Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

66

"Line the city walls! We will take the fight to Uther!" King Odin's angry shouts boomed against the dark walls of the castle.

His men set out without a sound. The troops marched to the gate, forming lines of ready soldiers. Evangeline appeared like a gust of strong wind in his sight.

She was exhausted from using so much of her strength and fell to the stone flag floors of the main hall.

Her father rushed to her, anger against Uther and worry for his daughter pumping through his fast veins.

''Evangeline!'' He pulled her up easily, setting her upright with support.

Simply threatening his only child could make the man gather his troops, but to see her now, messy hair and tired eyes, he could send them out at once, meet Uther with all his force.

Evangeline gathered her wits and stood upward without any need of help.

''I'm fine, father.'' She assured.

''Don't march to Camelot. It will only bring death.'' Evangeline shook her head, seeing knights rush off in hurried missions.

''Where's Morgana? And Sir Alexandrus?'' Evangeline ask, looking around.

''Uther's knight is in the dungeons. He could be a scout.'' Odin told his now angered child.

''And Morgana?'' She asked, ready for a strong fight is he so much as threatened her dear friend.

''In her chambers. The guards are on the other side of her door. She been trying to escape.'' He told her.

''Because she's afraid! She doesn't know what's going on!'' Evangeline glared as long as she could before rushing up the long, wide stairwell.

''Busy yourselves elsewhere!'' Evangeline shouted to the guards, her scorn vicious and commanding.

The two not dare recite orders, for she would clearly not listen.

Evangeline pushed open the doors, and walked inside. ''Morgana?'' She ask to the seemingly empty room.

Morgana stood and rushed to her. ''What's happening? They took Alexandrus!''

''I know. We're going to get him. But something horrible has happened...''

Evangeline took her first breath since she arrived. ''Uther found out about my powers. He locked me away and I was to be burnt this day. Arthur and Merlin rescued me and I used the last of my strength to get back.''

Morgana covered her red lips in shock and horror. ''But... This is sure to be messy. No wonder! Your father is gathering masses. Oh my...'' Morgana bit her lip, looking worried and scared.

''I need to get you and Alexandrus back to Camelot.'' Evangeline sighed, leading Morgana to the dungeons.

''Release that man!'' Evangeline pointed, daring the hairy guards to challenge her demand.

''But the King-!'' They argued, oftentimes getting into trouble with the King by obeying her orders instead of his.

''You will release him. Or I will myself! It could get messy.'' She warned.

They sigh deeply and unlocked his cell, muttering about how much grief they were going to catch from the King.

The Knights of Bernicia had learned long ago of the princess' power and stopped denying her wishes little time after she set a guard on fire... Accidentally, of course.

Alexandrus walked out, sending a glare their way.

''What's happening, Evangeline?'' He asked, after Morgana rushed to his arms. ''A war, I fear.'' She sigh.

''You and Morgana must leave for Camelot. It's no longer safe within these walls for you.'' She frown, hoping it wouldn't be that way forever.

Alexandrus nodded, his face set with determination to deliver the King's ward back to her warm bed.

''I will have the stable boy prepare you the means for departure.'' Evangeline lead them outside, through the back alleyways to the backdoor of the stables.

''Stable boy! Eoin!'' She waved him over and he stumbled quite a few times before making it to her.

''Prepare two of our best for fast travel.'' She instructed.

The loutish slim boy ran off to do just that. And Evangeline grabbed some apples and water and packed them in the saddles.

The boy brought the horses and strapped the saddles on.

Evangeline sighed, glancing at the two as they mounted their readied horses. ''Farewell, friends. I hope we will meet again, under better circumstances.'' She smiled lightly.

Morgana sigh, frowning down at her friend. ''This isn't the last you've seen of me, I promise.'' She assured, smiling brightly. Morgana was confident they would find one another again, when the madness cleared.

''Goodbye!'' Evangeline waved, smacking their horses in an encouraging nudge.

They sped off in the direction their master's willed. To Camelot.

Evangeline took a deep breath and left the stables for the castle. To change her father's mind from waging war with their neighbor.

''How could you free the Knight!? He will alert Uther of our attack!'' Her father shouted, the Knights gathered to plan their strategy.

''As if Uther would not expect it! He may be an arrogant ruthless tyrant but he is no fool!'' Evangeline argued.

King Odin sigh, seeing sense in her argument.

''I plead, father! Do not wage this war. It will solve nothing! Only unnecessary death can come of this!'' Evangeline crossed the long room to the front of the throne room, begging with her knit brows and frowning lips.

''Uther must see that he too has boundaries with which he cannot cross! He has grown fat with his arrogance!''

''We will met him in the middle. He knows he cannot penetrate these walls as well as we know we could not break his. The open space between is our battlefield!'' He spoke to his Knights now, showing the argument is over. He would not change his mind.

''That blood will be on your head!'' Evangeline shouted, glaring as she stormed off.

**Meanwhile in Camelot**

Arthur gathered his troops, ordered by his spiteful King.

Despite his reluctance, he shouted commands to mass outside the walls. Camelot natives filling in from the outline villages, bringing the little they had.

Morgana returned among the chaos, rushing to Arthur as Alexandrus took arms and followed his fellow Knights.

''You cannot do this, Arthur! They cannot fight if they have no one to go against!'' Morgana followed him as he rushed about.

''You think I want to? I have to. If Odin strikes, how could I leave my people helpless?'' He asked, looking at her with all the emotion he felt.

Morgana sighed, briefly embracing the boy she had grown up with.

She let him go and searched for Alexandrus. She worried for Arthur and the Knights. Wishing none dead.

She found him next to Sir Leon and pulled him close for a rare public kiss. She did not care who saw anymore. He could die!

And so the Kings of Camelot and of Bernicia readied for a long coming war.
♠ ♠ ♠
Definitely not my best. :/ Hope you comment your opinions and suggestions. It really helps me out to better this story. :) -Blessed be.