‹ Prequel: Crimson (Book One)

Darkness Follows (Book Two)

Battle

Just as Zane had said it was quicker on the backs of the wolves, we arrived to the headquarters in no time at all, Felix called in from the coms to warn my father what we were doing, preparing the hunters for the arrival of the werewolves. I had heard my father’s voice through the coms, he sounded thrilled when Felix mentioned that I was coming home... I couldn’t wait to be back there after all this time.
My father was standing outside the hideout with many hunters awaiting our return.
“Dad!” I called as I jumped off of Zane, flitting towards him taking him in an embrace, he hugged me back tightly.
“It is good to have you back my hija” he said looking at me from arms length, he looked worn, tired from worry of the loss of his daughter, until now, I was right in front of him and the light filled his eyes again once more.

“Sir, My name is Zane, Alpha and mate of Charlotte. And I thank you for letting us be here amongst you and I hope to gain the trust of all hunter kind” Zane said shaking my father’s hand
“MATE!?” My father said shocked
“We are soul mates dad” I said putting my hand on his shoulder
“Well, we shall talk about this later, there are more urgent matters at hand at this moment in time” My father replied
“But...Dad!” I said as he began to talk to everyone
“Welcome to you all, we have prepared rooms for all of you to stay in, you are welcome to go around the area as you wish but I hope that you shall be respectful to my fellow hunters as we begin our alliance. These are hard times but if we unite we will become stronger” My father said gesturing to the headquarters as some of the hunters opened the large wooden doors and the wolves began to walk in with a nod from their leader, Zane.
“Whose body is that?” My father asked
“Tony” I mumbled. My father walked up to the covered body of Tony in Felix’s arms and took him.
“I shall first organise a place for him to rest peacefully for now. You should all go to the office, I shall send someone to see if you need anything” he said walking off, distracted.
“Dad?” I called out, but he ignored me
“I shall talk to him baby girl, do not worry, his mind is mixed up with such events going on, it’s a lot to take on in his position” my mother said to me before running off towards my father.
“Come on Charlotte, we’re home” Jett grabbed my hand as he ran into the building dragging me along as I looked behind me Zane was looking towards us with a large smile on his face.

Life had changed so much but being back at headquarters made it feel so normal, I was finally home with the people I loved.

We had been at the headquarters for a few hours when my father had called to talk to Zane, but he refused for me and the others to join them, I shouted in protest but still my father denied me.
“Charlotte, give him time” Aala had said to calm me, it had not worked though; I flitted off heading towards the lake where I had always loved to go to let off steam, back when I was a hunter.
I sat on the deck in the water, dangling my feet into the calm soothing water, skimming stones across the water.
“This is a beautiful place, apt for a beautiful woman” Zane said as he came up behind me on the deck, I blushed.
“Yes it is beautiful, but I am far from beautiful, I’m nothing but a monster, even my father does not want me anymore” I replied
“Your father is scared my love, he has already lost you once and now battle is nigh and there is a possibility of losing you yet again. He loves you so much, just as so many others do, all the love that is given to you and that you give has changed the way of so many people and could help change the world, come and see the progress we are already starting to make as both hunter and werewolf unite” Zane said as he pulled me up from the edge of the deck placing a loving hand upon my face as he gave me a short sweet kiss before taking my hand and leading me back to the headquarters.

