Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

60

Evangeline bit her lower lip, conflicted. A part of her wished to stay, with Arthur. But she did not desire to invoke her father's anger and sadness anymore than she has already.

''I'm coming, father. I just... '' Evangeline bit her full lip and looked to the forest floor.

Odin sighed, despite his sorrow and hatred, he knew that they probably wanted a moment and with a heavy heart, he gestured for his men to walk and he followed.

''Hurry back to me, my sweet.'' He muttered for her ears only and disappeared into the trees.

As Evangeline approached Arthur, his heart sped out of control. He could feel his own pulse in his fingertips.

But as his heart's beats grew strong, the energy aura around him grew weaker. It faded completely when she stood before him, as if it knew she would present him no harm.

She slowly cupped his cheek and even slower than before, she brought her lips to his. She whispered against his lips, ''Goodbye...'' before kissing them with a hauntingly slow passion that made his knees go weak and his spine to quiver.

Arthur had lost himself in her kiss, lost time itself and when he opened his eyes once again, she was gone.

Once back at the castle, Evangeline wasn't sure how to speak to her father. She didn't really wish to talk about it, but he requested her in her chambers.

She reluctantly climbed the spiral stairwell leading to her room and paused at the large wooden door.

When she entered, her father was standing near the window, staring out into the trees of the forest.

At the sound of the door, he did not turn and that worried Evangeline even more so than she was previously.

''Before you say anything, father,'' Evangeline spoke quickly, biting her lower lip in anxiety, ''I know all you see when you look at them is Red. Blood. But if only you could see him as I do, you would understand.''

''I know that would be a great deal to ask, but I beg, father, try.'' She frowned, and when she got no helpful response from Odin, she add, hesitantly,

''I-... I spoke with Matthew...'' Odin turned to face her, surprised and sadness dominating his aging features.

Evangeline looked downward, ''While I was in Camelot. I used magic. I was sad and desperate... He told me not to blame Arthur.'' At the remembrance of this, she choked on a small sob but tried to shake it out of her throat.

''I know it's hard, father. But Matthew... He wasn't like us. He was special and forgiving and selfless. And... I miss him.'' She shook her head, unable to hold it together.

Odin closed the large gap between them and wrapped an arm around her. ''I know it's hard. I know it's hard for you too. I seen the way you looked at Pendragon... Conflicted and sad... But there was something there between you two, an invisible rope that kept pulling you back.''

The day passed and the sun rose again, but no letters arrived.

Arthur was reluctant, despite how strongly his wishes to speak to her were. But he was afraid of her father. Of pressuring him to forbid their pairing.

Evangeline felt the same and found Morgana swiftly to distract herself.

They hadn't spent much time together since Morgana's arrival and Evangeline wished to change that.

Evangeline gave Sir Alexandrus and Morgana a tour around the castle, all the while attempting to keep Arthur far from her mind.

It was useless, as any could see. She walked about, distracted. Looking without seeing.

As night drew near, Arthur couldn't wait much later. He couldn't sleep with the memory of their last parting still very fresh in his mind.

He felt as if she was finally ready to accept it. Him. And then he had to leave. Right when his chances were the greatest.

It unsettled him. He feared her departure would convince her to change her mind.

Evangeline sighed, laying down on her bed as the moon hung high in the warm night air. She thought of Arthur. And wished she didn't.