Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

49

Arthur sighed, shaking his head. ''I can't.''

Evangeline wished she didn't feel so relieved when he admitted such a thing, but nevertheless, she was.

She bit her plump and pink lower lip, watching the still surface of her bed, simply to avoid his eyes.

Arthur suddenly took a deep breath and faced her, though she was avoiding his gaze with determination.

He was desperate. He didn't want to leave here feeling more sad and confused as before.

Arthur lifted her chin gently, desperate to see her eyes, to understand.

But soon that was not all that he felt he wanted to do, his lips longed for the feel of her own and he resisted the urge to kiss those full, beautiful lips.

No logical thought could enter his brain now and he unintentionally leaned closer, his eyes closed.

Her eyes seemed to enchant him every time he would gaze into them.

Arthur couldn't stop himself from softly kissing her surprised lips, but Evangeline didn't exactly push him away.

His kiss was heartbreaking, soft and slow, and it was almost too much. There were too many emotions in the way he kissed her.

Evangeline's heart seemed to have lost its rhythm, and it's beats were strange and quick.

''Arthur, don't...'' Evangeline softly pushed at his chest, frowning down at her bed with her swollen lips.

''I'm sorry... I-I don't know what came over me.'' Arthur shakily touched his pulsing lips with his fingertips, saddened by the reminder of her rejection.

Evangeline bit her tingling lower lip and shook her head. ''You should go...''

''If you wish.'' Arthur frowned, but he made no move to actually leave. He couldn't go.

His bright blue eyes suddenly shimmered with tears that wouldn't fall, and he tried not to let
Evangeline see, but, atlas, his attempts were useless.

Evangeline felt her heart break once again and felt a strong self-loathing wash over her.

''Don't make me cry...'' She said ever so softly, a frown tugging at her lips mercilessly as she looked over at Arthur in the blue moonlight.

''I'm sorry.'' Arthur sniffled, but his tears still blinded him.

Evangeline wrapped her arms around his shoulders in a comforting sideways embrace. That was all she could do.

And it was all he needed.

He pulled her closer by the small of her back and tightly held her around her waist.

Evangeline wished she could take his pain away, by any means. But she didn't think he would appreciate her using magic on him.

She hesitantly rest her cheek on his shoulder, afraid he would take this consoling embrace the wrong way.

Evangeline could hear his quick pulse and frowned at the sound of his heart's rapid beats.

They sat there, just like that for some time. And when her touch cured him of his blinding tears, she pulled away, though his hold on her was reluctant to loosen.

She smiled lightly, to reassure him, but it falter near the end, and it wasn'treallya smile.

''I don't want to loss you...'' Arthur whispered, a lump in his throat at the simple thought.

''If you really knew me, Arthur, you would have never wanted me to begin with.'' Evangeline loathed herself. She was selfish, and cruel.

''Nonsense.'' Arthur disagreed, shaking his head. ''You're wonderful, beautiful and kind and I love you.''

Inspite of herself, Evangeline felt her heart leap from her chest, but said simply, ''Love is blind.''
Arthur frowned, she was so very stubborn.

''Arthur...'' Evangeline took a small breath, ''would you like for me to help you forget?'' She asked, peeking up at him reluctantly.

On the one hand, he would be happy again, and on the other, he wouldn't remember his love for her...

''What do you mean?'' Arthur asked, looking slightly perplexed, then his expression changed as realization took hold.

''Never! No,no, no...'' He shook his head. ''I don't want to forget the most wonderful feelings I've ever had.''

''For now.'' Evangeline said, sorrow tugging at her heart.

Arthur sighed in frustration. She was determined to think he could find someone better. He knew that was impossible. She was the only one.

''No. Not 'for now'. Forever.'' He said, his tone stern, but sad. He wished she would accept it.

Evangeline, who had only just realized they were still sitting on her bed, shuffled uncomfortably.

Those words did strange things to her, indeed. But, not only the words alone, but also his tone as he said them.

''Arthur...'' She frowned at the chills that rose on her fair skin when she spoke his name, sighing lightly. ''I think it's time you go... It's very late and I'm hardly in appropriate clothing...''

Arthur blushed softly, but thankfully, for the sake of his feeble heart, she was covered very well.

''I-I'm sorry...'' He stammered, avoiding her direction.

Evangeline rose a brow, perplexed by his sudden change in attitude, though she said nothing of it.

Her long, thin nightgown was transparent on the legs and arms, and the fabric was soft and ghostly white. The chest was very low cut, aside from that, it successfully covered her breasts with a slightly thicker layer of white.

After a moment of Arthur recovering himself, and the natural shade of his cheeks, he asked, ''Will you write to me?''

Evangeline bit her lip. ''Why would I do that? There is nothing here, Arthur. Not even friendship.''

Arthur sustained that blow, but his sorrow was abundant in his heart. ''Oh...'' His voice was soft with sadness, and it broke her heart. He sounded so disappointed. Like a child with whom was refused presents and treats.

Evangeline wanted to embrace him, to comfort him. To tell him that she is sorry, and she meant nothing she had said, alas, she could not.