“Charlotte you have got to see this!” Jett raced towards me, taking me away from Zane and to one of the training halls.
“Watch the mouth!” a werewolf called from the side of the hall. The werewolves were showing hunters how to attack them with more damage.
One of the hunters was Alex; he began to fight using the plastic weapons that were being used so no one was harmed during training. Alex was able to get a few good hits before being pinned by the wolf.
“Get clear of my mouth and immobilise my legs before trying to hit me!” the wolf growled, the man standing to the side of the hall translated. I had an idea.
“Hey! Why don’t I show them how it’s done?” I called out.
“Ohh the little vampire wants to play huh? Well then, let’s play!” the wolf growled as he got off Alex.
“Miller” Zane growled towards the wolf
“Don’t worry Sir, I won’t hurt the princess too much” Miller smirked. The hunters and wolves backed away as Miller and I took our places in the hall.
“I’m far from a princess mate, trust me” I hissed, showing my fangs.
“Well come on then” Miller taunted. Zane was at the side translating for the others his eye was keenly on me as I smiled at him. For that one second of smiling at Zane I was pounded by miller, throwing me towards the wall.
“Oh it’s on now” I hissed, taking one of the solid plastic sticks twirling it in my hand as I circled him.
“Go on Charlotte! Whoop his ass!” Jett screamed.
I flitted to the wolves muzzle hitting it with the stick with all my might, Miller growled at me, blood dripping from the cut on his mouth. He lashed at me with his giant paws, I dodged them easily chuckling as I moved.
“Too slow” I laughed
“Silly girl” Miller laughed, leaping at me, this time I wasn’t able to dodge him, his teeth bared into the flesh of my arm, tearing at it.
“Miller Stop!” Zane shouted as he watched with worry, the pain had become excruciating and I knew Zane could feel part of it through the connection. But Miller did not let go, even as I screamed and tried to fight him off.
Suddenly a high squeal came from the wolf and he finally let go, he himself dripping in his own blood, out-cold. He was not dead but he would be out of it for some time. I looked up at who had saved me to see Zane in his wolf form, Miller’s blood dripping from his muzzle. He padded up to me nuzzling my neck.
“I am so sorry my love” he said licking the wound as I began to slowly heal, it was still painful and I could increasingly smell the sweet smell of blood all around me as I myself had lost a lot of blood.
“Blood” I whimpered, Zane’s eyes bore into mine.
“Is she okay?” Dakota said walking towards us. Zane turned in his wolf form growling, Trent suddenly appeared by his side and began to talk to them.
“She will be fine, she is already healing but she needs blood, with all the hunters in the area she can smell every single one” Trent told Dakota
“She... needs... blood” Dakota mumbled as Trent nodded
“Yes, that is why Zane growls, he is warning you away” Trent replied
“Ho...How is she going to get blood?” Aala stuttered
“Someone fetch a large warm blooded animal and take it to a separate room, I shall take her and she shall feed on it” Zane replied ordering one of his men as they took off to find me an animal to drink off of.
Soon Zane picked me up bridal style and took me from the hall into a small room, in the middle stood a large stag.
Jett and the others followed us into the room.
“No, don’t watch” I said turning to them
“Charlotte, we are here for you, always” Alex said.
I sighed as Zane put me down, knowing they would not leave, my eyes turned bright crimson and my fangs sharpened, I could smell their blood, I was trying with all my might not to bite them so I flitted to the stag breaking its scrawny neck and biting it hard, sucking every bit of its blood out.
When I had finished draining the poor stag I looked up towards my friends, my eyes were still red, my mouth stained by blood as the girls gasped.
“Do you see now? I am a monster” I said, my eyes turning back to their original colour.
“You are NOT a monster!” they all said, their voices combined shocked me.
“When are you going to get it in your thick skull that you are not a monster to us, yes you drink blood now but that does not make you a monster, you drank from an animal for god sake! You are able to refrain yourself from drinking human blood even if it is difficult, you can do it!” Jett screamed at me
I broke down crying, I cried for everything that had happened like a damn had burst and tears flowed from my eyes.
“Charlotte?” My father’s voice came from the doorway
“Papa” I cried as he burst through the doorway taking me in his arms out of Zane’s embrace.
“It will be ok my hija I promise. I am sorry for my actions before” he hugged me tight as he apologised. Everyone else had left the room except for Zane, I and my father. Finally I calmed down.
“I’m sorry” I whimpered
“You have been through a lot my love, even our kind has breaking points, and you must use times like these to strengthen you.” Zane said
“He’s right my hija and I give you both my blessing of being soul mates” My father smiled, I was so happy that I
“Charlotte let the man go you’ll crush him” Zane chuckled. But suddenly a voice came over the speakers.
“All fighters are to report to the front entrance of the building! Mass enemy approaching!” the voice screamed. I looked at my father and my love.
“It’s time” Zane nodded solemnly. I took his hand and we left the room with my father, heading to the armoury quickly first to gather weapons. My father left quickly to direct the hunters and Zane left shortly after, but not before a long loving kiss.

