Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

55

Evangeline laughed lightly, thoroughly amused.

But when neither of the two laughed along, she grew very serious and very afraid.

Sir Derrick looked disheartened by this, as any would. And her father frowned lightly.

''You can't be serious? But I-... Father! Can I speak to you alone?'' Her dazzling green eyes were slightly wide as this news came to her attention, and she plead inwardly with her father.

Odin nodded to Sir Derrick, who exited the room, his shoulders slumped.

''I'm sorry, father, but no. Not now, nor ever!'' Evangeline told her father, her voice rising in slight alarm.

''I'm not forcing you, Evangeline.'' He assured her, he knew that he couldn't even if he tried, she was far too strong-minded. ''But I do ask that you think about it.'' He requested.

Evangeline frowned. ''But, father, I don't need to. I already know. Never.''

''Humor him. It was difficult to bring up the courage to ask.''

Evangeline's spirits were deeply dampened but the time she mad it back to her chambers, and Beatrice, her handmaiden noticed.

''What's troubling you, my dear?'' She asked, looking concerned as she stopped gathering Evangeline's askew clothing from the stone floor of her chambers, to give Evangeline her full attention.

Evangeline took in a deep breath and said, ''Sir Derrick asked my hand in marriage.'' She tried to say with less disgust than she felt.

She had never thought of him in that way. He was usually just around, following Matthew and herself around like a lost dog.

But the two never needed him, or anyone, for that matter. Just the two of them and they were content.

Beatrice wished she could have been more supportive, but she was always honest and her honesty caused her to say what she thought, ''You can do much better.''

Evangeline smiled lightly. ''Thank you, Beatrice.''

''I told father no, but he asked only that I thought about it for a day or so.'' Evangeline sighed, sitting on the edge of her bed.

''Well, Angel, you're the one who is going to have to live every day with him, if you wish to marry. So it is entirely your decision.'' Beatrice took a seat next to her.

That night Evangeline did not sleep easy. Even though she knew she could never marry Sir Derrick, she did not wish to hurt him.

As she lay awake, she heard the creak of her door open, and in the darkness, she glanced toward it.

Evangeline kept very quiet under her silk burgundy sheets and watched for shadows.

She did not want to assure herself it be Beatrice and it not be and she be caught unprepared, so alert she stayed as she peered into the darkness.

Suddenly and swiftly, the shadow moved and she felt someone grab her, and cover her mouth.

Evangeline tried to scream, but it was muffled by the intruder's hand.

''I knew when you laughed, that I had to take matters into my own hands.'' She recognized the voice to be that of Sir Derrick.