Soldier

Soldier

Jack and Maria gazed at the peer before them, laughing about when they were younger their mothers would say the salty sea mist would turn them into fish with all the time they spent just looking out into the warm ocean.

Maria watched intently as Jack laughed at her silly joke that only made since to them. She stole a gaze from under her lashes, she didn't want John to worry about her when he was off at war. She was told by his mother and her own that war is not a time for thinking it is just a time for doing. Jack's parents made it very clear to Maria that she and Jack were to stay away from each other, Jack was going into the army and Maria was trying to find her way in life.

Maria ducked and yelped as a seagull swooped down trying to steal the boardwalk fry she way eating. Jack laughed whole heartily and teased her about being squeamish, but then his laugh went dry and he just stopped suddenly remembering this would be the last time they would see each other for a long time.

Jack leaned over and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, Maria knew she shouldn't pester him with the idea of them...it was such a mess neither of them really knew what the other felt. They continued their walk down the peer, Jack pointed to something in the sandy distance and shouted, "You have to see this!"

Maria laughed and grabbed his hand shouting outwards towards the sun kissed beach with the pink glow of the setting sun just about to drop seamlessly into the ocean, "Ill race you!"

They ran down the peer jumping into the sand carelessly rolling around laughing as if they were fifteen again. Jack playfully subdued Maria with a kiss, quick but passionate, Maria shocked looked up at Jack who replied, "I just wanted to see what all the buzz was about." Maria scrunched up her nose and giggled as Jack rubbed his ruff cheek against her jaw to ease the heartbreak they were both going to feel soon enough.

Maria laughed and pushed his scruff away from her face, "Soldier, what on Earth would your mother say about you hanging around a girl like me?" she teased him playfully.

Jack didn't think the tease was funny and his happy smile turned into a grim frown. Jack looked down at Maria her eyes so innocent and mischievous, he thought maybe their parents were right that the two of them should forget about one another long ago. Jack rolled off of Maria putting his hands behind his head laying on the sand next to her just thinking into the lowering sunset.

Maria sighed propped herself up on her elbow in the cooling sand facing Jack, all Maria wanted to do was forget just for a moment about everything going on around them. She wanted one more moment to let go of everything, just for one moment her heart squeezed at the thought; of being here without the stress and emotions, for one moment she just wanted her and Jack.

Maria let out a half-hearted chuckle into the cooling air, she was looking out into the sky imagining Jack staying behind not because he loved her but because they were friends, or at least until the tide came in again. With its cooling touch grasping onto her toes she blinked and was back into reality, one she'd rather forget then be apart of.

Jack took Maria's hand in his, she could almost see a tear in his eye. He bent down slowly and kissed her fingers lightly as if they were part of heaven itself. Neither of them said a word as they stared into one another's eyes for the last time, they both knew that time would go on and they would forget one another but for right now they were both holding on to this moment like it was their last breaths.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just wrote this one day and decided I would share it.

-Audrey