“We fight as one” Trent said as he came up behind me
“Yes, until the end” I replied and shook his hand.
Trent and I walked silently together to the entrance of headquarters.
Every single able man, woman and wolf was stood side by side in front of my father and Zane. I scanned the crowd for my friends, finding them all near the front as I walked to stand beside them.
Then my father began his battle speech.
“We are brought here today under extremely unfortunate circumstances. There has been a sighting of our enemy not far from here. Serena and her army ARE coming.
But let me remind you why we go to battle.
We battle for the safety of the world.
We battle for the ones we have loved and lost.
We battle tonight! United as one!” my father shouted into the crowd, everywhere you could hear the hollers and howls of hunters and wolves.
“Armour up!” Felix shouts out as every hunter quickly leaves to gather their weapons and armour from the weapon house.
When everyone had retrieved their armour and weapons we gathered together outside, waiting for instruction.
“I love you. We will be together forever” Alex said to Dakota, giving her a loving kiss as he held her shaking hands. I walked up to both of them, hugging them both.
“Group hug!” Blake laughed and my friends all came together in a large group hug.
“Just like old times” Blake said as we all laughed at him.

As I looked up from the group I saw my mother, father and Zane talking heatedly to Trent and a group of wolves.
“Excuse me guys” I said walking away from my friends.
Zane turned towards me sensing me near and took my hand in his with a soft smile.
“What’s going on?” I ask
“Trent wishes to lead a scout group up ahead to sweep the area” Zane explained
“I’m going too” I demand
“Charlotte...” My father began to warn
“No Dad, it wasn’t a question. I’m going with them on this scout” I said, my father looked annoyed and sighed.
“Are you sure about this my love?” Zane asked
“Yes” I replied, my father was still grumbling to himself
“Alejandro, Charlotte is no longer a child, she is a grown woman, she will have Trent and the others with her... it’s just a scout” My mother said towards my father
“Just a scout... An army of vampires is on its way and we are supposed to let our baby girl to go out to sweep the area without more support!” my father argues
“Aye Sir, I promise you I will not let Charlotte come to any harm” Trent said
“Fine” My father grumbled
“Thanks Papa” I said quickly hugging him.
Trent beckoned me with him as he explained the strategy for the scout.
“Be careful my love. I love you” Zane’s voice rang in my head; I smiled as I began to flit to keep up with Trent and the other wolves.
Suddenly I heard a sharp scream come from a small clump of trees nearby, making me stand still listening for the scream, but I heard nothing more.
“Stay here while we go check it m’lady” Trent said sternly. For once I did as I was told as I tried to sense what was happening around me.
Unexpectedly I was knocked flying into one of the trees nearby, smashing my head on the tree causing my own blood to drip down my forehead, as I looked up I saw him... Corbin... he had an evil smirk on his face, blood was all over him and in his hands was something that shocked me the most... Trent’s severed head.
“No!” I screamed taking my knife out of my boot throwing it at Corbin as it landed in his shoulder he hissed in pain as the silver burnt him, he took the knife out of his searing shoulder flitting in and out through the trees. I could hear his movements all around me as I took out my sword from its sheath and swing it in my hands quickly.
“Come get me” Corbin’s voice taunted moving quicker from tree to tree as I tried to keep up with him.
Abruptly Corbin was upon me slashing my chest leaving a deep gash made by my own knife; it burnt my chest, the searing pain making me hiss just as Corbin had done.
“Go back to your hunters. Tell them to kiss their beating hearts goodbye” he chuckled as he flitted off, but not before throwing Trent’s bloody severed head at me as it landed between my feet. I began to cry, crying for Trent and the searing pain in my chest as I took off my jacket placing Trent’s head in it and wrapping it carefully before flitting back towards headquarters.
