‹ Prequel: Crimson (Book One)

Darkness Follows (Book Two)

the end

It was so easy getting into Serena’s new base... way too easy.
I had grabbed a hooded jacket, putting up the hood to hide my face as I searched the area for Corbin and Serena, ready to take my revenge on them.
Everyone seemed to be moving towards a small brick cabin; standing outside... just waiting.
The door began to slowly open as Serena walked out with Corbin and Ash by her side. Ash had always been trouble as a hunter and now it seemed he had been turned into a vampire himself, he would be a bigger threat.
“My loyal subjects! Well done in battle today, we have massively weakened their forces, it will not take long in order to break them...” Serena said.
I couldn’t listen to what she was saying, I had a task at hand, and I was going to kill the queen vampire, even if it would be the death of me.
It all went as if everything had been put into slow motion, but in fact it all went so quickly it would have been a blur of images.
I took off my hood, grabbing my small hidden crossbow that had the silver arrow locked in it. The arrow whizzed through the air, but I did not see it strike as I was attacked by vampires all around me. But Serena’s screams filled the air; the arrow had definitely hit its target.
*Jett’s POV*

We had gathered a large group of hunters for infiltrating the vampire’s base camp.
Suddenly Zane ran up to me, worry plastered on his face.
“Jett, have you seen Charlotte?!” his worry showing in his voice
“No. I thought she was with you!” I replied
“No... She wouldn’t... We must leave now” he muttered
“What’s going on?” Alex said as he rounded the corner with the team of hunters.
“Charlotte has gone. I think she has gone to defeat Serena on her own” Zane replied as he walked off with us in his stead.
“But she’ll be killed!” I shouted, Zane turned and his face looked grave.
“We must leave now. Do you all have your weapons?” he asked
“Yes” Alex replied.
I was beginning to panic; Charlotte was on her own in the middle of a vampire base camp... she could be dead already.
“She will be fine child. She’s a brave and strong woman” Zane’s hand clamped on my shoulder.
“Yeah, she’s too brave for her own good sometimes” I replied
“Ha! Yes she is my boy. Alright team. Let’s go!” Zane ordered as they transformed and let us onto their backs so we could get there quicker.

