Away From Me

I swear, I'll never be happy again

The wind blew softly that day, dancing across the light, morning sky with ease.

It caressed her exposed arms and tickled at her bare legs, sending a delighted chill down her spine. She smiled at the warmth engulfing her, twirling through the bright field gracefully with arms wide open. She felt without worry, calm, serene.

But only for a moment.

The rain was blinding, pouring with the vastness of a waterfall; the roads slick and unbearable. Lightning illuminated the dark sky like the sun, the loud clap of the thunder leaving the ground shaking in its wake.

Yet, he seemed perfectly content driving through the hazardous weather. A wide, elated smile appeared on his handsome face, staying with him throughout the rest of the night. He glanced at the angel sitting before him amorously, chuckling as she marveled at the glimmering diamond placed upon her finger.

She raised her head, the cascade of chestnut waves resting at her shoulders. Her ocean eyes gleamed with happiness, cheeks turning a light shade of scarlet as she noticed the way he stared at her.

Three words began to fall from his lips. A deafening noise sounded suddenly, interrupting him, followed by a blindingly bright light. His eyes grew wide with panic and despair, and before he could finish his sentence, something large and metal collided with the driver’s side of the vehicle.


She cringed at the memory, ridding of her happiness instantaneously. She struggled to suppress a sob, remembering her screams of agony and blood-curdling cries as her body was pulled from the wrecked car, reaching out helplessly to the mangled, still form of her beloved.

Another tremble, more tears shed, and she suddenly remembered where she was and why it was that she’d returned. She moved throughout the bed of roses quickly, making sure to pick only the most beautiful of them. One final pluck of a flower, and her bouquet was complete.

She made her way out of the field, trudging a familiar path to the one place that filled her heart with discontent. She kept her head low, not wanting to face the other deaths around her. Finally, her sorrowful eyes landed upon the one gravestone she was desperate to see. Her knees gave quickly, landing against the soft, wet grass.

“Hey, Aiden,” she whispered softly, a stream of tears trailing down her flushed cheeks. “It’s Delilah, again. Today’s the anniversary of your death. You’ve been away from me for almost a year now.”

Her fingers trailed along the engraved letters of his name absentmindedly, closing her eyes as the warmth of the breeze coiled around her once more. “I miss you so much. You have no idea how terrible it is down here now that you’re gone. But we’ll be together again, I promise.”

Delilah removed the aged, wilted flowers from her previous visit, replacing them with the newer, vibrant roses. She placed a gentle kiss atop the stone, letting her lips linger for the smallest of seconds.

“I’ll see you soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Word count: 503.

Hope you enjoyed this. :)