‹ Prequel: Hymn For The Missing
Status: Completed

I'll Never Be The Same

Seven

The rest of the day seemed to drag on and on. The thing I wanted was for it to end already, so that everyone could get on with their lives. Of course nothing ever went my way.

"Miss Wilson, how do you plead?" The judge questioned, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Guilty your Honor." I replied.

The judge nodded, probably not expecting that answer, and turned towards the prosecutors. And the day dragged on...

Image


By mid-afternoon the court had come to a decision. The bailiff addressed everyone to rise, and the judge made his way back to his seat. Everyone else sat back down, except for me.

"Miss Wilson, you have plead guilty to one count of DUI, and one count of vehicular manslaughter," He began. "There's not much else to do in this case so I will sentence you now according to the laws of Florida."

Just then a tear slipped from my eye. I was leaving behind my friends, my family, and it finally hit home. Not that I had much choice in the matter anyway.

"The one count of DUI carries a fine of five hundred dollars, since it is your first offense," He began, scribbling some notes.

"On the other hand though, the one count of vehicular manslaughter carries a fine of up to five thousand dollars, and fifteen years in prison."

By then I was crying so hard I could only nod my head in reply. Fifteen years is a long time.

"I hear-by order you to pay five thousand five hundred dollars to the state, and serve fifteen years in prison. This court is adjourned."

And with the crack of his gavel, it was all over. I heard shuffling noises coming from all directions as the bailiff came over to me and handcuffed my hands behind my back. As he escorted me out of the courtroom, I glanced back at my family. I instantly regretted it, and their sad faces will stay burned in my memory until the day I die.

Coming to terms with a future like mine is never easy.
Then again, fifteen years will change your mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost the end. *sad face*
Only one more to go.