As I arrived I heard gasps of some of the hunters and wolves nearby, I was quickly surrounded by them and then swiftly taken off my feet by a wolf as he took me to Zane.
Zane noticed me instantly as the wolf carried me towards him, rushing to my side and taking me in his own awaiting arms as he tried to understand what had happened, but I could not speak, shock filled me. Zane placed his hand upon my cheek, closing his eyes seeing what happened within his own eyes.
“Oh my love” he said as he opened his eyes and held me tighter, but I hissed in pain which made him notice the deep gash in my chest, making a cut on his own hand and placing it against my chest making me cry out, but slowly the pain eased as Zane’s blood helped me heal.
“Charlotte!” I heard Jett shout in shock as he ran up to us Aala by his side, but his eyes drifted to my jacket as did Aala’s.
“What is that? Why is it covered in blood?” Aala said as the rest of the group filed in behind them.
“T...Trent” I cried. Aala gasped and hid her face into Blake’s shoulder; everyone looked shocked towards the bloodied jacket.
I suddenly heard the sounds of swords clashing in the distance, my eyes turned red with anger.
“We’re under attack!” Felix shouted towards us.
“Corbin’s mine” I said standing up swiftly with my sword in hand as I rushed into the beginnings of battle.
I was soon joined by Zane and the others as our weapons clashed against the awaiting vampires, the wolves teeth ripped into their necks, tearing them limb from limb.
I was trying to lighten the load for my hunter family, weakening the enemy so they could finish them, all the while looking for my main targets Corbin and Serena.
I was suddenly shoved out of the way by Sandra as she swung her silver axe trying to take down three new born vampires. As I tried to help her she kept pushing me away from her battle.
“I can deal with this. Help Aala and Dakota!” she shouted
I saw her determination and did what she had ordered, finding Aala and Dakota surrounded by six rogue vampires which were the most dangerous as they had no leader, it was the blood lust that led them.
I flitted around them, slashing at their torsos distracting them so Felix could finish them with one arrow as I saw him run towards us.
But that was when I heard a high pitched scream, turning to see who it was I saw Sandra caught in the mouth of a vampire.
“No! Sandra!” Felix cried out as he battled his way towards her, firing at the vampire killing it with one swift blow to the head. Aala and Dakota were now able to fight their own battles as they urged me to go to Sandra.
I flitted towards Felix and Sandra, her pale figure in Felix’s shaking arms.
“Stay with me my love” Felix cried, but it was too late, Sandra had been drained of her blood, she was already dead.
“Felix you have to let her go, give her to me, I’ll take her and put her somewhere safe. The battle is too strong” I said putting a hand on his shaking shoulder.
“They will pay for this” He said putting her small body into my arms before letting out a loud animalistic cry shooting and enemy he came across. A tear slipped from my eye as I flitted to a nearby cluster of trees placing her body under it’s over grown roots.
“Who is that hunny?” My mother’s voice sounded from behind me.
“Sandra” I said as my mother’s hand flew to her quaking mouth in shock, tears forming in her eyes as Sandra was her best friend.
We took just a second to survey the battle, Jett and the others had grouped together, stronger as a team, my father had joined Felix in the middle of many vicious vampires. I smelt the reek of blood everywhere. But one person who I could not see was my true love, Zane.
“Where are you Zane?” I muttered under my breath as my mother and I rejoined the fight helping some of our fellow hunter friends. Then I saw something strange, all of the enemy were beginning to flit and bound away from the battle, they were retreating, but why?
“They’re retreating!” a hunter shouted joyously
