Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

57

The trumpets sound as Morgana and Sir Alexandrus rode through the large gate, catching the eye of nearly all those who dwell in Bernicia.

Evangeline quickly descended the stairwell leading into the castle, outside the town square, while her father and his Knights stood in the square, greeting them.

Morgana embraced Evangeline almost as soon as she dismounted the pale gray horse, with the chivalrous, but unnecessary help of Sir Alexandrus, of course.

''I have missed you so! And father is happy to finally be meeting you.'' Evangeline smiled, squeezing Morgana's hand lightly and leading her over to where the King came to greet them.

''Lady Morgana!'' King Odin bowed his head lightly, a small and kind smile tugging at his battle-scarred face.

Morgana smiled back, addressing him with a small curtsy.

''Oh, and father,'' Evangeline took Sir Alexandrus' hand and pulled him gently from his hiding spot near the horses. He was quite shy. ''this is Sir Alexandrus. He used to be a Knight for Lord Bayard of Mercia.''

Odin bowed his head slightly, a bit put off by his scarlet cloak and golden dragon insignia, though he remained kind, for his daughters sake.

After the formal greeting in the square, the small party went into the castle for the dinner the cooks so graciously prepared.

''It's delicious. Thank you, Sire.'' Morgana smiled sweetly, charming a genuine smile on the kings face.

Evangeline smirked covertly to Morgana, happy she was able to gain her fathers impossible approval.

Morgana reminded herself not to mention Arthur in the presence of Odin, but she planned to speak to Evangeline later, whether she welcomed the talk or not.

Evangeline took Morgana to her chambers, while Sir Alexandrus took Morgana's things to her own temporary room nearby.

''Evangeline...'' Morgana took a small breath, biting her lip as she reluctantly brought up the subject of Arthur Pendragon.

''Yes, Morgana?'' Evangeline asked, shutting her door. A small part of her knew what she was about to say.

''Arthur is very quiet these days...'' She was interrupted by Evangeline's long irritated sigh, but kept at it.

''He doesn't have that spark in his eyes much anymore...'' Morgana frowned as she was cut off, once again, by Evangeline and her defensive nature.

''Oh, and I suppose you think that's my fault, do you?''

It was Morgana's turn to sigh in irritation now. ''No, Evangeline. But you're the only person that can bring it back.''

Evangeline glanced at Morgana and behind that tough exterior, Morgana could see sadness and insecurities.

She found it hard to understand her dear friend, but she sympathized.

''Morgana, I don't know why I have to keep seeing him and talking to him. There is nothing and there never will be anything. You and Merlin encouraging me is only setting him up for further pain.''

Morgana sighed. At times it was difficult to sympathize with Evangeline.

''Evangeline! I know it's hard for you to love again. After your brother, I understand-''

Evangeline scoffed. ''Love? I did love my brother, I still do. But Arthur? I have never loved.'' She defensively clarified.

''-But you can't be so cruel. To Arthur, and most of all, to yourself.'' Morgana ignored Evangeline this time, despite her disappointment over Evangeline's extreme case of denial.

''Morgana,'' She sighed, calming herself down with much difficulty, ''I don't want to talk about him anymore. I haven't seen you for months, I want to talk about you and how your life has been in my absence.''

Morgana let it go, but only for the meantime.

''Well, not much, really.'' Morgana thought hard, and found not much has happened since Evangeline left.

Evangeline sighed lightly, happy to be off the subject of Arthur and smiled a small smile.

A small, quiet knock on the door interrupted and Evangeline rushed to answer it.

It was Sir Alexandrus, who greeted her with a smile. ''The Lady Morgana's things are in her chambers.'' He informed.

''Okay. Thank you.'' Morgana smiled politely when Evangeline opened her door wider for him.

He blushed, bowed and stumbled down the hall.

''Just do me one favor, and I will not badger you on the subject the entire duration of my stay...'' Morgana turned to Evangeline, biting her lip lightly.

''What about? Please don't tell me you're on about Arthur again!'' Evangeline sighed. She had hoped she was out of the water.

''Just met him. Once. And I won't speak about him again.'' Morgana promised.

Evangeline sighed, shaking her head as she glanced away. ''Morgana, I don't want to see him.''

''You don't fool me, Evangeline. I wouldn't try to push you to him if I knew you really did not have any affection for him.'' Morgana said.

''You just don't understand, Morgana.'' Evangeline spoke with a defensive harshness in her tone.

''Then at least help Arthur understand. I hate to see him in pain. And since you are too stubborn to accept his love, then end this. I don't want both my friends in pain.''

''I have ended it! A thousand times throughout this entire year! He won't leave me be.'' Evangeline's voice rose slightly higher than needed.

Morgana sighed, kissed Evangeline's cheek and said goodnight. She was tired of it, and though she loved her best friend, she did not want to hear it anymore.

