Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

56

''All those years I loved you and you never gave me the time of day.'' Sir Derrick bitterly began, finally to the breaking point.

He was once so kind and quiet, but the constant rejection and ignorance from Evangeline drove him to the border of madness.

Evangeline wasn't afraid. She was angry and slightly disappointed.

She knew she had to do something, so, swiftly she took the arm that covered her mouth and twisted it behind his back before he could go on.

He groaned in pain, louder than he would have wished.

''Touch me again, and I will dissect you.'' Evangeline warned, pushing him away with his own injured arm.

Without an incantation, she used her magic to light the room, encase he might try something, she would be able to see better.

Sir Derrick, who knew not of her magic, grew frightened by the sudden light and ran for the door, but Evangeline wasn't finished.

''Behaepse faest!'' The door swung closed and locked at her command.

Sir Derrick turned to face her, all his knightly skills demolishing under her harsh gaze.

''If you thought I would marry you after your attempt to intimidate me, you are delusional. Threaten me again and I can assure you it will be the last thing you do.'' Evangeline warned him, all seriousness in her deadly calm tone.

''Weorp untoworpenlic!'' Chains wrapped themselves around his chest, constricting his air slightly.

''Guards!'' Evangeline shouted, unlocking the door and swinging it open with a simple spell.

They rushed in at once, and did not question her command to take one of their fellow men to the dungeons in the chains her magic created.

King Odin was not pleased. His own Knight, threatening his daughter, the princess. He could and would not have it. At noon the next day he planned to execute him, as an example to all that he tolerated no attack, verbal or psychical on his daughter.

Meanwhile, in Camelot, the prince was much worse off than usual. Evangeline and himself didn't leave in best of terms, and he wished to make it right.

Evangeline sat in her chamber window, sighing lightly as she looked over the trees of the Darkling Wood at the very top towers of Camelot.

She would hate to admit it, especially to herself, but she missed Arthur. But there was also someone else she missed: Morgana.

Quickly, she scrambled around for a piece of parchment and a quill and wrote a letter to her dear friend, whom she hadn't seen for too long.

My dearest, Morgana,

I find myself missing you more with each day that passes. I do hope things are well between Sir Alexandrus and yourself. But judging by the nervous, blushing mess I last seen him in, he is still tightly wrapped around your finger. I'm terribly sorry our plans to visit one another in person haven't been granted, but know that my Kingdom is open to you at all times.

With love, Evangeline

And she sent it on its way to Morgana in Camelot.

Though needless to say, Morgana was very happy to receive the short and sweetly worded letter and decided at once, she could not wait.

At dinner in the throne room, Morgana cleared her throat and determinedly looked over at Uther, who quietly ate.

''Evangeline had suggested I go to Bernicia, to visit her. I want to go tomorrow.'' She told Uther, hoping he would allow it, but, he was always protective over her.

Arthur, who had previously been distractedly pushing around the meal the maids had cooked, was now fully alert at the mention of her name, his heart raced in is chest.

''Are you forgetting Odin is an enemy of Camelot? He proved that when he tried to kill Arthur.''

''He's a broken man. Suffering the loss of his son.'' Morgana defended, sighing lightly.

Uther took a drink of wine from his goblet, then said, ''That doesn't change anything.''

''But, Father! Perhaps the relationship between Morgana and Evangeline could mark the beginning of a peace treaty.'' Arthur spoke at last, and merely speaking her name caused his heart to race.

Uther considered his for a while, as Morgana gave Arthur a grateful smile. Even if Uther said no, she was happy he had tried to help.

''Yes, I suppose you are right, Arthur. But I'm sending one of my Knights with you. Just encase.''

Morgana knew she could take care of herself, and was very much opposed to being watched and babysat by one of Uther's Knights, until she learned who it would be going with her.

And Uther, not knowing of Sir Alexandrus and Morgana's attraction, assigned him.

Morgana returned to her chambers after dinner, happy and well-fed.

My darling friend, Evangeline,

Uther has granted me permission to cross over into Bernicia. If it's still okay, I wish to visit you. Uther has also decided he should send a Knight with me, because of the unstable relationship between Camelot and Bernicia. But he unknowingly sent Sir Alexandrus. If he knew about our involvement! I dare say he would send someone else.

Your loving friend, Morgana

The next morning, Evangeline got Morgana's letter and smiled brightly at the news of her dear friend coming to see her.

She rushed to tell her father, who then told the guards patrolling the border.

After guaranteeing Morgana and Sir Alexandrus' safe passage, she summoned a crow and tied a small note reading, ''I can not wait to see you!'' written in black ink.

Soon Morgana would be here, and that would effectively take her mind off of things she would rather not dwell on.

Though she should have known Morgana would not let her escape her thoughts of Arthur as quickly as she wished.