*Charlotte’s POV*

I was surrounded by vampires that were trying to tear me apart as I fought hard against them, but I was getting weaker, more and more blows to my body were drawing my energy.
A howl came from nearby and suddenly a dark brown wolf was by my side biting at any vampire that came near me.
“I said I would protect you for Zane, did I not?” Trent’s voice rang through my head
“Trent!” I squealed, shocked as I believed him to be dead.
“We were held by a bunch of feeble rogues, they used a shape shifter in order to make you believe it was my head in Corbin’s hands” Trent explained in my mind as we fought.
“What about the others?” I asked
“Look behind you” he said giving me a chance to look.
The other werewolves were fighting their own battles nearby, howling when they saw me looking at them. This gave me the push I needed to carry on. Finally I was able to see Serena’s dead body on the ground; Corbin sat next to her, his eyes pure crimson, then as he looked up from Serena’s body he found my eyes and the look chilled me to the bone, in my already cold body.
“Serena is dead! Kill them! Then follow me, your new leader!” Corbin shouted as e flitted off with Ash and half of the vampires from the camp. But still I could not get to him.
We battled on against the remaining vampires when another familiar howl came from the distance.
“Aye, that’ll be the master” Trent said as I looked towards the oncoming figures.
Zane, the other wolves and my hunter friends ploughed into the field of vampires/
Soon enough all the vampires were killed, their bodies placed into a pile and burnt... all except Serena’s.
“Don’t ever do that again!” Jett screamed at me, running at me.
“Sorry” I replied
“What the hell were you thinking Charlotte!” Zane’s voice boomed
“I had to do it. It was the only way!” I said head bowed down. Zane took my head into his hands looking softly into my eyes
“You silly woman” he chuckled
“Sir” Trent’s voice interrupted
“My God! Trent!” Zane said in shock as he gave Trent a brotherly embrace
“I shall explain Sir” Trent said
“No need, I have seen enough” Zane replied as his arms were wrapped tightly around me.
Suddenly I felt exhaustion overwhelm me as I collapsed into Zane’s arms
“Charlotte!” Jett cried in shock
“I’m ok” I whispered
“She’s exhausted. With everything that has happened, her becoming a vampire, the bond and this battle, it has taken its toll” Trent told Jett
“Don’t forget the losses of people we loved” Alex piped up
“Aye, that too” Trent nodded
Zane lifted me into his strong muscular arms.
“Trent would you carry her back? I shall bring Serena’s body to burn in front for everyone. It is a momentous day, especially for the hunters” Zane said
Trent nodded transforming into his wolf form as Zane placed me gently on his back, kissing my cheek.
Trent bounded off as soon as the others were ready.
I must have fallen asleep as the next moment I knew I was back in Zane’s arms once again and there were shouts and hollering coming from all around.
Everyone was cheering for me and the fact that Serena was dead.
I looked up at Zane’s face, he had yet to notice I was awake, his face looked pained.
“Zane?” I said, my palm soft upon his cheek, his expression changed instantly onto one of love.
“You hear all that? It’s all for you they cheer for the death of Serena. They cheer because you were the one to kill her” Zane said, but once again his face was pained.
“What is it Zane?” I said softly
“They have no idea that this is far from over. Corbin is stronger than they think. He will return, maybe even stronger than before” he replied
“You are wrong if you think our kind does not realise the trouble to come” A voice said from Zane’s side
“Henry!” I said shocked that our master had returned.
“Yes. I received word from your father before the battle and came straight here, only to find yo had finished this yourself. Where is your father? I wish to congratulate him on his success and offer him a permanent station as master” Henry replied looking for my father.
“He... he...he’s dead” I stammered. Henry looked shocked.
“How?” he asked
“Our house was aflame; he tried to save the house but got trapped. Felix went in to try and save him but the roof collapsed in, they were both killed” I replied
“That is...unfortunate. I shall have them honoured along with all that have lost their lives for this cause. Excuse me while I put some order back into this place” Henry said walking off into the throngs of hunters
“Well that was weird” I mumbled
“He has a lot on his mind my love. Do you think you can now stand?” he asked, I nodded and he put me onto the ground softly
“I must go talk to Mr Pike further. Will you be ok my love?” he asked and again I nodded as he took off swiftly.
“Would everyone please make their way to the field down by the lake as we are ready to place the body of Serena, queen of the vampires onto the flames” a voice came out of the many speakers.
Everyone started to walk out ready to watch Serena’s body burn in the flames.
My lungs felt like they were burning, I was hungry; I could not go out there with so many pulses beating with the fresh sweet smelling blood that I craved.
“Do you not wish to join them?” Trent asked, appearing by my side
“I can’t” I said
“You’re thirsting for their blood aren’t you?” Trent asked
“Yes” I replied
“Here” he said passing me a cup. I looked at the cup confused
“Do not worry pet its animal blood, the boys and I went hunting and I thought you would be hungry” he said opening the lid of the cup.
The smell of the blood sent me spiralling, gulping it down in seconds.
“Will that do you for now?” he asked as I nodded and we walked out of the building seeing the red hot flames.
“Burn her!” people chanted all around and as Trent and I took our places within the crowd Zane brought out Serena’s lifeless body and threw it onto the bonfire with a howl, a howl that only wolves and I knew the meaning of...
Freedom.
The wolves were free from battling the hunters, they had a choice.
Even though there was more battle yet to come there was one definite thing that kept us together, a new kind of freedom, an alliance between man and wolf.
Corbin would pay for everything he had ever done. I would make sure of that.
♠ ♠ ♠
so its over! hope you liked it :D x