Evangeline frowned as Morgana disappeared beyond her door, and a lonesome cold tear slipped down her cheek.

She rushed to the small wooden desk in the corner of her dark, lonely room and took a long deep breath.

Arthur,

If it isn't too late, I would like to see you. I have to talk to you, make you see sense. Meet me in the Darkling Wood at midnight.

Sincerly, Evangeline

She quickly sent it on its way, before she changed her mind, and bite her lower lip in anxiety as she watched it fly away in the beak of a black crow.

Meanwhile, in Camelot, Arthur lay in his newly made bed, restless and silent as he stared at the stone walls across the room.

A small peck on the window snapped him into reality and he sat up, confused as he peered at the window.

A black bird, sitting on his window ledge outside was what he saw and walked over to open the window for it.

It flew in immediately and dropped a small roll of parchment on his bed, before flying back out, without another glance back.

Still very perplexed, he picked it up and unrolled it.

After reading the short note, he felt a smile tug at his lips and rushed to his wardrobe to grab his cloak.

Evangeline snuck out of the castle and walked solemnly through the woods, she needed to do this, no matter how strong the urge to turn back and run was.

''Evangeline!'' Arthur whispered a shout, peering through the thick trees.

''I'm here!'' Evangeline found him, downcast and somber as she approached.

Arthur smiled, ''I'm so happy to see you! What did you want to say?'' He asked.

Evangeline sighed, and touched his arm lightly, but retrieved her hand, thinking better of it.

''I-... Ask me anything.'' She said, looking up into his fair blue eyes.

Arthur smiled lightly, a bit confused by her behavior, ''Okay... What's your favorite color?''

Evangeline shook her head. ''No, not that kind of question. I mean... about us...'' She hated saying that word, 'us'. It sounded like a curse.

''And you won't push the question aside?'' Arthur asked.

''No, I won't. I'll try anyway.'' Evangeline bit her lip.

But it was hard for him to think of what to ask with her gaze upon him. It was as if looking into her eyes made him loss his thoughts.

''You seem so determined. Why? It's frightening me. I feel like you're trying to say goodbye.'' Arthur frowned, and his fright was noticed by looking into his eyes.

''I am. Forever, this time.'' She informed, hiding her somber tone of voice as best as she could.

''You would rather give me up than overcome your stubbornness?'' Arthur asked, too sad to be too angry.

''I'm giving you the chance to find something worthwhile. Something better.'' Evangeline said frowning softly under his weary gaze.

''I wish you would stop trying to make decisions for me. I wish you would accept that I don't want to be with anyone who isn't you.'' He spoke with a soft sincerity, but it was strong and stern beneath it's quietness.

Despite the tug at her heart those words did bring, she sighed, looking down at the forest floor.

''Well I wish that you didn't feel so.'' Evangeline admitted, unable, still to look back up at him.

Arthur sighed a hurt and sad sigh.

Evangeline was reminded of Sir Derrick's execution tomorrow at noon and her eyes widened as she realized she had done it again.

''I do this often.'' She sighed, shaking her head. ''I tease, lead on, but I never stay with it. Promise me you won't be like Sir Derrick?''

Arthur frowned, slightly perplexed. ''Who is that?''

''Well,'' Evangeline began, ''when Matthew and I were children, we had this friend, Sir Derrick. His father was a knight for my father. We weren't very good friends, you see, Matthew and I because we didn't need him. We had each other and that was the only friends we needed. Sir Derrick would follow us around and I never noticed by he grew fancy me.''

Evangeline paused, biting her lip at her sorrow while Arthur bit back his jealousy.

''Recently, two days ago, to be exact, he asked my hand in marriage.'' Evangeline did not seem to notice Arthur's knuckles as they turned slightly paler. ''I laughed.'' She shook her head.

''I finally broke him. He snuck into my chambers not two days ago and in the darkness, he threatened. He threatened if I did not marry him, he would make me.''

She glanced up at Arthur, who was beyond angry with this Sir Derrick, whom he had never met.

''Don't you see? I destroy. I make people turn against their very nature. I'm a monster and I don't wish to make you one.''

Arthur sighed, and took her hands in his.

''You are no monster.'' He reassured sternly. ''It is this twisted Sir Derrick who is at fault.''

''Thank you, Arthur. I'm sorry to bore you with dumb stories, but I just want you to be like him. I don't want to do that to you.'' She sighed inaudibly.

''You won't.'' He squeezed her hand lightly, reassuringly.

''You melt my heart, you know?'' Evangeline sighed, her melted heart pumping viciously despite it's ruined state.

Arthur own heart reacted happily and a long overdue smile took its place on his fair face.

''Do I?'' He asked, wishing she kept talking as sweetly.

Evangeline nodded a yes, her eyes cast down.

''But you're ashamed of that-'' Arthur began sadly, though he was interrupted by something a thousand times more pleasant than his sorrow...

A kiss.