arthur finished her sentence for her. ''I would never let anything bad happen to you.'' He promised.

''Do you swear?'' She mumbled against his chest, his heart beat racing under her lips.

''I swear. With everything I am and everything I have.'' He gently squeezed her, in a sweet reassuring manner.

''I never asked to have magic, you know.'' She said quietly, after a short while, they were now sitting on the leaves blanketing the forest floor.

''It's just, one day, I set my Father's cloak on fire with my eyes. I was only a small child. Matthew thought it was brilliant...'' She smiled sadly, avoiding Arthur's gaze.

''And then I tried to warn you about the Fyr Deor, I knew, because I seen it in a dream the night before.''

Arthur was silent with astonishment. From what she spoke, magic was beautiful. ''Wow....'' He breathed, though he wasn't sure what else to say.

He wasn't sure what had possessed his Father to destroying even wonderful, kind witches or warlocks, like Evangeline.

Arthur's acceptance had opened up her heart a small fraction and she allowed herself to enjoy his presence.

She felt like maybe, he did truly love her...