Status: I'll Usually Post a New Chapter At Least Once a Week.

"You Can't Stay a Saint in This City"

The Contours of Your Lips, the Magic of Your Hips, And I Still Love The Way That You Taste

“Have you’ve ever heard the song Amber by 311?” I ask Amber as she sits at her dining room table.

“Um, no?” Amber replies holding a scalpel in her hand and pointing it at the pumpkin. I’m not surprised it’s not exactly in a genre Amber likes to listen to. Ironically Brittany was convinced it was ‘our song’ when we were dating and probably planned to play it at our wedding or something.

“What do you think I should carve?” Amber frowns at her blank canvas.

“The Bruins logo?” I suggest but I know she’s going to shoot it down. A spoked B is too simple for Amber, she wants a challenge with lots of little details like a portrait of one of her rooms that was featured in ELLE Décor or something.

“I don’t think so Milan…” Amber says tracing a pattern over the grooves of the pumpkin with her finger. “I know exactly what I’m going to do.” Amber says before cutting the top off the pumpkin and pulling the seeds out with her hand.
______

“What are you doing to do for Halloween?” I ask Milan as I drop another handful of pumpkin insides into a stainless steel bowl.

“There’s a party at Chara’s. I think I might take Brittany.” Milan says like it’s no big deal. I mean it isn’t, I went to a Halloween party with Mike but Milan doesn’t need to know that. Besides secrets are sexy.

“What are you going as?” I ask imagining what kind of couples costumes Milan and I could get. Gladiators, Minnie and Mickey Mouse, Snooki and The Situation from the Jersey Shore but I can only imagine Brittany and Milan dressed up together posing for cheesy pictures.

“I’m going as a doctor and Brittany’s a nurse” Like anyone’s going to believe that.

“How about you Amber?”

“That’s a secret, I’ll text you pictures sometime.”

_____

“It’s Halloween!” I say to my dogs who seem extremely disinterested despite the fact that I spent the better part of my morning struggling to get them into their costumes. Dolce is dressed up as little red riding hood, Givenchy is the huntsman and Coco is dressed up as the wolf dressed up as the grandma. I slipped into my own custom-made Halloween costume and saunter downstairs. At Ambrosia Li Designs Halloween is the biggest holiday we celebrate which makes sense because we’re all just a group of artsy misfits. I originally ordered a vintage flight attendant custom and had it tailored but then PanAm aired and all of the sudden I was robbed of my totally original Halloween costume.

“What’s Arnold going to dress up as?” I ask Mike who is eating his breakfast in my kitchen, he’s been doing that a lot lately. He never buys food and I don’t really mind losing several dozen eggs over the course of a month.

Mike looks at Dolce, Coco, Givenchy and me with a confused expression. “Oh right its Halloween”

“Of course it’s Halloween,” I reply with my hands on my hips.

“And I thought you were just dressed for your new job in Vegas…” Mike smirks.
“Do you think it’s a little too much?” I ask twirling around in my showgirl/peacock costume. “I mean I already wore it to the party at the Playboy Mansion on Saturday.”

Mike pretends to pout “You got invited to the Playboy party and you didn’t think to have me as your plus one?”

“It was nothing special, just a bunch of girls wearing—literally—painted on costumes and an extremely unbalanced guy to girl ratio.” I stare at my reflection in my window. In the daylight it really does look a little bit more revealing than anticipated. Luckily I always have a backup plan.

Ten minutes later I am back outside in my new costume.

“I like this one better,” Mike says

“I’m surprised that you like something that’s not overtly sexual.” I reply with an eye roll.

“Well they did say that the Eiffel tower was a phallic structure” Mike says while checking his iPhone he looks up in time to see me frowning “Honestly Ambrosia it looks great.”

I smile, I love this costume. It’s a long white a-line dress with the Eiffel tower printed onto the front. It was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen when I found it on a Barbie doll. So I just arranged to have it made in a life sized version. I guess now all I have to do is go to work. I can’t wait to see everyone else’s costume.
_____

“Who the hell is that?” Mike asks as I put a cinnamon scented candle in my jackolantern.

“It’s Andy Warhol.” I reply carrying my pumpkin outside of my gate to welcome all the little trick-or-treaters. “Big plans tonight?”

“Well I don’t have a game until November 3rd…”

“So you’re going to party your face off?” I ask looking down the block and seeing several other pumpkins.

“Basically.”

“Have fun” meanwhile I have Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin to keep me company.

“I hope you have the King sized candy bars.”

“I do,” Thank god for Costco. “Care for some Reese Peanut Buttercups?”

Mike gladly takes it “So, you’re really going to spend Halloween alone handing out candy to little kids? You sure you don’t want to come”

“Yup.” Although the whole dancing thing wasn’t a problem anymore bodies packed in tight spaces with loud music has never been my thing.