I looked around me; bodies of hunter, vampire and werewolf kind were strewn across the ground... and then I smelt it, the smell of smoke.
I whirled around to where the smell of smoke was coming from to see that my own family home was on fire.
I rushed to the house, the flames licking up the walls, crawling and biting at it.
It was then when I heard a masculine voice come from within the house... a Spanish voice... my father!
“Dad!” I screamed as my mother and the others ran up behind me as I was readying myself to leap into the house.
“Charlotte you’ll be killed in those flames!” Jett shouted at me
“I can’t leave him in there!” I said but suddenly I was pushed aside, Felix crashed past me running through the flames and bursting into the burning house.
Even with my defined hearing I could not sense what was happening in the house... that was until I heard the creaking and snapping of the wooden thatched roof as it caved in.
“Dad! Felix!” I screamed, when I tried to flit into the house a strong pair of arms stopped me, Zane’s arms.
More people that I loved had died in battle and I had not been able to stop it.
“Where were you Zane?” I cried thumping his chest with my fist
“I was tracking” he replied, hugging me close.
“Tracking who?” I whimpered into his chest as I could hear the sobs of my mother nearby.
“Serena” he answered
“You know where she is?” I asked
“I know exactly where she is” he said. I looked into his eyes, so filled with love, passion but also anger deep within them.
I pulled out of his arms abruptly.
“Show me” I said. He nodded placing his hand on my cheek as images invaded my mind, her cruel smile lingered still after he had withdrawn his hand.
“Dakota, Aala take my mother back to headquarters. Boys, we have some work ahead of us” I said. The girls nodded taking my mother’s sobbing form with them, even though I felt like sobbing I had to stay strong, I would grieve later when we were free from battle.
“What are you planning my love?” Zane questioned
“We’re going to end this. Gather some of your wolves, Jett, Alex, gather a team of hunters, we are going straight for Serena” I said
“Have you gone mad?” Jett cried out
“She’s not mad Jett, she has a point, hit them where they lie now; they won’t expect it. Come on, let’s go” Alex said dragging Jett with him
Blake stood still, head bowed.
“Blake?” I said softly touching his shoulder
“When will it end?” he asked quietly
“I don’t know Blake, but I will do everything I can to stop it” I replied
“As will I” Zane replied
“I need to see if Aala is alright” Blake said walking off
“Charlotte?” Zane’s voice rang through my head, but my mind was in the clouds, thoughts of all that had happened and what I planned to do fill my head.
“Charlotte” Zane repeated but this time he tried kissing me on the lips which brought me straight back kissing back.
“Sorry” I said
“Do not worry my love, Come, we must prepare ourselves” he said taking my small hand in his.
Zane took me back to headquarters where many were now being seen to for their battle wounds. Zane left me in the main hall as he left to choose a group of wolves o come along on the mission. I found Aala, Dakota and my mother in the corner of the main hall the bodies of Tony, Taylor and Sandra had been retrieved and brought here.
“Mum” I whispered as I crouched own to her, taking her in an embrace, but she did not respond.
“She hasn’t said a word” Aala said sighing
“I need you two to do something for me” I sighed
“Anything” Dakota replied
“Look after her. We’re going after Serena and Corbin. You two are staying here” I said. But really I planned to leave before anyone knew I had gone on my own, I wouldn’t let anyone else die.
“You’re waiting for Zane and the boys’ right?” Aala asked
“Yes of course” I lied. I hugged them both goodbye before flitting straight to the weapon house to gather any other weapon I could find, only to find only one lone silver coated arrow left, I took it, placing it in my small crossbow before leaving quickly, not looking back.
♠ ♠ ♠
looonnnggg chapter. i have finished this story :) the next chapter is the last! can't believe its over :)