Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

63

Merlin paced the psychian's quarters, his mind in panic and disarray.

He knew that if an imposter was in their mist, it had to be serious. For that person to risk being revealed as using magic, just to get close to Arthur, that was a serious gamble.

It could be for the desire for power and money, but whatever reason, it was sure to end badly for the future King of Albion.

''I'm going to find Arthur.'' Merlin informed the aged fellow who had taken him in.

Gaius cautioned him against being too blunt, ''The prince is smitten. Watch what you might say. There is no love spells at work, Merlin. This is true affections. Stronger than any spell.''

Merlin heeded his uncle's words, but his enthusiasm was much more difficult to extinguish.

''Arthur! I have to speak with you!'' He rushed into his boss' place of residence, looking hyper but troubled.

Arthur unintentionally rolled his fair blue eyes, appearing from behind the curtain divider. ''What is it now, Merlin? See a ghost in the armory?'' He asked the last bit dryly.

So used to hearing outrageous accusations and theories from his manservant, he seemed skeptical about everything he had to say.

''No.'' Merlin glare, but continued, ''I think you need to be careful and watch around you.'' He tried not to say anything about the imposter, as to not arouse Arthur's suspicions of treason or ill-language against the woman he had developed strong feelings for.

''Why?'' He asked, regarding Merlin's warning as a joke, by the slight smile tugging at his lips.

Merlin sighed, ''Just do it, okay?''

Arthur crossed his arms over his chest. ''I thought we established that I would do the bossing around...? It doesn't suit you, Merlin.''

After a long, serious expression from Merlin, Arthur sighed. ''What exactly should I be 'looking out' for?''

''Strange behavior.'' Merlin shrugged.

''Like your's now?'' Arthur rose a brow at him.

Merlin shook his head, struggling to find the right words. ''Just the women you see...'' He inwardly scolded himself for his poor choice of wording.

Arthur shifted his weight to one side. ''Do you have something against women, Merlin?'' He asked.

''Just one...'' He muttered bitterly.

''What are you murmuring about?'' The prince asked, who heard the noise, but was deaf to the words.

Merlin said nothing to incriminate himself further and left Arthur with a few more words of caution.

Without much sleep, Merlin had made it through the night, only to be reminded of the troubles depriving him of sleep.

He did not see the imposter the whole day but what worried him most was that he had not seen Arthur either. He looked desperately, through the Darkling wood, the castle, almost all of Camelot, but had no luck.

Ever second Merlin's anxiety grew and he wasn't sure how to go about vanquishing the problem and find Arthur safe and sound.

He needed some wise advice, that was for sure. The Great Dragon! He remembered at last, and hurried to meet him in the hidden dungeon pass.

After explaining the problem at hand, Kilgharrah's expression did not carry the relief Merlin had hoped to receive.

''I'm sorry to disappoint you, young warlock. But there is nothing you or I can do that involves magic.''

Merlin sighed heavily, before catching on. ''Wait! You said 'that involves magic'. That means there's other ways?'' He asked.

''Indeed.'' The Dragon answered, but did not carry on as to how.

''Well?'' Merlin pressed, clearly irritated.

''Patience, young warlock for I have grown old.'' The dragon seemed tired and slow in his old age.

''There is one thing that comes to mind. You much bring the true embodiment of his affections. He must see for himself who he loves.''

Merlin rushed out, throwing a thanks over his shoulder. This required great speed and he summoned his princess friend as quickly as he could.

He didn't have time to explain to her in the tiny letter heading her way in a raven's beak, but she trusted him and came without knowing the reason.

Upon her arrival, which was discrete and unknown to all but Morgana, Merlin and herself, she quickly found Merlin in Arthur's chambers.

There, he quickly explained why her presence was necessary but she was still a bit confused, until she seen herself sneak into the prince's room.

Words seemed to have failed her as her doppelganger turned around and jumped in fright.

Evangeline was snapped from her jumbled thoughts when the deceiver recollected her wits and attempted to leave.

Evangeline acted quickly, trapping her in materialized ropes, which tied themselves expertly around her whole body.

She fell with a thug and Evangeline cautiously approached. ''Who are you?'' She demanded, her gaze set in a look that could kill.

''Why have you taken my face?'' She asked, when she had no answer given.

There one sided exchange was interrupted by the prince himself. He had a double take and still looked mighty confused.

''Wha-?'' After that, his mind could find any words acceptable.

''What did I say, Arthur? I told you she wasn't all she seemed. It's an imposter.'' He gestured to the tied woman strongly resembling Evangeline.

Arthur took a step back, ''How can you tell? What if she is?'' Arthur pointed to the true Evangeline.

She glare over at him, obviously displeased by his inability to know his real lover.

''Arthur! I'm insulted!'' She crossed her arms over her chest.

Evangeline always did resort to anger, instead of hurt.

''But I- I spent the day with you.'' He looked lost as a puppy as he glanced between the two.

Evangeline scoffed. ''And you still couldn't tell that wasn't me? If it looks like her, it must be!'' She mocked, rolling her emerald eyes.

Arthur smiled, that was truly his Evangeline. Insulting him at every turn.

''I knew you- she was acting strange! More strange than you are usually. Somehow, I could feel that something wasn't right. Your eyes- she didn't know how to use them.'' He seemed far off for a moment, thinking about the way his Evangeline look at him.

It was something... warm. Something that caused his lips to sigh.

The imposter did not have that. The imposter couldn't have hoped in her wildest dreams to have that ability.

Only one could do such a thing to him and she was standing across the room, looking displeased by him.

Arthur smile at this, and passed through that space between them to get to her. To see those darling eyes.

-Meanwhile, in the throne room-

''And you're sure it was sorcery you saw?'' Uther asked of the simpleton whom had summoned him for a report.

''Yes, my lord. The woman, Princess Evangeline of Bernicia. She was muttering into a stone. I heard it. A strange made up language.'' He trembled in the presence of his king.

''Very well.'' Uther grimaced. He did not stand for magic, no matter who the witch or wizard was. His dealing out judgement was sure to bring a war, but Uther's eyes were pooled over with his hatred.

''Guards! Find the sorceress!'' He commanded, leaning back in his throne.
♠ ♠ ♠
Terribly sorry for the shortness. I just wanted to get something out there so ya'll didn't leave me. :P Hope you are pleased and surprised and... all those good emotions. -Blessed be.